Stay Home?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18243
  • Start date
Sponsored Links
Other languages nick our words too. i.e. in Italian it's more convoluted to say weekend so now the word weekend is creeping into Italian.

I speak Italian and Spanish, albeit not as well as I would like.
If I have to explain and English word or expression to any of my Italian or Spanish friends they will say; "of course, it's logical.
They always comment on how logical English is.
If I wanted to call you a dikchaed in Italian I would have to say that you were una testa di cazzo. It would be far simpler in English.
You're confusing being succinct and logical. English is not as logical as Spanish by a massive stretch.

Sponsored Links
This is a succinct reply. It is however utterly illogical as a response to your question. The two concepts have very little overlap. We have a huge number of irregular verbs and other really awkward concepts and exceptions. Many other languages, like Spanish, have fewer of these 'learn all the exceptions'.
Freddie filled in his form by filling it out? Why do performers recite a play, yet play at a recital? A slim chance and a fat chance are the same thing, but then a wise guy and a wise man mean completely different things.
Or click here for more.

A slim chance and a fat chance are the same thing, but then a wise guy and a wise man mean completely different things.

Those are slang expressions, there's no point in citing them as examples to compare with other languages, unless you are comparing them with the slang of other languages.

Recite a play / play at a recital - what's wrong with those? Play is a noun or verb.

"Fill out" is a Tony Blair-ism, therefore beneath contempt.

What about flammable and inflammable? Sound like opposites but mean the same thing.

Those are slang expressions, there's no point in citing them as examples to compare with other languages, unless you are comparing them with the slang of other languages.

Recite a play / play at a recital - what's wrong with those? Play is a noun or verb.

"Fill out" is a Tony Blair-ism, therefore beneath contempt.

What about flammable and inflammable? Sound like opposites but mean the same thing.
Are you trying to prove or disprove my point?

There isn't much point arguing which language is better. What are you going to do about it?

English is a mixture of several languages and so surely must have more oddities that are difficult to learn.

As people say when talking about the war - if the Germans had one we would be speaking German.
If it wasn't for the Germans you wouldn't be speaking English as we know it in the first place.

Either way, what difference does it make?

Who began starting every sentence with "so"?
Who started the seemingly compulsory unnecessary preposition in the wrong place?
Closed off, blocked off, wired up, swapped out - if you can't use the opposite then it isn't necessary.

The classic traffic reporters' "opened back up".

As people say when talking about the war - if the Germans had one we would be speaking German.
If it wasn't for the Germans you wouldn't be speaking English as we know it in the first place.

We could be but also possible we could be talking Russian.

Either or the ethnic make up of this country would be very different.

Think, thought, who'd have thunk huh?

Tough
Cough
Bough

weird language, but still as said before it's strength is it's fluidity and lack of rigidity.

Think, thought, who'd have thunk huh?

Tough
Cough
Bough

weird language, but still as said before it's strength is it's fluidity and lack of rigidity.

What about this one.
The ground was too tough for the plough to go through.:ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
Back