Luton airport fire

Which one?

I might be getting one as my next car.

So it was reported at 8.53 but how long before the Fire Service was on scene? How fast did the fire spread. I would have thought a quick response could have made a telling difference?
Quick response by the Emergency services are a distant past due to cut backs , Luton Airport have its own Fire Service but this is dedicated to "Airside" protect aircraft and passengers . Airport buildings are the reasponsibility of the Local Fire Service , local Fire brigades have had to close Fire Stations due to cut backs this is progress .

Sponsored Links
Boris closed fire stations and cut back on firefighters jobs as mayor of london. He was sccused of lying about in relation to an election promise.

Blup

Aren't Airport Fire Services funded by the Airport? Probably right to adjust capability inline with demand...

In the year ending March 2023, there were 26,822 dwelling fires. This number has:

decreased by 1.3% compared with the previous year (27,171)
decreased by 13% compared with 5 years ago (30,821)
decreased by 19% compared with 10 years ago (33,300)

387845356_1109834806653943_1532027769653333850_n.jpg

Sponsored Links
Aren't Airport Fire Services funded by the Airport? Probably right to adjust capability inline with demand...

In the year ending March 2023, there were 26,822 dwelling fires. This number has:

decreased by 1.3% compared with the previous year (27,171)
decreased by 13% compared with 5 years ago (30,821)
decreased by 19% compared with 10 years ago (33,300)

So Fire service only attend fires? Road Traffic accidents?

There are four key responsibilities for FRAs that they must ensure that they make provision for including:

• extinguishing fires in their area
  • protecting life and property in the event of fires in their area
  • rescuing and protecting people in the event of a road traffic collision, and
  • rescuing and protecting people in the event of other emergencies.

Why do always want to defend cuts, sure take a 10% cut on your salary.

Quick response by the Emergency services are a distant past due to cut backs , Luton Airport have its own Fire Service but this is dedicated to "Airside" protect aircraft and passengers . Airport buildings are the reasponsibility of the Local Fire Service , local Fire brigades have had to close Fire Stations due to cut backs this is progress .

Repeat after me.

We will cut our way to the future, there is always an efficiency saving that an overpaid management consultant can find.

Once there is nothing left to cut they then declare the service not fit for purpose and then privatise it or sell off its assets.

And the dogs keep on barking their approval.

So Fire service only attend fires? Road Traffic accidents?

There are four key responsibilities for FRAs that they must ensure that they make provision for including:

• extinguishing fires in their area
  • protecting life and property in the event of fires in their area
  • rescuing and protecting people in the event of a road traffic collision, and
  • rescuing and protecting people in the event of other emergencies.

Why do always want to defend cuts, sure take a 10% cut on your salary.

Why do you want to defend spending more money, without establishing if it's needed? I'm totally open to having more fire and rescue capability, but firstly let's establish we have a shortage or increase in demand. Are you aware that spending on the fire service has actually increased significantly? Before you scream about cuts, check there have been any.

The money has to come from council tax.

I'd happily take a 10% cut for a 19% reduction in work.

Last edited:
Why do you want to defend spending more money, without establishing if it's needed? I'm totally open to having more fire and rescue capability, but firstly let's establish we have a shortage or increase in demand. I don't think we do.

The money has to come from council tax.

I'd happily take a 10% cut for a 19% reduction in work.

Yet you are arguing for cutting spending without justfication.

What reduces demand for fire service? Building regs not being watered down or not being adhered to properly - we have exaples of those don't we.

The money can come from central government - council tax only funds about 20% of local services.

I admit, I only had a quick look, but I found long term reduction in demand (covid adjusted) and increase in spending. It doesn't matter if it comes from council tax or central government - tax payers pay.
Look at the budgets.

There are maybe 5 of 6 that seem to need an increase due to reserves, but most are pretty healthy.

I admit, I only had a quick look, but I found long term reduction in demand (covid adjusted) and increase in spending. It doesn't matter if it comes from council tax or central government - tax payers pay.
Look at the budgets.

There are maybe 5 of 6 that seem to need an increase due to reserves, but most are pretty healthy.

So not even kept up with inflation or the increase in population.

The demand has changed - the increase in wild fires due to dryer weather, more high rise buildings, more traffic collissions etc

Demand has changed.

- £500M in reserve.
- Fire incidents are static to slowly declining.
- Road casualties are down 31% since 2012

The data isn't backing up the argument.

Its good that the fire service is able to do other things when they aren't busy.

Repeat after me.

We will cut our way to the future, there is always an efficiency saving that an overpaid management consultant can find.

Once there is nothing left to cut they then declare the service not fit for purpose and then privatise it or sell off its assets.

And the dogs keep on barking their approval.
When I joined the Fire Service (30 Years ago) Chief Fire Officers came up through the ranks starting off as a Fireman , these days they are Management Consultants tempted from an Industrial background by a high salary , their knowledge of firefighting is based on " Pounds , shillings and pence " hence cut backs .

I wonder what the chances are that its been started by an electric car .

Glad to help

"fire crews have revealed the car was diesel powered - despite much speculation that it was an electric vehicle that caused the blaze on social media."

So it was reported at 8.53 but how long before the Fire Service was on scene? How fast did the fire spread. I would have thought a quick response could have made a telling difference?
It would be difficult for the fire brigade to even access the fire, it's not like they can drive in to a multi storey car park. Assuming park outside, make way up stairways/ramps on foot carrying gear, run hoses to/from the dry risers etc? By then all the surrounding cars will be on fire, so probably too hot to even fight the fire from inside?

The liverpool multi storey fire 6 years ago gobbled up about 1600 cars, again no sprinkler system

Sponsored Links
Back