Stay Home?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18243
  • Start date
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Just because something is done by a lot of people (like using new words) doesn't make it right. A lot of people are ignoring the lockdown, are they right ?
If they invent a new word for it, yes they are.

I thought that was the strength of the English language, it's fluidity and that is a complete mongrel. Also very illogical.

I thought that was the strength of the English language, it's fluidity and that is a complete mongrel. Also very illogical.
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
--James D. Nicoll

Cribhouse definition

If you know any other languages, you'll realise just how logical English is.

Just because something is done by a lot of people (like using new words) doesn't make it right.
The whole point of language is to communicate. If people are commonly using words, ether new ones or changing the meaning of old ones then yes, it's right. Language has always evolved, moved with the times - just like the people who use them.

Sponsored Links
Back