Smart Meters

Sponsored Links
no mention off the fact you can be disconnected remotely would the poorer in society vote 88% in favour if they knew that ???

Last edited:
Unsurprisingly, I had a letter last year informing me that they were increasing the direct debit (even though I was in credit by a large amount) I phoned them up and spoke with a lovely woman who said the computer had made a mistake (ahh like computers make mistakes,,, more like someone entering data made a mistake, or the program is designed to make them more money) and my direct debit would be in fact, reducing. Had I not bothered to phone them, I'm sure by this time , I'd have been in credit by at least £500+ . You have me now seriously considering cancelling the direct debit and just paying the bills when they arrive each quarter. I shall mull this over for a few days.

I have had this experience many times. No utility company has ever rung me up to tell me that they have been benefiting from hundreds of pounds of mine for many months and would I like it back? (or even done it without a courtesy call..)

In fact, before switching was commonplace, they were so reluctant to return my cash, not only did I have to ring up and pester these thieves for my money back, I had to argue and threaten legal action. In one case, I was eventually told after lots of heated discussion that yes, they would return my excess payments, but they would have to double the DD....

Nowadays they are a little less reluctant. There should be a monitor on the account so that when you get £XXX in credit, there is an automatic payment back to your bank.

Sponsored Links
no mention off the fact you can be disconnected remotely would the poorer in society vote 88% in favour if they new that ???
You get disconnected for not paying your bills. Does it matter that you are disconnected remotely, or by someone turning up on your door to disconnect you?
Having asked that question, I now realise it is a rhetorical question. Of course it matters to those who are likely to be disconnected for not paying their bills. If you can be disconnected remotely you will have less opportunity to increase your debt, or more likely to pay your bills. Whereas if someone has to turn up at your property to disconnect you, the opportunity (or motivation) to continue to consume energy and increase your debt is greatly enhanced.

no mention off the fact you can be disconnected remotely would the poorer in society vote 88% in favour if they new that ???
Are you saying that energy suppliers should make it EASIER to steal their product?

There are some in society who should never be disconnected, regardless of the debt. These people do not steal energy, they need it to survive. It's just unfortunate there are not always the systems in place to allow these people to use as much energy as they need without worrying about the bill and this is a shameful situation.

There are some in society who should never be disconnected, regardless of the debt. These people do not steal energy, they need it to survive. It's just unfortunate there are not always the systems in place to allow these people to use as much energy as they need without worrying about the bill and this is a shameful situation.

The same people probably have plenty of cash for smoking and drinking and binge eating until their bellies block sight of anything below their navel.
Squandered their money and then expect others to pay up.
Yep..all too typical.

The same people probably have plenty of cash for smoking and drinking and binge eating until their bellies block sight of anything below their navel.
Squandered their money and then expect others to pay up.
Yep..all too typical.

No.

I'm talking about:

1. Elderly folk on the breadline who have to go to bed fully clothed and are STILL cold, because they are very thin.

These people have no spare money to drink and smoke, even if they wanted to.

2. Disabled folk who have medical and physical conditions meaning they need warm surroundings at a constant steady temperature.

If these people have a large belly, it is often due to being unable to exercise enough and/ or medical conditions (there are many, it is not an "excuse") that cause weight gain.

It is shameful that in this day and age, these people cannot get

a: sufficient financial help from the government to ensure they never want for energy

b: subsidies or exemptions from the utility companies to reduce or eliminate their debts/ bills

..... It's just unfortunate there are not always the systems in place to allow these people to use as much energy as they need ....

2. Disabled folk who have medical and physical conditions meaning they need warm surroundings at a constant steady temperature.

a: sufficient financial help from the government to ensure they never want for energy

b: subsidies or exemptions from the utility companies to reduce or eliminate their debts/ bills
There is a system in place (PIP) to help these people. I do not suggest it is perfect, but it does exist.

No.

I'm talking about:

1. Elderly folk on the breadline who have to go to bed fully clothed and are STILL cold, because they are very thin.

These people have no spare money to drink and smoke, even if they wanted to.

If these people have a large belly, it is often due to being unable to exercise enough and/ or medical conditions (there are many, it is not an "excuse") that cause weight gain.

Well the country is not that well off. Governments have racked up huge debts giving billions away on foreign aid, squandering vast sums on failed projects at home etc and on top of that they have squandered billions on the failing eu project. Then we had tony bliar who squandered billions on failed foreign wars.
The progressives said they'd liberate the middle east from oppression. An arab spring they said with democracy for everyone. Instead they got IS and terrorism on a vast scale.
And now they can't even provide for the sick and vulnerable at home.
And want the sick and vulnerable from the foreign countries to join us.
Idiots.
And when someone like trump comes along to try and sort the mess out, the BWR (Banner Waving *******) who created the mess in the first place rise up throwing their toys out off the pram.

Last edited:

So how do you tell the difference between a needy poor person and a ***** weed grower? Should these needy poor people be allowed to steal anything they want? Petrol? Food? Clothes? Booze?
Hang on, I'm sure there are things in place to help the poor needy people with paying energy bills....? Is it the fault of the energy companies that these people choose to spend that money on fags, booze and a betting slip?

Yawn. I have already said that those who are truly needy cannot afford tobacco and alcohol.

Society as a whole has responsibility to help those who truly cannot help themselves. I know there is some help from the Government via benefits like PIP and there is (or at least used to be) schemes helping people with energy bills but it is not enough.

Last edited:
Yawn. I have already said that those who are truly needy cannot afford tobacco and alcohol.
some people simply dont do there homework to find out the facts or are wind up merchants :rolleyes:
the information is about 3 years old but only about 2.3% off all benefits goes on unemployment benefit

Sponsored Links
Back