Career in plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am really considering a chage of career and training to become a plumber. Currently work in IT and fancy a change. Always been a hands on person and like DIY around the home. I have always regretted my choice of career.

Got a few questions:-

Is there plenty of work out there?
What training course / material would you recommend / how long is the course?
Doing a search on google, some of these training sites suggest a shortage of plumbers and some plumbers earn anywhere from 40-100k. Guessing this may not be entirely true, but wondered what the average salary for newly qualified plumber was (North of England (West Yorkshire))?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
to quote John McEnroe " YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS" :cry: Give it another decade when the next boom starts , maybe then. OR move to Pimlico, London :idea:

hahaha 40 - 100k ????? no mate you'll be lucky to get 27 - 35 k cards in i've been out work 3 months now am full qualified with 9 years experience plus aprentership. NO 1 is taken on, let alone taken on someone who done a 6 month course. if i was you id stick to what you got at least till things pick up. an i don't mean to sound funny saying that ither but i would not recommend it mate

Been in the heating industry for 12years straight from school, seen loads an loads an loads of "IT" people come an go, would be lucky to earn 20k per year in first 5 years short courses do not pay. go to college for 4 years then do your ACS then work for BG for 5 years working on all the crap under the sun then you might be near 40k max..:cool:

Sponsored Links
If you ENJOY the stress of awkward and difficult plumbing work (which, peversley, I do), are fascinated with complex arrangements of copper pipes, and are prepared to alter your hourly rate according to the market requirements, then plumbing may be for you.

However, you may wish to make sure you have a fallback in place, such as writing novels, stage acting or being a musician.

stay in IT!

you would be lucky to make 10K in the first year as an independent with no customers to start with
this is my 29th year in the business and can say last year was the worst i have ever had.

considering a chage of career and training to become a plumber. HA HA HA HOO HAA HAA

Is there plenty of work out there? HOO HOOO HAA HAA

some of these training sites suggest a shortage of plumbers HEE HOOO HEE HE HA HAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

and some plumbers earn anywhere from 40-100k YEA REALY HEE HAA HO

YEA can earn more with the donkey rides on blackpool beach.

Did yea know the laughing clown on blackpools pleasure land was an ex gas engineer.

and another thing you will find a shortage in all trades according to these
southern lazy upperclass scammers,

dont be taken in by these so called training centres charging around £3000
for a 6 week course.

have yea seen the RED DRIVING SCHOOL ADVERT become a driving instructor another scam i know from a few people scammed from yet another yanky doddle american corporate scammers.

Edit. Yes go for it. We all earn 100 grand a year. :eek: You will do well to earn 5 large in your first year. :eek:

Become a chippie. In high demand. Unlike us. 10 a penny.

what the hell are you all on about i own on average 50 to 60k a year you must not be pricing your jobs right

Down South there is a lot of money to be made, no idea about up North, less I imagine but the cost of living is also less.

The thing that concerns me about a career changer like yourself is that I believe you will be unrealistic in term of the time it takes to become competent. I have always maintained that you need 10 years minimum under your belt to know what you're doing then you can really start learning and become more efficient both as a business and a worker.

If you're in your 30's then you're too old IMO, by the time you're half decent at what you're doing you will be looking to retire.

Dont bother,stay where you are,dont believe the 100k a year *******s not enough work out there and too many blokes chasing it.No company will take on someone who has done one of these short courses either.
Stay in your nice warm/air conditioned office.
At 48,im going in for a hip replacement operation on Feb 8th,thats what plumbing has done for me.

Hi
I am really considering a chage of career and training to become a plumber. Currently work in IT and fancy a change. Always been a hands on person and like DIY around the home. I have always regretted my choice of career.

Got a few questions:-

Is there plenty of work out there? NO
What training course / material would you recommend / how long is the course? CITY&GUILDS LEVEL 2 AND 3 / ABOUT THREE AND A HALF YEARS, AND A FEW THOUSAND POUNDS
Doing a search on google, some of these training sites suggest a shortage of plumbers THEY'RE TALKING RUBBISH and some plumbers earn anywhere from 40-100k BOSSES OF LARGE FIRMS WITH 40 YEARS EXPERIENCE MAY WELL DO, BUT YOU WON'T. Guessing this may not be entirely true, but wondered what the average salary for newly qualified plumber was (North of England (West Yorkshire))?

Thanks

I thought i would share this,i just copied it off one of the training sites.

Did you know there is a small group of men and women in the UK (and most of Europe) who are quietly earning up to £100,000 per year and frequently working only 2 - 4 days per week? With our plumbing courses you could be one of these people.

:D :D :D

I thought i would share this,i just copied it off one of the training sites.

Did you know there is a small group of men and women in the UK (and most of Europe) who are quietly earning up to £100,000 per year and frequently working only 2 - 4 days per week? With our plumbing courses you could be one of these people.

:D :D :D
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Oh if you didn't laugh you'd cry, really you would. £100k AND working two days per week!? That's 104 days per year, £961.54 per day, or just over £100 an hour. And that's earning, IE take home wages...so what do these mystery people charge their customers!?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back