Are the police really good at their job?

"The report found that some staff had criminal records, some were alleged to have committed serious crime, some had substantial undischarged debt, and some had relatives linked to organised crime."
This was used as a storyline in BBC’s Line of Duty police drama series - wonder where they came up with it? :unsure:

Sponsored Links
My understanding is that any real criminal record means no chance of getting into the police.
Your 'understanding'?

Therefore you must disagree with the findings of the HM Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire and Rescue Services?

Your 'understanding'?

Therefore you must disagree with the findings of the HM Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire and Rescue Services?
No I want to know what the crimes were.

No I want to know what the crimes were.
Well let me help you out...

Linky Linky

"Officers were cleared to join after “committing offences such as robbery, indecent exposure, possession of controlled drugs, drink-driving and domestic abuse-related assaults”, the report found."

Are these a 'real criminal record' worth being concerned about in your 'understanding'?

Sponsored Links
I still want more detail. Why didn't the Sky report say the same thing. Has commited in office got mixed up in the Guardian one?

Distrust again!

For example...

"Errors were found in seven out of 10 cases examined, with victims suffering a postcode lottery in how police treated their robbery, Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire & Rescue Services (HMICFRS) said.

Austerity was a factor, leaving inexperienced officers to deal with burglaries, with a dire shortage of trained detectives meaning they had to focus on more serious crimes. Just 6.6% of robberies and 4% of thefts led to a charge."

Linky Linky

Care to comment on why many people just don't bother anymore?
So are you saying you would call the police if you were burgled or robbed or that you wouldn’t, because you don't trust them?

I still want more detail. Why didn't the Sky report say the same thing. Has commited in office got mixed up in the Guardian one?
Are you doubting the reporting or the findings HM Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire and Rescue Services?

Do you not come to a conclusion unless all news outlets quote things in total 'verbatim'?

Of course you could just google it and look at the actual report.
(a couple of links you need to follow) ;)

Linky Linky

So are you saying you would call the police if you were burgled or robbed or that you wouldn’t, because you don't trust them?
Oh I'd call them, but not because I'd trust them to actually do much about it...

Firstly to get a 'crime number' for the insurance company...

And secondly to hope that the crime would be recorded so that the figures would show the extent of the criminality that is happening...

Of course the second of those has been proven too often to have been wrongly recorded...

Therefore I repeat, distrust in plod!

That is why an applicant to become a police officer or police cadet is exempt from the protections established in the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (ROA). They must disclose, no matter how minor or long ago they were received, all convictions, cautions and reprimands. The consideration of an applicant’s criminal record is a critically important part of any vetting procedure.

Even the most thorough and complete vetting regime could never guarantee that an applicant wouldn’t go on to become corrupt or become a risk to the police service. Equally, it would be wrong to assume that all applicants with concerning adverse information about their past would necessarily go on to commit acts of criminality or misconduct.

You need to learn to read all that you have mentioned, You also chose not to mention what caused the report to be generated. The whole thing really relates to officers when they have become one and as the 2nd quote states there can not be a 100% solution to that aspect. It's not possible so it goes on further about vetting officers when they are in service. That is the real problem with a few of them other than wide spread attitudes that we have all heard about especially in certain stations.

When I helped out on the police contract for the recovery co' I had to be vetted. This was above & beyond a standard formal check, the form ran to many pages & when I got to sit down with the sergeant admin I discovered many things about me I'd forgotten. They knew EVERYTHING, even down to one or two characters I used to 'loosely' associate with.

I refuse to accept that anyone can 'slip through the net' & into the police force.

I refuse to accept that anyone can 'slip through the net' & into the police force.
There may be a very very slight chance - maybe name changes but even that can be checked.

The real problem is actually the style of reporting. Often happens. Words are picked out and used out of context. It's pretty clear what the report is mainly about - what goes on after officers are employed and keeping a more sensible eye on that. Also the general culture in some areas and stations.

Bit more detail from the BBC. The concerns about initial vetting concern allegations not criminal records. No smoke without fire sort of view.

The report mentions more vetting for some and further considerations if hired. Also some that they wouldn't employ - more smoke I assume.

They mentioned 3 policemen that had hit the headlines but no comment about how their vetting went. I recollect that one was into exposing themselves while serving. Some what different aspect but allegations or fact?

Sponsored Links
Back