£300 fixed penalty for cycling at night without lights.

I have rarely seen any cyclist stop at a red light, most cycle straight through, some wait for a gap.

Blup
I don't think that's true. There are idiots who do this but most responsible cyclists, myself included, will stop and wait.

Sponsored Links
If by responsible you mean the lycra brigade, yes but then they set off 5 abreast and it takes half a mile to overtake them. I respect cyclists as other road users but I've noticed in recent years they deliberately cycle out from the kerbside to make it impossible to pass.

Blup

If by responsible you mean the lycra brigade, yes but then they set off 5 abreast and it takes half a mile to overtake them. I respect cyclists as other road users but I've noticed in recent years they deliberately cycle out from the kerbside to make it impossible to pass.

Blup
Your brush must be massive to be tarring everyone with it.

To reassure the OP, the law hasn't changed. You have a duty of care to avoid an accident. So if you could see the person irrelevant of lights and light jumping, but did not take avoiding action you would cop some liability. For the most part the damages to the cyclist would be substantially reduced due to the contributory negligence of not having lights and jumping the red light. if it could be proved that the cyclist could not have been seen, then there would be zero liability. However, most junctions with traffic lights are normally reasonably well lit. There is lots of case law on this, but I can't be ars@ed to post it.

For the picture of the red light jump, we can't see the mandatory "Wait here when Red light shows" sign, so we don't know if the vehicle crossed the red on red or not. Traffic lights must have a stop line and for temporary traffic lights its the portable wait here sign that is the stop line.

I don't understand why riders don't have lights.. they cost little more than £1 for some cheap ones.

Sponsored Links
For the picture of the red light jump, we can't see the mandatory "Wait here when Red light shows" sign, so we don't know if the vehicle crossed the red on red or not. Traffic lights must have a stop line and for temporary traffic lights its the portable wait here sign that is the stop line.
I was waiting next to the wait here sign - and you can see the speeding oversized pickup truck before and beyond the red.
so typical of drivers of this type of vehicle
rlj.jpg

Blup
Most of 'em give the kerb a wide berth to avoid potholes and drains, but don't let that deter your perception from seeing what it wants to.

I hit a pedestrian once riding a ;) motor scooter. He had been standing in the middle of the road waiting for me to pass or so I thought Did my best but both of us finished up lying in the road, me probably blacked out for a very short while thanks to the kerb. An ambulance happened to be around and took us to hospital along with his mother who had ran out of a house opposite. The bloke had "problems". Police arrived and it was decided not my fault. However can't remember full details but there were some costs to be paid. My insurance paid it. I asked why, not my fault and was told it's because I was insured.

Having rode a push bike as fast as I could until I bought something with an engine I haven't much sympathy for cyclist excuses for not riding a lot nearer the kerb when needed. ;) Same with a motor scooter at times too. Unlike a reasonably powerful motor bike they may not be able to keep up with traffic.

Your brush must be massive to be tarring everyone with it.
Can only speak as I find. What would you make of pedestrians suddenly walking into the middle of the lane when they hear a van or car coming. It's almost suicidal.

Blup

Reminds me of women dangling kids in buggies out into the stream of traffic so cars are forced to emergency stop.. That sort of mother always seems to have a big fat backside, and it's crossed my mind to slap one with a wing mirror while passing. So far I've restrained myself to hostility via headlamp washer.

I don't understand why riders don't have lights.. they cost little more than £1 for some cheap ones.
I think it was a copper who told me they aren't mandatory as with normal traffic lights, so if you can see it's clearly clear you wouldn't be nabbed for passing one on red. Happen to know??

The reason why cyclists ride wide in the road is to make people THINK about the overtake.

The reason they ride bunched up is because it is much easier to pass 1x group of cyclists than it is to pass several in a line.

We enjoy an inalienable right to travel the highway, we do NOT have the right to do this in or on a motor vehicle. To do so in a motor vehicle is a priveledge.

Reminds me of women dangling kids in buggies out into the stream of traffic so cars are forced to emergency stop.. That sort of mother always seems to have a big fat backside, and it's crossed my mind to slap one with a wing mirror while passing. So far I've restrained myself to hostility via headlamp washer.
One did this during my HGV test, frightened the life out of me & the examiner. Why do they do it? God knows, I'm fairly sure they aren't doing it consciously.

Sponsored Links
Back