Off peak electric wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
16B6FD32-32C6-42F7-8647-0B805D65E753.jpeg
does this look correct ? Im concerned The storage heating runs 24/7 and not just switching on during off peak times. I expected to see a timer or something or does this happen in the meter which has a seperate live feed to the LH consumer unit which supplies the heaters.

Sponsored Links
The meter has a tele switch built in to it, what concerns me is the apparent lack of an earth wire going to the off peak consumer unit

View attachment 149078 does this look correct ? Im concerned The storage heating runs 24/7 and not just switching on during off peak times. I expected to see a timer or something or does this happen in the meter which has a seperate live feed to the LH consumer unit which supplies the heaters.
The switching is done within the meter, the brown wire is correctly wired in as off peak.
I'm surprised the neutral comes directly from the company fuse but electrically there's nothing wrong with that.
BUT where is the earth for the off peak consumer unit, I see the green/yellow to the right hand consumer unit but nothing else. I assume you have no gas so that doesn't require bonding but how about the water pipe?

Edit: I didn't see CB's reply.

Thanks guys. No gas. Im renting. Will look at the earthing (y)

Sponsored Links
Will look at the earthing
There are other problems:

Large holes in the top of both consumer units where the cables enter.
Connector blocks on the supply to the storage heater consumer unit do not appear to be fixed to the wall or anything else.
None of the grey cables appear to be supported or fixed in any way
No RCD on the storage heater circuits - which is OK if the cables are all surface mounted. Not if they are concealed in the walls.

Definitely no earth between met and off peak board

RCD's may not have been required at the time of install.

Best without them for storage heaters

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back