Crime Update

yes i fully agree we have "do gooders " who dont understand the culture and ways off various groups and get offended on there behalf
if your going to fight someones corner you need to understand the full situation and not just your own blinkered veiws

Sponsored Links
any free thinking person will form there own opinions in isolation but will act like the mob when with them
he will decide iff he is greater than the mob he will move on and break the connection at the point he feels its wrong more than right

any free thinking person will form there own opinions in isolation but will act like the mob when with them
he will decide iff he is greater than the mob he will move on and break the connection at the point he feels its wrong more than right
Exactly! Therefore any person who questions the tripe put out by doo gooders and the BBC must be free thinking.

Sponsored Links
Exactly my feelings.
What the BBC and others like them probably don't realise is the problems they are creating by doing just this. Creating ill-feelings is not going to do much for race relations.
My feelings too. I'm sure anyone living in this country who is non-white would prefer to just get on with it rather than having white middle class goggle-wearers constantly patronising them and fighting their corner when it's not required.

Regarding the question about research into why certain groups are less law abiding, I would not phrase the question in such terms.
I fully understand that, these days, it is very important to phrase your questions and statements very carefully. There is always the 'professionally offended' section of society (almost always of a different ethnic origin from that under discussion).

I have always believed in calling a spade a spade (no pun intended, I assure you) yet without the intention of causing offence. The trouble with dressing up our language is the possibility of losing clarity of meaning. It's a shame that people - with every good intention - are obliged to do that.

I would argue that the danger with saying a group is less law abiding is that you then apply that to all people in the group. That's all, nothing to do with political correctness, or not offending the professionally offended, of which there are many as we know. As an example, you might ask why 'whites' are more inclined to football violence, or violence outside pubs. The truth is that there is a minority with 'whites' that do such things.

Gypsies do the worst, with a massively disproportionate prison population, and perhaps not just because they are more likely to get caught, but due to very low educational attainment.
Do you mean Gypsies ( romany ) or itinerant travellers ?

The few true Gypsies I have met have been honest and caring people. Itinerant travellers are very different.

Interesting question. I refer to the people that are described as gypsies when someone relates an incident to me. Clearly there are some new age travellers, and that's not who I mean. Then there are Roma, and travellers. I can't say I know the division in this country. There are a lot of Irish travellers, who have a bad reputation. Can you really distinguish the two groups? Certainly there are Roma in Eastern Europe, but they are often settled. I know of willife reserves damaged by 'gypsies' setting up camp, then leaving waste everhwhere, cricket pitches damaged, gypsy children using schools as creches, while in the area, and causing disruption. To be honest I suspect both groups suffer from low educational attainment, and inability to get decent jobs. Plus the unwillingness to conform to society. I know it's contentious, but that is the world we have today.

My first meeting with Gypsies was 1950's when I crashed my push bike, buckled the wheel and cut my leg. The way home was past a Gypsie encampment and when a lady saw me arrying the bike and dripping blood she offered to bandage it for me. I was reluctant , stranger danger etc but she seemed kind. I recall the inside of the caravan was very clean and tidy. While she was cleaning and bandaging the leg someone straightened out the wheel enough for me to ride the bike home.

Much more recently an old Gypsy used to park his horse drawn caravan on a patch of green by a local crossroads. After he had gone the only signs were a couple of circles where his horse had been grazing and, if you knew where he had had his fire, you could see the replaced turf was not as green as the rest. He was a very knowledgable person and a very hard worker when he did various jobs for local people.

Why do you think they were gypsies as opposed to travellers? And how do you distinguish between the two? I think these days gypsies with horse drawn caravans are rare, the motor towed ones being the norm. I had a recent incident with gypsies. Motoring along a road, about to pass a hatchback, I suddenly saw the hatchback rear door was open, and two people in the back were holding the reins of a horse that was being towed. They were frantically signalling to me to slow down as if they thought I was a maniac. The morons were towing a horse, which was not visible until you were almost level with it. Madness. I later found out there is a local gypsy camp, and often we see a horse and two wheeled buggy, causing disruption. I recently have had two incidents with horses on roundabouts, which I assume to be gypsies or travellers allowing their horses to roam, untethered. They might be nice in person, but they seem to want to behave independently of normal rules of behaviour. Building a house without planning permission, is another example, which often hits the news. It seems to me we have a genuine clash between two cultures, with them not wanting to conform. But I can't see why I should conform, and them not.

Just another religion which must not be disparaged and which the majority must tolerate.

Until such things are overcome, how can things improve?

Regarding the question about research into why certain groups are less law abiding, I would not phrase the question in such terms.
I fully understand that, these days, it is very important to phrase your questions and statements very carefully. There is always the 'professionally offended' section of society (almost always of a different ethnic origin from that under discussion).

I have always believed in calling a spade a spade (no pun intended, I assure you) yet without the intention of causing offence. The trouble with dressing up our language is the possibility of losing clarity of meaning. It's a shame that people - with every good intention - are obliged to do that.

I would argue that the danger with saying a group is less law abiding is that you then apply that to all people in the group. That's all, nothing to do with political correctness, or not offending the professionally offended, of which there are many as we know. As an example, you might ask why 'whites' are more inclined to football violence, or violence outside pubs. The truth is that there is a minority with 'whites' that do such things.
Of course, I don't mean to suggest that ALL people of a certain ethnicity behave the same as a minority, but it has been shown that different cultures tend to behave in different ways.
Your example of football violence is a good one in that whenever you see videos (on the news for example) of such behaviour the perpetrators are almost all white yobs.

You don't see cricket fans behaving like that!

I use the term 'Gypsy' rather than the more politically correct 'Travelling-roma-people', or whatever the currently-acceptable word is, because it's easier to say, easier to write and easier to remember.

Like all people of all cultures and all ethnicities (except for Lankies of course), there are good and bad. The bad ones are easy to identify: they camp where the hell they like, leave the place in a mess, at least double the local crime statistics, and come round offering to tarmac your drive.

I should mention that where I used to teach, we had circus children coming to our school every couple of years or so for a few weeks whilst their parents set up their circus nearby. You couldn't wish for more polite and intelligent children (and parents) despite their never settling down at one place.

i think people in general have lost the plot and the argument when they make assumptions fully based on no more than appearance or demeanor

...or the fact of them being video'ed scrawling a key down the side of a car........

You couldn't wish for more polite and intelligent children (and parents) despite their never settling down at one place.
I always thought they were a right bunch of clowns. :D

Sponsored Links
Back