Stay Home?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18243
  • Start date
I found today to be pretty bad too. Headache, blocked nose and sore throat. I keep thinking "Is this hay fever or the beginning of the virus”. :cautious:
This to me is the big problem, once you have been ill, with any thing, you then don't know if clear or not, once some one has tested positive and recovered then no reason for lock down, but need testing to know.

Sponsored Links
On a somewhat morbid note :-

This virus, worse it seems than 'flu
Has power its size belies.
It gets into your body through
Your mouth, your nose, your eyes.
You'll maybe have a temperature
That rises day by day;
A hacking cough, not there before,
That just won't go away.
But if you have to fight for breath
It may, alas, portend
A trip to A & E, then death:
A most unpleasant end.
Let's keep to social distancing
To check the virus spread,
So medicos can do their thing,
Or else we'll all be dead! :)

Keep safe, guys 'n gals.

This to me is the big problem, once you have been ill, with any thing, you then don't know if clear or not, once some one has tested positive and recovered then no reason for lock down, but need testing to know.

Yep, which is why every health expert has said from the start, test, test, test.
And all we did was say "herd immunity, keep the economy strong"
Oops.

I leave the house to food shop once a week, and go for a walk most days - rarely see anybody on my walk. Kids and wife mostly stay in.
All food delivery slots are taken already around here, so I have no choice but to go to the shops. At least the shops are quieter now, eerily so.

Sponsored Links
A patriot and a nationalist are the same thing. People add "slants" to the meanings of words, to alter them to suit political ends or to mislead, but I adhere only to correct English. For example gay means cheerful, not homosexual - that is a corruption of the word.
Used to mean. The use and meaning of words evolves. If you now speak 'correct English' according to the OED then it also can mean homosexual.

The idea that English was ever a static and non- evolving mess is historical fiction. People have been moaning about corruption since before Shakespeare.

Used to mean. The use and meaning of words evolves. If you now speak 'correct English' according to the OED then it also can mean homosexual.
Exactly.But not according to EFL ..no such thing as language evolving.

I've never said that.

I have said it occurs ONLY because of ignorance and mistakes.

Take Festive's "would of". If that were to become accepted by the OED as "correct" then it will be because of ignorance and mistakes.

The alternative is that it was done on purpose for no reason which is ludicrous.

Take Festive's "would of". If that were to become accepted by the OED as "correct" then it will be because of ignorance and mistakes.

Exactly. Don't accept change when it's change for the worst. Stay conservative, stay safe.

Exactly. Don't accept change when it's change for the worst. Stay conservative, stay safe.
And yet, that is exactly how language evolves. On this one you're on the side of the Dodo.

Then why is the OED not full of grunts, which is precisely how many youngsters "communicate" nowadays , and have done since God knows when?

Then why is the OED not full of grunts, which is precisely how many youngsters "communicate" nowadays , and have done since God knows when?
The OED lags behind language in common use. That is fairly clear as it only adds words after they're in common use, it doesn't invent them.

But you're right, old fogeys have been moaning about the corruption of English for centuries.

I'll bet you a pound to a pinch that Festive is only using "of" instead of "have" as a wind up.
Regardless of how he pronounces words, I would be staggered if he managed to get through education without having that written usage corrected out of him, if he ever used it at all.

Sponsored Links
Back