Stay Home?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18243
  • Start date
I do wonder about this second home thing, fair enough don't want people stopping in caravan and similar holiday accommodation, in the main they are in camps of some type, which means near impossible to social distance, but if some one has a second house, and is paying 40% surcharge on council tax as a second home, and the home is really a home not a holiday shack, why the heck should they not use it? OK should not be travelling between them, but even that, there are some reasons.

As it happens my son is using my second home to isolate from rest of family so I have no intention to travel from Mid Wales to North Wales to our other house, is was to be sold, and we were doing regular trips before lock down to transfer our furniture etc. Our plans to sell it have had to be put on hold, and since son is living in it not problem with maintenance and collecting mail, we are lucky we can be sure house OK without visiting.

However there must be people who are in the middle of a move like us who don't have a family member who can move into one property, one has a year to sell second home before you get the 40% surcharge, I seem to remember I can leave the property for 3 weeks under insurance rules, but over that time insurance becomes void.

As it stands to use a click and collect I have to travel 50 miles, in my other house click and collect 5 miles, so had my son not be living there, there would be a good reason to swap which is our main residence. But other house is a semi, so exercise would mean walking around the estate, here detached, so I can walk round and round the house, no need to use public road for exercise, so prefer to be here.

But if some one like me owns two houses why should they be told they can't use one? OK I can see saying make your mind up and no travelling between them all the time, if Scotland's chief medical officer mistake or not can travel over an hour between to homes, why should anyone else not do the same? Will Boris go to Checkers? If he does then everyone else should be able to use a second home.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A patriot and a nationalist are the same thing. .

No they aren't.

That's you, corrupting the meaning of words to add your own slant in an attempt to make them mean what you want them to mean.

Sponsored Links
I'm self isolating in my bedroom now. And I'll stay here until I stop sneezing.
Nothing gets me down more than Hay fever....

Last edited by a moderator:
On the subject of selfish homes - My mother lives in a small village in coastal Northumberland, a village where 60% of the houses are either selfish homes or holiday lets. She tells me it is just fantastic there at the moment as the village has resorted to its peaceful tranquillity of 40 or 50 years ago. I think she is hoping the lock down can continue for the rest of the decade.

On the subject of selfish homes - My mother lives in a small village in coastal Northumberland, a village where 60% of the houses are either selfish homes or holiday lets. She tells me it is just fantastic there at the moment as the village has resorted to its peaceful tranquillity of 40 or 50 years ago. I think she is hoping the lock down can continue for the rest of the decade.
I also live in a small village, in my case in Mid Wales, there is normally a heritage railway running this time of the year, so yes very peaceful. However the county council charge an extra 40% for second homes, so the second home owners reduce our rates, yes I am sure we would all like our village populated 356 days a year, turning it into a thriving town, well technically it is a town, but I see no reason why some one who pays band B or greater council tax plus 40% should not use the property to split the family workers and non workers over this trying time, it makes sense, why risk the family? And by demonstration that is being done by the PM, and I think it is right he goes to Checkers to recover, but if he can do it, so should every one else who has a reasonable sized second home.

Not in this case though(nearly as busy as Brighton beach)

Terrorist funeral
1586443916641.jpg--police_investigating_after__some_people_blatantly_ignore__health_advice_at_funeral_of_former_sinn_fein_councillor.jpg
A bit ironic,normally these clowns wouldn't be seen dead without their masks when they are terrorising innocent folk but at the very time when they should be wearing masks to save lives they don't.

My outlaws have a holiday home in a very quiet and small park in mid Wales.

They'd have been fine down there, pottering around and weeding their little patch.
No more bother to them or others, than staying at home.

I also live in a small village, in my case in Mid Wales, there is normally a heritage railway running this time of the year, so yes very peaceful. However the county council charge an extra 40% for second homes, so the second home owners reduce our rates, yes I am sure we would all like our village populated 356 days a year, turning it into a thriving town, well technically it is a town, but I see no reason why some one who pays band B or greater council tax plus 40% should not use the property to split the family workers and non workers over this trying time, it makes sense, why risk the family? And by demonstration that is being done by the PM, and I think it is right he goes to Checkers to recover, but if he can do it, so should every one else who has a reasonable sized second home.

Anyone hit by this 40% premium should put the property up for sale at a high price and claim class 1 exemption.

Hogsgt of the highest order
Not really, there's a lot of studies that found a link (where low levels of ethnic minorities match up with high levels of concern about the negative effects of immigration), although there's also studies that show the opposite. It's not a simple topic but it is more than just hogshit.

I'm self isolating in my bedroom now. And I'll stay here until I stop sneezing.
Nothing gets me down more than Hay fever....
I found today to be pretty bad too. Headache, blocked nose and sore throat. I keep thinking "Is this hay fever or the beginning of the virus”. :cautious:

Sponsored Links
Back