Missing Members

Sponsored Links
Why are none of you acknowledging the obvious, that they may have died? Maybe we need a forum members obituaries thread? Or a good riddance one even?

Sponsored Links
Why are none of you acknowledging the obvious, that they may have died? Maybe we need a forum members obituaries thread? Or a good riddance one even?

I had thought that. One of the pitfalls of the internet is that when people go, nobody knows. Unless a member is friends in real life with another, then it will remain a mystery. When I go, will I be remembered here? Probably not!

I had thought that. One of the pitfalls of the internet is that when people go, nobody knows. Unless a member is friends in real life with another, then it will remain a mystery. When I go, will I be remembered here? Probably not!

I can think of several examples of this. First was a bloke called peterperfection who was boasting for some time about his upcoming hol to Mexico. Unfortunately he had a Sean Connery and died in Mexico in 2013. His wife knew his Diynot password and made several posts to tell us what happened.

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/charnwood-good-wishes-mate.378796/page-4#post-2914804

Then there was a really decent regular on here called Charnwood who worked in a plumbers merchants, if my memory serves me. He wrote about his losing battle with cancer on here, then suddenly was gone.

Then there was the bloke who accidentally cut his throat with an angle grinder - his name escapes me.

Very sad. I read years ago a nice piece somebody wrote on this topic, it was from a Google account perspective, and talking about how you never have the heart to remove them from your friends list, and sometimes after they pass still look at their profile in the hope that the little green light comes back on for a moment, so you can have a chat.

Last edited:
Very sad. I read years ago a nice piece somebody wrote on this topic, it was from a Google account perspective, and talking about how you never have the heart to remove them from your friends list, and sometimes after the pass still look at their profile in the hope that the little green light comes back on for a moment, so you can have a chat.

I still have one or two friends' mobile numbers in the phone book of my phone who are no longer with us. Can't bring myself to delete them.

Also, a friend died of cancer a few years ago and a few of us still wish him a happy birthday every year - I think his wife keeps the Facebook account active to allow this.

He was a legend - blind, but built an MG from parts he bought online. Another friend took it through its MOT, and I took him out for a drive 2 weeks before he died. I was actually supposed to drive the V8 he built, but it had a fuel leak and we had to take the other out.

I can think of several examples of this. First was a bloke called peterperfection who was boasting for some time about his upcoming hol to Mexico. Unfortunately he had a Sean Connery and died in Mexico in 2013. His wife knew his Diynot password and made several posts to tell us what happened.

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/charnwood-good-wishes-mate.378796/page-4#post-2914804

Then there was a really decent regular on here called Charnwood who worked in a plumbers merchants, if my memory serves me. He wrote about his losing battle with cancer on here, then suddenly was gone.

Then there was the bloke who accidentally cut his throat with an angle grinder - his name escapes me.
He was ???? 665 neighbour of the beast, can't remember the first part

I still have one or two friends' mobile numbers in the phone book of my phone who are no longer with us. Can't bring myself to delete them.
I had a friend who died of cancer, and he used his mobile for his business as well as social, so his wife and sons kept it on as they kept running the business. I never bothered to delete or edit the entry in my phone book, and one day one of them phoned me using it. :(

We had a long-term member on an old forum I used to belong to who had cancer and his last post was that he was losing his fight and saying goodbye to us. It was so sad not hearing from him again.

I had a friend who died of cancer, and he used his mobile for his business as well as social, so his wife and sons kept it on as they kept running the business. I never bothered to delete or edit the entry in my phone book, and one day one of them phoned me using it. :(

I have kept the phone of someone who died, and I occasionally check it for calls or messages.

Increasingly rare, but sadly I have to contact them and explain.

After my late mother died, I was annoyed by continuing cold callers and scammers, and used to say, "she can't come to the phone, she's in the garden."

(urn was buried under a Camellia bush)

Sponsored Links
Back