WV61EHY Silver FordFocus. Scratches car and walks away, update.

Don't go through insurance, the increase in your premium (regardless of clear video evidence showing you not at fault) will cost you dear in the long run.

Sponsored Links
Trust me, i have handed ready made cases to police and they didn't wanna know.
Civil matter is their punchline.
In a property i manage, the woman renting it had the flat advertised for rent and collected 7 deposits.
Her husband claimed he was a police officer to the unsuspecting victims.
I found out before she left, called the cops, called the 7 people scammed, police arrived at her door, victims at the door at the same time.
Apparently this is a civil matter and her promise to give the money back was enough to dismiss the fraud.
They didn't take action against the husband impersonating a police officer because they didn't hear him saying it, despite 7 witnesses.
They left.
Next day they were gone, never to be seen again.
At that point the cops registered it as a fraud and found that she had done the same thing several times before.
Now tell me again about being proactive.

Why do you think the Police act in this way?

Resource issue or a requirements issue - they are told to focus on other areas?

If you inform the insurer your premium will go up regardless. Being innocent is looking at the issue from the wrong perspective.

The insurer based on the data it has consludes this car park due to its restricted bays, location etc is notorious for minor scratches etc, all this information gets added into their profile they have of you and now you are an increased risk. Its why they are interested in whether you work from one place of work or multiple, where your car is parked etc. The more data they have the more they can refine their profiles of you and calculate your risk premium.

Say the legal minimum to an insurer.

Sponsored Links
If you inform the insurer your premium will go up regardless. Being innocent is looking at the issue from the wrong perspective.

The insurer based on the data it has consludes this car park due to its restricted bays, location etc is notorious for minor scratches etc, all this information gets added into their profile they have of you and now you are an increased risk. Its why they are interested in whether you work from one place of work or multiple, where your car is parked etc. The more data they have the more they can refine their profiles of you and calculate your risk premium.

Say the legal minimum to an insurer.

Spot on. They will use anything and everything you give them to extract profit.

I think I have already said this. Only difference is that I called them a bunch of scammers.

it’s actually a quirky bit of law regarding the treatment of deposits. A deposit is a unilateral commitment that only binds the depositor. So long as there is a commitment to return it. No criminal law is broken.

This is why you never ever give a deposit, if you can define it as a payment on account instead.

Payment on account binds both parties to the terms of a contract and gives the payer claim for damages in breach.

it’s actually a quirky bit of law regarding the treatment of deposits. A deposit is a unilateral commitment that only binds the depositor. So long as there is a commitment to return it. No criminal law is broken.

This is why you never ever give a deposit, if you can define it as a payment on account instead.

Payment on account binds both parties to the terms of a contract and gives the payer claim for damages in breach.

The scammer didn't have title to rent the property, it was clearly a scam taking 7 deposits for a property that didn't belong to her.

I have come to the conclusion that criminals are protected by the system and it costs too much to investigate them.
Even if they get a conviction, the cost to the taxpayers is enormous and never to be recovered.
Instead, law abiding citizens can be milked to the last penny and punished for minor irregularities (cigarette butts anyone?, speeding, non payment of council tax or tv licence, etc.)

Again, it’s a civil matter. Frustrating I know.
No, it's not a civil matter.
It's fraud by false representation, and once she took the physical banknotes that became theft.
You must be one of those copper pointing speed guns whilst hiding in the bushes.
And in the mean time, 20 yards away an old woman is being mugged at knifepoint, but that is a civil matter.

Sponsored Links
Back