Are the police really good at their job?

I saw one a few years back; bloke standing on the side of the road (corner) at the end of his street waiting to be picked up for work. He was a tree surgeon and was being picked up by the gang. He had a bit of kit with him, including a chainsaw. Copper stops (two of them) and asks him what he is doing? 'I'm waiting to be picked up', he says, quite politely. Copper asks him what he is doing with a chainsaw. It was actually perfectly obvious what he was doing, given that he also had a helmet and a few other tree related bits and pieces and was wearing chainsaw gear. However, the bloke explains, again quite politely, that he is a tree surgeon - indicating the other kit and his clothing. 'You can't stand in the street with a chainsaw' the copper says, and then it goes on from there. The bloke did his best to explain, and even his mates then turned up, but the coppers were on one by now and weren't going to back down for anything. Net result, after a bit of argument, the bloke is, literally, wrestled to the ground and arrested for possession of an offensive weapon in public, or some other *******s. Off to the nick for the rest of the day until eventually and adult took over and told the bloke to go home. Absolute dickheads - on telly as well! - showing off what a bunch of knobs some of them can be.

Sponsored Links
Summat on the box about them wanting to recruit quality, not quantity.
But It's not just the recruits.
Decades ago I got into an argument with an Inspector. It wasn't my behaviour in question, I was a witness, the scrote was a pc, who got his sarg to cover up for him. The inspector was closing ranks and saying I couldn't prove what I'd seen or how I know what I knew. He wasn't interested in what actually happened.
I asked my local station sarg for advice (we had them then) who was livid and keen to take a statement aganst the other force, but he made it clear it could be troublesome for me. I let it go.
Coincidentally there was a story about a local magistrate who'd not been careless about granting them warrants etc, who wound up with his and his wife's car being trailed by plods trying to catch him , etc. This was the Gene Hunt/quattro era.
Maybe things have improved.

The traffic cops I've "met" have all been absolutely fine but maybe I've been lucky. My neighbour and his family have had a lot of grief. Asian, ...?

My own local experience with them, is one of having to apply pressure upon them, to uphold and implement the law.

I've had all sorts of experiences, from a heavy handed approach to an accusation of speeding (in which a copper with no proof to back up his claims arrested me for allegedly "going round a bend a bit quick") to having to insist they deal with a case of an uninsured driver doing a runner from an RTA. Two have led to complaints to the CC of GMP resulting in personal visits.

Sponsored Links
There is a general lack of respect for plod today

We work for a couple of plod officers both of whom cannot wait to retire from the force

Threats
Abuse
Children verbally abused and threatened
Ect ect

Look at what goes on at some of these inner city Friday night / Saturday night booze up places

Jeez us even ambulance staff dealing with these drunks have to have protection

A and E staff assaulted
Abused
Threatened

Have no doubt about it left to me if any of em turned up at Aand E
And assaulted NHS staff they would be banged up for 20 years

Moving around the prison in a wheel chair sucking there food through a straw

There is a general lack of respect for plod today

We need to get away from the modern namby pamby-ness, but without going back to the heavyhandiness, and fitting up that seemed to be rife in the last century.

We work for a couple of plod officers both of whom cannot wait to retire from the force

We need many more officers, to share the workload.

Why do people hate the police?

We were all born with a certain level of respect, it is mostly down to the individual whether that level increases or decreases with time. I can accept that there's element's of our society who are predisposed to be anti police (&/or anti authority) but when the majority of us start to question their behaviour then they must be doing it wrong, yeah?

I don't know anyone who thinks our police are all wonderful people who joined the force to serve & protect, I don't tend to surround myself with people who think like that.

My only interactions with our police these days seems to be when I'm out & about on the motorcycle & thankfully these days we're rigged up with more & better camera's than they are. I love to see the expressions on their faces change when I reply to their very first request "am I legally obliged to answer that question".

I asked my local station sarg for advice (we had them then) who was livid and keen to take a statement aganst the other force, but he made it clear it could be troublesome for me. I let it go.
I had similar. Cop behind the counter wanted me to make a complaint. I said I wasn't happy about that as the problem was down to a cop doing his job. ;) Anyway it was sorted out. I was living in an area where loads of people were stopped from time to time. My attitude was that even if this resulted in a rather small fractional number of people needing to be stopped then that's ok with me. Being polite prevents things from escalating.:) A few may want to make things escalate.

I have also been stopped once around where I live now. Why maybe weather conditions and why I was driving around at ~4-30am. Fair enough as far as I am concerned. They may have wanted to know that it was me driving the car, Details being available from the car reg number. Or due to the time had I been drinking.

Plod is now working to identify the hundreds/thousands of criminals on our streets...

"Hundreds - if not thousands - of police officers who should have failed vetting checks may be serving in England and Wales, a watchdog has warned.

HM Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire and Rescue Services found cases where criminal behaviour was dismissed as a "one off"; applicants with links to "extensive criminality" in their families were hired as police officers; warnings a prospective officer could present a risk to the public were ignored; officers transferring between forces despite a history of complaints or allegations of misconduct; and basic blunders that led to the wrong vetting decisions."

"The report found that some staff had criminal records, some were alleged to have committed serious crime, some had substantial undischarged debt, and some had relatives linked to organised crime."

Linky Linky

Someone asked 'Why do people hate the police?'

Distrust is the answer!

Plod is now working to identify the hundreds/thousands of criminals on our streets...

"Hundreds - if not thousands - of police officers who should have failed vetting checks may be serving in England and Wales, a watchdog has warned.

HM Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire and Rescue Services found cases where criminal behaviour was dismissed as a "one off"; applicants with links to "extensive criminality" in their families were hired as police officers; warnings a prospective officer could present a risk to the public were ignored; officers transferring between forces despite a history of complaints or allegations of misconduct; and basic blunders that led to the wrong vetting decisions."

"The report found that some staff had criminal records, some were alleged to have committed serious crime, some had substantial undischarged debt, and some had relatives linked to organised crime."

Linky Linky

Someone asked 'Why do people hate the police?'

Distrust is the answer!
So who would you call if you were being attacked in the street? Who would you call if you went home and found you’d been burgled? Not the police surely? Why, that would make you a hypocrite wouldn’t it?

So who would you call if you were being attacked in the street? Who would you call if you went home and found you’d been burgled? Not the police surely? Why, that would make you a hypocrite wouldn’t it?
Distrust again!

For example...

"Errors were found in seven out of 10 cases examined, with victims suffering a postcode lottery in how police treated their robbery, Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire & Rescue Services (HMICFRS) said.

Austerity was a factor, leaving inexperienced officers to deal with burglaries, with a dire shortage of trained detectives meaning they had to focus on more serious crimes. Just 6.6% of robberies and 4% of thefts led to a charge."

Linky Linky

Care to comment on why many people just don't bother anymore?

Linky Linky
Typical sky reporting. Very Sun like. The bloke that owns the lot loves stuff like this.

It found 131 out of 11,277 of which 68 they disagreed with.

What were the crimes? My understanding is that any real criminal record means no chance of getting into the police.

Fact is that there are currently 142,526 officers as of 31 March 22. Given that number any form of vetting can still let people through that could turn out to be undesirable. The whole population of the UK has some of those.

If people want to be critical I would accept comments about getting rid of some that prove to be undesirable. It appears to be like getting rid of crap cabinet members etc even MP's. Same crops up in any organisation part down to human nature.

Sponsored Links
Back