3 amp fuse in FCU for boiler

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
...but they don't use 3A MCBs because the boiler instructions do not call for 3A protection.

Please show a fused switch.

Also the British MIs call for a 3A FUSE so presumably an MCB would not be following the MIs.
I know that's silly but that's what people are saying.

...but they don't use 3A MCBs because the boiler instructions do not call for 3A protection.
But they do, they tend (emphasised) to design their circuits for it's intended use and have big CU's full of all sorts of different sizes of MCB

Please show a fused switch.
I worked in a pool plant room in France summer 2016 or possibly 2015, each device had a ceramic block containing a removable block which held 2 fuses, this block is held in with a large (1") plastic nut/knob. once screwed on the block is pushed in for on or pulled out for off. A shutter arrangement keeps it safe.

Also the British MIs call for a 3A FUSE so presumably an MCB would not be following the MIs.
I know that's silly but that's what people are saying.
I don't think anyone would seriously dispute the validity of an MCB in place of a fuse.

But they do, they tend (emphasised) to design their circuits for it's intended use and have big CU's full of all sorts of different sizes of MCB
Fair enough, but the instructions for boilers sold for use in mainland Europe do not appear to include any requirement for the use of any sort of 3A OPD (in the same way that they do in the UK) - so at least a substantial proportion are probably connected directly to 16A circuits.

Kind Regards, John

If you accept that it would be reasonable/safe to have a single point of isolation for the CH system and that Honeywell (for one) advocate the use of 3A fuses for their programmers and room stats, why do anything else?

Regards

If you accept that it would be reasonable/safe to have a single point of isolation for the CH system and that Honeywell (for one) advocate the use of 3A fuses for their programmers and room stats, why do anything else?
You and Sunray seem to be missing what is actually being discussed.

Do Honeywell not sell their programmers and room stats outside of the UK?

If do they do, what do they say about fuses in non-UK countries?

Kind Regards, John

This appears to be the current understanding:
  1. There are no requirements in the Wiring Regulations for gas appliance supplies to be fused at 3A.
  2. There are no requirements in any gas regulations for gas appliance supplies to be fused at 3A.
  3. The Wiring Regulations do not make it mandatory to abide by any manufacturer instructions.
  4. The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations (I'm assuming it is they) do make it mandatory to abide by any manufacturer instructions.
  5. Some gas appliance manufacturers require 3A fusing in the UK.
  6. Some gas appliance manufacturers do not require 3A fusing outside the UK.
  7. Nobody knows why #5 is justified, particularly when #6 applies to the same appliance sold elsewhere.
  8. Notwithstanding #7, #4 means that observing #5 is not optional.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back