The right to have multiple children

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
When we had kids, Mrs Mottie gave up work until the youngest was 10 years old and only ever went back part time, term time only. It was a struggle at first but you just have to cut your coat according to your cloth. No such struggle for our son and his wife with our grandson. Mrs Mottie looked after him on Thursdays, and the other mother in law looked after him on Fridays. We would never have asked our parents to look after them on a regular basis while we worked. Different times nowdays though.

When I was born, my Dad paid for a house which was around 2.5x his annual salary. His mortgage payment (accounting for inflation) was much less than ours. My mother was lucky enough to also give up work and didn't return until we'd reached senior school. It was tough (we rented a TV, my Dad told me there were weeks where he had just a fiver left, etc.), but they raised us well and eventually things works out.

My house is 'worth' nearly 7 times my wage (we were modest and stayed local when we bought!) and the impending interest rate rise could make payments balloon. Even if they peak at 5.5%, then yes the rate would be far less than the historical increases during the mid to late '70s, but remember -- that percentile is a chunk of a much, much higher amount. My Dad's first house in 1973 was purchased for £7.5k with an interest rate of 9%. Mine cost £150k...... We cannot afford simply to give up work! Although our quality of life is better and we likely have more material luxury than they did (progress!), our essential monthly outgoings are - when compared - far greater! As such, our parents offered to look after their Grandson to help out.

The problem is the acceptance culture of "it was just a struggle" or "it's just how it was". None of us should be "entitled" to anything, otherwise wed' have a false impression of the world, but if those initial years were just that little bit less financially crippling, we'd be creating families who were wealthier, happier and more productive!

Sponsored Links
Ahh, the good ole days of £50k houses. (y)

The charts of average income to house prices tells its own tale - unable to grow the economy the Tories (they have been in power the longest and set the countries economic policies) have created this bubble whereby people feel wealthy because their homes have appreciated but their incomes less so.

Their only solution is to continue this charade with perpetual debt so we have longer mortgage terms - 30,40,50 year mortgages and interest rates kept artificially low.

Tories do not have an economic policy other than to continue the housing bubble and blame foreigners - it works look at the Brexxers on here.

Tories do not have an economic policy other than to continue the housing bubble and blame foreigners - it works look at the Brexxers on here.
Whereas Labour's policy is…………… Go on, tell us.

I looked it up.
You get child allowance for all kids, but it's not much - £16 per child per week after the first.
Universal Credit is much more money, stopping at 2 kids.
You get it until they're 16 , or until they leave full time education.

I daresay it costs more than £16 a week to maintain a kid.
So realistically, producing sproggs for profit doesn't work, unless the kid suffers.

Last edited:
18 years and 9 months is a long time to be able to fall short of money.

Some people on here have not thought their Adolph Hitler style, thoughts through.
So? What's your problem?
You expect a full set of measures on a web forum post?
Kids need looking after despite their parents. If a parent isn't capable of supporting more they need to be discouraged from having more.

It's nothing to do with Hitler.

Means testing?

FFS. (n)

Why not means testing?, how often do you and your followers bleat like sheep about benefits going to rich people?. I'd rather see benefits going to the needy, I would, me.

Why not means testing?, how often do you and your followers bleat like sheep about benefits going to rich people?. I'd rather see benefits going to the needy, I would, me.
Depends if the testing of the means costs more than it delivers.

If it's cheaper to just make it a blanket payment, make it a blanket payment.

Unless you think someone on £150k p.a. seriously thinks having another kid is a good idea, solely on the basis of an extra tenner per week.

Depends if the testing of the means costs more than it delivers.

If it's cheaper to just make it a blanket payment, make it a blanket payment.

Unless you think someone on £150k p.a. seriously thinks having another kid is a good idea, solely on the basis of an extra tenner per week.

Fair comment, do you think that's why nosy was opposed to means testing?, perhaps he should clarify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back