Smart Meters

You get disconnected for not paying your bills. Does it matter that you are disconnected remotely, or by someone turning up on your door to disconnect you?
Having asked that question, I now realise it is a rhetorical question. Of course it matters to those who are likely to be disconnected for not paying their bills. If you can be disconnected remotely you will have less opportunity to increase your debt, or more likely to pay your bills. Whereas if someone has to turn up at your property to disconnect you, the opportunity (or motivation) to continue to consume energy and increase your debt is greatly enhanced.

Let's talk about who your main account is. Much more interesting topic of conversation

Sponsored Links
Yawn. I have already said that those who are truly needy cannot afford tobacco and alcohol.
I know people who can not afford tobacco or alcohol, yet they still buy it. And that's the sad (but real) state of things. Some of these truly poor people will ask for more money then spend it on beer, fags and weed.

Non-transferable energy vouchers would be a better idea.

Non-transferable energy vouchers would be a better idea.
This is a good idea.
Those who really need it should be helped. After all, with folk like the elderly who live in fuel poverty cost the NHS quite a lot of money. If it's not a basic temp in the home things like strokes are more common in the elderly, so which is cheaper for the government? More money to heat homes or weeks of hospital care and therapy? Then there is the premature deaths in the elderly because of the cold. It's pretty poor in this day and age.

to be fair pensioners get winter fuel allowance off around £200
and others on benefits with young children can get additional payment iff its below freezing for several days in row unless its changed in recent years off course:confused:

Sponsored Links
There used to be a reduced elec and gas rate for people on benefits, but you had to ask your supplier if they did one, as it wasn't advertised at all, but they stopped doing it a few years ago. If you get behind in your water charges, they bend over backwards to get you paying it agin, and will write off half the arrears, and I got a letter from the southern water yesterday saying I was in credit, so they were reducing my direct debit charge. I've never seen the big six do anything like that.

I know people who can not afford tobacco or alcohol, yet they still buy it. And that's the sad (but real) state of things. Some of these truly poor people will ask for more money then spend it on beer, fags and weed.
No. By truly poor, I mean people who do not have or use: tobacco, alcohol, recreational drugs, computers, broadband, mobiles, TV services, cars etcetera....

You are not truly poor if you can afford non-essential or luxury items. To spend money on these items when you have not paid for the essentials is monumental stupidity.
Non-transferable energy vouchers would be a better idea

Yes, that's a good idea.

the trouble with vouchers is they dont work
what level would you set them at ??
if you are frugal with your power use you are penalized
most people on benefits are not unemployed
off the approximate 209billion [approximate 3 years ago]
about 45%goes on the elderly
18% on children
17.5 on ill or disabled
16.6 on low income
2.2% on unemployed

Are people under the impression that the Government cares about such things?

They even pay housing benefit to the tenant so that they don't need to give it to the landlord if they don't want to.

Here's another with a particularly interesting quote.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...giving-readings-seven-times-high-study-finds/

They also come with monitors so customers can better understand their energy usage. Under Government plans which are set to cost £11 billion, every home in Britain will have a smart meter installed by 2020.

Critics have warned that it is unclear whether smart meters will save consumers any money, and could even end up costing them, as they are paying for the roll-out through higher energy bills.

According to a report by First Utility, one of the UK's biggest energy suppliers, UK households face a 42 per cent rise in the amount they pay to support government green energy initiatives, including smart meters.

Nice to know that by 2020 every home and business will have been "offered" one. As they said at Grange Hill "Just say no".

A old hand has suggested that when gas and electricity meters are "Smart" and send meter reading by phone to the supplier the savvy consumer will be looking at secondary mechanical meters to get a realistic reading when the accuracy of data sent to the supplier is contested.

Shocking to think of those billions spent on installing smart meters that money could have been used to build a state of the art geothermal plant somewhere (public owned).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothermal_power_in_the_United_Kingdom

Geothermal energy development in the UK has been limited, partly due to the lack of high enthalpy resources, but also due to the availability of cheap fossil fuels.[4] However, when comparisons are made to countries in a similar tectonic setting, it is clear that the UK is underutilizing this potential resource. The lack of geothermal development has largely been a result of the availability of North Sea natural gas during the 1980s and 1990s.[4]

Interest in the geothermal energy resources of the UK rose again in the 2000s, as a potential way of addressing some of the UK's "energy gap"

Here's another with a particularly interesting quote.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...giving-readings-seven-times-high-study-finds/

They also come with monitors so customers can better understand their energy usage. Under Government plans which are set to cost £11 billion, every home in Britain will have a smart meter installed by 2020.

Critics have warned that it is unclear whether smart meters will save consumers any money, and could even end up costing them, as they are paying for the roll-out through higher energy bills.

According to a report by First Utility, one of the UK's biggest energy suppliers, UK households face a 42 per cent rise in the amount they pay to support government green energy initiatives, including smart meters.
so a 42% rise in what ??
if its the green energy bit off about 9% off total bill that takes it up to perhaps 12.78as a percentage so about a 3.78% increase in relation to the total

Sponsored Links
Back