Stay Home?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18243
  • Start date
I don't know, I'm not familiar with Hungarian, are you?
It's frequently on the 'hardest languages to learn' lists, although to be fair that doesn't mean it's as illogical as English.

But you clearly had a language in mind, please, share...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It's not logical, one of my fav English words is
schadenfreude (deriving pleasure out of someone else's misfortune) Ok obviously it's German, but as we have no equivalent, let's just nick it.
Other languages nick our words too. i.e. in Italian it's more convoluted to say weekend so now the word weekend is creeping into Italian.
It's frequently on the 'hardest languages to learn' lists, although to be fair that doesn't mean it's as illogical as English.

But you clearly had a language in mind, please, share...
I speak Italian and Spanish, albeit not as well as I would like.
If I have to explain and English word or expression to any of my Italian or Spanish friends they will say; "of course, it's logical.
They always comment on how logical English is.
If I wanted to call you a dikchaed in Italian I would have to say that you were una testa di cazzo. It would be far simpler in English.

Last edited:
one of my fav German words is
gloating (deriving pleasure out of someone else's misfortune)

Obviously it's English, but the Germans have no equivalent.

Logic certainly makes languages easy to learn.

GermanArticles.jpg

I would be amused listening to Bangladeshi women chatting speaking Bengali then breaking into a full English sentence then returning to Bengali.

Ok. What is logical about "terribly good"? The OED has decided that 'terribly' now just means 'very'; it does not.

How many people calling this
upload_2020-4-17_21-50-34.png

a giraffe would make the OED think it was correct?

I would be amused listening to Bangladeshi women chatting speaking Bengali then breaking into a full English sentence then returning to Bengali.

Welsh do the same.

one of my fav German words is
gloating (deriving pleasure out of someone else's misfortune)

Obviously it's English, but the Germans have no equivalent.

We'll I don't think gloating is equivalent as you gloat or have self satisfaction but doesn't necessarily include feeling satisfied that it's someone else's misfortune that caused that. but who cares schadenfreude a good word and sums up a specific feeling (not a laudable one i'll add)

Last edited by a moderator:
Other languages nick our words too. i.e. in Italian it's more convoluted to say weekend so now the word weekend is creeping into Italian.

I speak Italian and Spanish, albeit not as well as I would like.
If I have to explain and English word or expression to any of my Italian or Spanish friends they will say; "of course, it's logical.
They always comment on how logical English is.
If I wanted to call you a dikchaed in Italian I would have to say that you were una testa di cazzo. It would be far simpler in English.

I know, neither bigging up English or putting it down.

Get up to Bradford then, your sides will be splitting.

My leftie-ometer has detected a fair few "British is bad" posts from IT Minion lately! He will go far, that lad.

Sponsored Links
Back