Thinking About A New Car

are the people who might choose to buy a hybrid, but not a pure EV, unless, say, they worked at a place with chargers, or habitually went to a supermart or other place with chargers.

Most cars drive less than a thousand miles a month.

Hybrids are on the to be banned list so your statement isn't quite true.

However I do see the government doing a u turn on the hybrids closer to the time

Sponsored Links
that's wrong

Manufacturers advise that the battery is only charged to 80% and to not let it drop below 25% to keep the battery in top condition.

They also recommend to not use the fast charge function too often especially when the battery is known to have a shortened lifespan as the extreme current puts stress into the cells.

Not doing the above will shorten the lifespan of the batteries.

real life says

While owners of new electric cars can rely on their batteries, with those up to two years old having around 98% of their original range available on average, drivers of older models (dating back to 2014) report a steady decline in usable battery life, with the oldest models capable of 91% of range from new."

Sponsored Links
unless they shop at Tesco once a week.

What with the 4x chargers they have available. (My local one only has 2x the bigger one a bit further out has 4x chargers)

They'll likely install more in time,

real life says

I think it depends on what publication you look at.

Nissan leaf owners havnt reported stats like that, with many bemoaning the poor battery life

Also if it wasn't a real issue manufacturers wouldn't provide guidelines advising minimal use of fast chargers and keeping the battery between 80 & 20%

I think it depends on what publication you look at.

Nissan leaf owners havnt reported stats like that, with many bemoaning the poor battery life

Also if it wasn't a real issue manufacturers wouldn't provide guidelines advising minimal use of fast chargers and keeping the battery between 80 & 20%
Nissan leafs are a special case, they're the only EV on the market that doesn't have a liquid cooling system for their batteries. And on some older models the batteries they used just couldn't hack the temperatures.

But if you want an example of someone who's ignored the manufacturer recomendations there's plenty out there. In general they see a more degradation than average but nothing dramatic as long as you don't go above 95%.

https://insideevs.com/news/345589/tesloop-reasons-cause-battery-degradation/

EV batteries last ages.

It's almost academic. The latest, cheaper, batteries can and should be charged to 100% routinely.

Last edited:
Manufacturers advise that the battery is only charged to 80% and to not let it drop below 25% to keep the battery in top condition.

They also recommend to not use the fast charge function too often especially when the battery is known to have a shortened lifespan as the extreme current puts stress into the cells.

Not doing the above will shorten the lifespan of the batteries.
I read they must be charged to a minimum of 80%

I read they must be charged to a minimum of 80%

Jeysus.

In general, you keep the charge between 20-80%. Keeping the battery outside of those limits can cause stress.

Thats. It.

If you are on your way home and hit 5% no problem. Just plug it in when you do.

Going on long journeys? Charge it all the way before you go. No problem.

It's not difficult.

I think most manufacturers simply "block off" the top and bottom 20% of the battery's true capacity using the battery management system software, so that when the owner "fully" charges it, and the gauge says it's full, it's actually at 80% or slightly more. It's been a very well known issue for Li-ion batteries for years now. I think phone, laptop and power tool manufacturers do similar things.

It's always easy to find owners on internet fora who have had problems, but a quick glance in the Autotrader suggests that about £6k is the going value for a 10 year old Leaf with 100,000 miles on it. I expect most of these will be on their original batteries. Here's one with 170,000 on it!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...nesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&page=1

I think most manufacturers simply "block off" the top and bottom 20% of the battery's true capacity using the battery management system software, so that when the owner "fully" charges it, and the gauge says it's full, it's actually at 80% or slightly more. It's been a very well known issue for Li-ion batteries for years now. I think phone, laptop and power tool manufacturers do similar things.

According to the guidelines the manufacturer issues on looking after the batteries this statement is untrue.

However it's a good point as to why they don't do that...

Maybe it's so they can boast about how many miles they can do... As long as it does it once that's all they need

Just been browsing the 'Bay for reasonably priced used PHEV's & there are more Mitsubishi Outlanders on there than you can shake a stick at, all high milers from 2014 thro to '18 with prices from around 9K.

Are these just worn out (battery) examples, or are/were they just a bad buy originally?

Just been browsing the 'Bay for reasonably priced used PHEV's & there are more Mitsubishi Outlanders on there than you can shake a stick at, all high milers from 2014 thro to '18 with prices from around 9K.

Are these just worn out (battery) examples, or are/were they just a bad buy originally?
I wonder if it's anything to do with Mitsubishi no longer having a presence in Britain?

Ah yes, mitsubishi shifted an awful lot of these, and then suddenly admitted they cheated the system and they couldn't do the mileage they claimed...

https://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2481

Sponsored Links
Back