Our Involvement In Syria...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...should be nothing at all.

We should keep our noses out. Let them get on with it.

Last time this happened, Bliar reckoned there was WMD's and we got involved. Like a poodle, he sucked up to Bush (that sounds a bit wrong) and, guess what, there were no WMD's.

All that killing and maiming and for nothing.

Have we learnt nothing??

Sponsored Links
My personal view is that the UK should stay out of it. Our time as part of the World's police force is at an end. There's enough other countries in the UN to form any force that wants to go in. (not that Russia and China will ever agree to such a mandate)
If there's proof that chemical weapons have been used, then they have to search further and find out which side used them. I don't trust Assad and I don't trust the rebels either. ;) ;)

Remind me of what Edmund Burke said.

Of course we must do something to protect the innocent and the children, but it should be done through the United Nations.

Sponsored Links
I've always maintained that we should keep our noses out, both of this mess and also any other trouble-spot that doesn't directly involve us.

What our rulers still find difficult to understand is that we are now a second- (or even third-) rate nation. We seem to like being told what to do, be it by the EU or the USA and, for some reason I can't quite work out, follow their lead without question.

The UN is preparing an in depth report on the recent chemical attacks.... check.

The UN has qualified, experienced staff on the ground to determine the details.... check.

The UN will in due course produce an accurate report and determination of who launched the attack on whom.... maybe.

The US has already made up its mind.... check, well I was going to say check out Tuesday 27th Aug BBC Newsnight and provide a link, but searching iPlayer for "newsnight" nothing more recent than 23rd August is now available. In the 27th Aug broadcast of Newsnight there was a US DoD spokeswoman talking about the evidence they have supporting that it was a strike by the Assad 'regime', and quote "let there be no question about that".

If the US have the evidence, publish it. Then there would be no need to question the soundbites. Let's see them show their entire called hand before our MP's make a badly informed decision on Thursday.

I question why the US, UK and France are trying to move so swiftly to take action ahead of the UN investigation.

This will not end well. Act in haste repent at leisure etc.

I don't personally believe we should intervene but weapons inspections resumed today and no decision should be taken on anything until the investigation is complete and the report published. I heard the inspectors said they need another 14 days.

Meanwhile the World of warmongers are talking about taking out Assad's chemical weapon stockpile. How are they going to do that exactly? Drop tonnes of bombs and missiles on it. Doesn't sound very sensible to me.

I question why the US, UK and France are trying to move so swiftly to take action ahead of the UN investigation.

This will not end well. Act in haste repent at leisure etc.

Hans Blick and the rest of the UN inspectors found bugger all in Iraq,didn't stop the allies bombing the ****e out of the country,won't stop them now.

That was my point! They found no WMD's in Iraq, but pushed ahead with an illegal war - didn't even wait for the UN...

I fear history repeating itself.

I don't want to be part of this.

What worries me is that al qaeda are fighting in Syria and they have no problem killing anyone what if they fired the rocket not the government it would get the strike on the government they want

What worries me is that al qaeda are fighting in Syria and they have no problem killing anyone what if they fired the rocket not the government it would get the strike on the government they want
That's exactly why the inspectors must be allowed to complete their work. It's not the same as Iraq. There's no question here about whether weapons of mass destruction exist. They do exist and have been used. The question here is if the inspectors can identify the chemicals used and if they can be traced back to a source. You have to wonder what motive the Syrians had for using them (if they did) but on the other hand you can't exactly buy chemical weapons off ebay. If it's the rebel lot where did they get them from? (Yes I know, Saudi most likely - but I mean how did they get them?)

Sponsored Links
Back