The right to have multiple children

Status
Not open for further replies.
i also think prior to having children you should be means tested
Before, during or after pregnancy? A lot can happen in 9 months. Would you also agree to a termination clause for those that de-fault your means test, mid-term?

Sponsored Links
we should have birth limits like in china, maximum of 2x children per couple (regardless of lgbtq+ status)

i also think prior to having children you should be means tested
That’s a bit extreme!

Let’s get social credit like China then. Oh wait, that’s on its way though….

There are limits!
Many of the Profs I know, have the untidiest offices and very little common sense! ;)
If you have a population where everyone is exceedingly bright due to selective breeding, who is gonna empty the bins, work 12 hr shifts for minimum wage, wipe bottoms in Nursing homes, work in Wetherspoons, ect. ect.

Sponsored Links
I suppose my underlying point is, is it morally right for a person/couple to have multiple kids if they know hand on heart they can't financially support them or at least go a good way to doing so.

I looked at the woman in the one bed flat with the lounge being used as a sleeping room for x of her kids, and I thought 'at what point did you think it reasonable to have six kids?' Especially when it appears as though, in many of these cases, the dad/s do one ...
Different people have different definitions of support. For middle classes, the questions are usually, do we have enough bedrooms, will we afford an SUV, can we still do 2 holidays abroad? But for some people, just living is all they need - to have a roof over their heads and food on the table.
Reproduction has never been about morals and logical decisions, these are just social constructs made in the last century or so by the ruling elite to control their plebs.

My nan was one of 15 kids. Most survived into adulthood. I am grateful some families are larger!

Historically, we have needed large population pools to ensure there is enough 'cannon fodder' for Centuries of wars! It also ensures a healthy population growth.

Now our natural population growth is too small, so provided there is future work for those born to families on large estates, then we need the growth!

The UK already has vast numbers of unskilled idiots, we're definitely not short of them. But we pay them to sit around and do nothing all day popping babies out and collecting tattoos, so end up filling unskilled jobs with foreigners who don't have the lazy entitled British attitude that afflicts this stupid country, mainly thanks to our stupidly generous benefits system.

There are far fewer unskilled jobs these days anyway - machines do lots of the work that people used to do, plus we import lots of manufactured goods.

Breeding more stupid people definitely won't make Britain great again. We need highly skilled intelligent people, the type who are normally born and bred from those with successful working backgrounds. Exactly the people who don't have kids any more, while those with nothing to offer the world mass-produce more idiots.

We have an absurd benefits system that partly is used to subsidise poor employers and it encourages the wrong sort of behaviour through its incentives.

We need young people to a) be the future workers and b) provide ongoing demand for the economy.

The best way to reduce these outcomes is to raise the incomes of the poorest in society because when people get richer they tend to reproduce less - so we have a situation where birth rates are skewed inversely across income levels.

The UK already has vast numbers of unskilled idiots, we're definitely not short of them. But we pay them to sit around and do nothing all day popping babies out and collecting tattoos, so end up filling unskilled jobs with foreigners who don't have the lazy entitled British attitude that afflicts this stupid country, mainly thanks to our stupidly generous benefits system.

There are far fewer unskilled jobs these days anyway - machines do lots of the work that people used to do, plus we import lots of manufactured goods.

Breeding more stupid people definitely won't make Britain great again. We need highly skilled intelligent people, the type who are normally born and bred from those with successful working backgrounds. Exactly the people who don't have kids any more, while those with nothing to offer the world mass-produce more idiots.

Other countries have far more generous benefits system - what we have is a system that has become nothing more than a backdrop for low pay.

People generally over estimate the effect that Genetics have on IQ. It's predominantly environmental rather than Genetics (although Genetics is a factor). If you take a hundred children from a rich and high IQ family and swapped them with ones from a poor and low IQ family then the ones in the rich and high IQ family would still do better.

There is a lot of very unpleasant history, including in the UK, where the government has decided who can breed and who can't. Treading carefully is important.

Last edited:
Me and my wife have always worked, we saved up and didn't have a child until we were ready a little over a year ago (he is 1 now).

All we are entitled to is £21 a week, which is a mere £5 a week more than my mother was getting when I was born over 30 years ago. To continue working (so we can earn, pay taxes and spend!) there is very little support for childcare. We do get 20% off our monthly bill (which we are very grateful for), but this is only until we reach £2k of discount after which there is no support bar the £21 a week.

Of course the decision to have a child was ours (how dare we!) but if a state wants to secure stable population growth, it needs to make those early years a little more manageable for its working families.

Tory bots on here answer this - how do we grow the economy and replace the older workers with newer workers if you make having children too expensive?

Immigration is one answer and its what the Tories are actually doing.

If you have a population where everyone is exceedingly bright due to selective breeding, who is gonna empty the bins, work 12 hr shifts for minimum wage, wipe bottoms in Nursing homes, work in Wetherspoons, ect. ect.
If you employed people in any of those fields you'd realise that graduates are already often doing that!

The problem is the education system in the UK, which is actually a business...

How come so many European countries can afford to offer education from nursery to graduation for zero/negligible costs?
Oh that's right it's the different social model that the UK rejected!

But you do have a point about selective.
Both myself and my partner had a good education, were able to travel, and see different aspects of life.
We could decide how many children we wanted and could afford, and they are now able to do the same.
As are the children of most of our friends.

Contrast that with the lot of many people stuck with no hope!

Pulp have recently gone on tour again, and it's sad to see that nothing has changed since their best known song...

"You'll never live like common people
You'll never do whatever common people do
You'll never fail like common people
You'll never watch your life slide out of view
And you dance and drink and screw
Because there's nothing else to do"

People generally over estimate the effect that Genetics have on IQ. It's predominantly environmental rather than Genetics (although Genetics is a factor). If you take a hundred children from a rich and high IQ family and swapped them with ones from a poor and low IQ family then the ones in the rich and high IQ family would still do better.

There is a lot of very unpleasant history, including in the UK, where the government has decided who can breed and who can't. Treading carefully is important.
A strawman argument with a dramatic attempt at nazifying anyone who suggests there's an issue. Nobody's suggested genetics.

Upbringing is vastly more relevant. A child raised by intelligent, reasonably well off people will usually get vastly better parenting than one brought up by an unemployed moron.

Genetics or upbringing doesn't really make much difference - either way, the outcome is that doley parents generally produce future doleys, not intelligent or useful people.

But nobody in politics would dare to speak the obvious truth as they'll be faced with exactly the kind of accusations you are implying. Wokeism is killing society.

A strawman argument with a dramatic attempt at nazifying anyone who suggests there's an issue. Nobody's suggested genetics.
We need young people, but sadly incentivising the non-working or unskilled to breed while disincentivising the more successful people with high housing costs is causing a reverse form of evolution
Yeah, no one has brought evolution into this.

Troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back