mass exodus !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
come and join me at Nat West :LOL: my missus is, then she is only a low earner and can ill afford the £10 a month F D ( HSBC ) are imposing :evil: :evil:

Sponsored Links
Yep, heard it on the news today.

First Direct (part of HSBC) are now charging £10 per month for a standard current account if you pay in less than £1500 and/or don't use their insurance or other services. According to the newsreader, it is thought that this will soon be carried across to all HSBC accounts, and depending on just how badly it's received, other banks may follow suit.

Once again the less well-of (i.e. ME :evil: ) look set to be penalised just for being less well-off. Fortunately I'm not with HSBC, but if all banks decide to do this then what can I do?

Personally I've always disliked banks anyway, given the choice I'd be paid weekly in cash and keep it in a drawer at home (I don't earn enough for any interest to be significant).

Unfortunately for HSBC, I think this is going to turn into a PR disaster. I have an inactive FD account, when I got the letter, I rang them up asking to close the account, I can't get the bu88ers off the phone now.

Sponsored Links
My son is disabled by a long term illness and lives off benefits (and me !!) He is one of millions who were forced by this government to open a bank account when they stopped paying benefits through a post office book

These are the type of people who will be hit hardest by this scheme

It makes me even angrier against this bunch of thieving **** :evil: :evil:

swelec said:
It makes me even angrier against this bunch of thieving **** :evil: :evil:

Sorry to hear about your son swelec. I think it is terrible that people are 'forced' to use a service. Benefits agencies, some employers, etc insist that you have a bank account - is this right?

I had an issue with my bank recently that has really annoyed me. I was charged £75 for them paying a direct debit of £6.75 due to insufficient funds being in the account. I know that it was my fault for not ensuring there was enough money in the account, but I did not ask them to pay the direct debit, so in my opinion they should have just left it unpaid and let me sort it out. The letter I received from them just said that as my acount did not have sufficient funds, they would be applying 'admin charges'.

I use 2 banks, and normally enurse that funds have been transferred into the account in question, but unfortunately I was working in a remote area and forgot to check things before I left. I phoned them to explain the circumstances and they agreed to half this figure. I was still not happy with this, so I have written to them to ask for a detailed account of how they came to this figure. If I am being charged for a 'service' then I think I have the right to know exactly how they break this down and justify the 'bill' :evil:

Blimey we need a Motorists Union and Bank users union and more !!
Get enough people acting lawfully but in unison, changes can be made quicker than the ballot box allows... That only gets one 'more of the same' today it would seem.
;)

I saw a suggestion somewhere where someone suggested that all First Direct/HSBC customers should bombard their website with complaints about this on a daily basis, sooner or later this will either grind their servers or their staff to a halt, and no doubt that will make the news and give them some more bad publicity.

I have also heard a rumour from a friend of a freind of someone who works for another high street bank that the other banks are going to follow suit, they where just waiting for someone else to go first :evil:

It will only annoy people who haven't got plenty of money, and I expect the bank will be glad to see most of them go :(

The ones who stay will be paying lots of bank charges and the bank will be glad to keep them :( :( :(

Left HSBC many years ago after they changed from Midland Bank..bunch of shylarks..

But then Lloyds-TSB are no better!! :confused:

As soon as an initiative is launched to 'improve matters', they get worse for many.
Pensions .. NHS .. Environment .. Safety .. ID cards .. War ..... :(

Oh for a govn majority of 1... might hamstring the buqqers, but may save us the relish of pouring dosh into the revenues leaky pipe.
:D

JohnD said:
It will only annoy people who haven't got plenty of money, and I expect the bank will be glad to see most of them go :(

The ones who stay will be paying lots of bank charges and the bank will be glad to keep them :( :( :(

Yeah, I tend to agree with this.

I tried something as a bit of an experiment some years ago .............I let a bank account run with very little money in it. Suddenly I begin to get all of these letters arriving offering me a loan. Ok, I know that these come through the post anyway, but there was DEFINITELY an increase at this time. As far as I was concerned, it highlighted the fact that banks will try anything to get money out of you :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back