This should cause a few accidents

Astra99 said:
Read the Highway Code

Would this be the same document that says riding on the pavement is against the law.

:LOL:

I recall some time ago an arrogant little twerp of a cyclist was pulled over and given a fixed penalty for something like jumping a red light. He refused to pay, went to court, stating that as a cyclist he was not subject to the same rules as those using mechanically propelled vehicles, but nevertheless, was convicted and received an even larger penalty. Shame he wasn't sent to gaol for six months, the arrogant swine!

And I saw someone reverse over a person, he was not fined or charged as he did not technically break any law.

So what's your point, something about the law?

Last year a cyclist ignored a red light, and was struck by an HGV. If cyclists will not abide by the rules, then they must expect to be killed.

He was killed because he went in-front of a HGV, the traffic lights had nothing to do with it.

Sponsored Links
So, AaronSearle, you think red lights do not apply to cyclists. Read the Highway Code, and do it before venturing out again! You also say that the police do not prosecute. This is the fault of the police, and they are guilty of dereliction of duty if they fail to deal with red-light jumpers. I recall some time ago an arrogant little twerp of a cyclist was pulled over and given a fixed penalty for something like jumping a red light. He refused to pay, went to court, stating that as a cyclist he was not subject to the same rules as those using mechanically propelled vehicles, but nevertheless, was convicted and received an even larger penalty. Shame he wasn't sent to gaol for six months, the arrogant swine!

Pred, no, I am not referrring to the White Van Man. I work in an office which overlooks a major roundabout in the city. Last year a cyclist ignored a red light, and was struck by an HGV. If cyclists will not abide by the rules, then they must expect to be killed.

Excellent. Two pieces of good news.

I think it's high time that cyclists were obliged to register their 'vehicles' and display number plates. Then if they're not spotted by a (rare) police person, or not mowed down by an HGV, they can at least be identified.

Sponsored Links
My twopenneth.

Road tax?

Behave . . I was cycling the other year and a motorist had to wait to get past DUE TO TRAFFIC COMING THE OTHER WAY on a country road... when overtaking me he moaned and made the classic . . 'I pay road tax' argument.
I had three taxed vehicles in my driveway I actually paid more road tax a year than he did.

Red lights...

Cyclists running red lights are total ****s . . . . this from someone who has been a lifelong cyclist . . both for leisure and racing.

Cyclists these days generally pay road tax and even if they don't why should they have any less road privileges than pedestrians or horses or even vehicle trailers and caravans which of course are not subject to road tax.

Running red lights . . . . NO excuse to ignore them , No excuse to put your death on someone elses conscience . . . no excuse to subject someone else to the trauma and upset of seeing you writhing in pain or bleeding to death , , no excuse to burden someone with unnecessary guilt no excuse for spoiling someones day or damaging their car. . just do not run red lights period.

To recap.

Cyclists have every right to be on the road

Cycists have NO right to run red lights

When I ride my bike on the road (I prefer country parks and towpaths), I often jump a red light. I do it to get out of the way of the car behind me. If I wait for the light to change he has to wait while I get up to speed and out of the way, if I jump the red light (if safe to do) then I don't get in his way. Common sense really.

Rubbish - 'I do it to get out of the motorists way'

What about the other motorist who's way you have suddenly got into?

No excuse for jumping red lights.

What other motoring rule created for SAFETY do you suggest I decide to ignore?

... driving on the left? Stopping at stop signs? . . . Making my kids wear seat belts?

Or even as a motorist should I ignore red lights so I don't hold up the car behind me.

Cyclists jump red lights for the same reason stupid women breast feed in restaraunts , because it makes them somehow feel special or empowered and they know it meets disapproval but they do it anyway because they stupidly believe there is some kind of sympathetic concensus on their behalf when in fact there simply is NOT.

See a councilor about your issues , either about your 'guilt complex' at holding up motorists or your 'persecution complex' about being a cyclist.

I don't get in their way. By the time the cars catch up I'm on a straight stretch of road and they go past me as if I'm not there. If I wait in a queue of traffic I hold up every car behind me until I get over the lights and out of the way, which means that many cars are still behind me when the lights change to red. Common sense should tell you that much.

I don't get in their way. By the time the cars catch up I'm on a straight stretch of road and they go past me as if I'm not there. If I wait in a queue of traffic I hold up every car behind me until I get over the lights and out of the way, which means that many cars are still behind me when the lights change to red. Common sense should tell you that much.

You are just trying to justify your silly actions.

Get real cars never go past you as if you are not there , they squeeze you to the kerb or pass within inches of you without giving you room. You owe them no favours most car drivers are selfish and lazy when it comes to cyclists and waiting for a safe passing moment comes way down the list of priorities when they can just squeeze you into the gutter instead.

It appears you are jumping red lights because you are actually frightened of riding in traffic.
Understandable but jumping red lights will not change a thing.

I don't ride in traffic that has no room for a bike - I drive a car too and know what a pain cyclists can be. I ride on the cycle paths and empty pavements until I reach the country parks. I'm not a road biker, I ride a mountain bike.
Getting clear of traffic at the lights helps the cars behind me as they are not stuck behind me risking missing the lights. It's in everyone's interest that I do it.

Rubbish - 'I do it to get out of the motorists way'

What about the other motorist who's way you have suddenly got into?

Because clearly what joe-90 is saying is that he rushing into oncoming traffic through a red light

I know on my own route to work, of at least 5 junctions, where at any time I cross them and they are red, there is NO traffic coming through the other junctions.

No, I ain't going to sit there like a lemon just because you have to.

No excuse for jumping red lights.

I remember when the lights up the road from me where stuck on red, I took my dog for a walk, 20 mins later the same car was sitting there waiting for it to change.

Was it you?

You have to decide as a cyclist what you are.

Are you a road user? If so OBEY THE RULES.

Or are you a pavement cyclist who wants to jump kerbs and ride accross the road when they shouldn't.

If so get a small bicycle with stabilisers or a tricycle and fasten some coloured streamers to the handlebars and cycle like a little kid...

Otherwise FOLLOW THE RULES they are for your safety!!

If I ever drive through a green traffic light and suddenly find myself with a cyclist as a new bonnet badge when he slides off my bonnet in a pool of blood he will get a kicking off me as well as I will have to lose my no claims bonus to get my car fixed.

I am a cyclist through and through and the truth is when your journey is going to take 40 minutes at least or a couple of hours , what difference does waiting 30 seconds for a traffic light make. When you go through the red light the cars will overtake you 200 metres up the road anyway!!

You already have a space to stop ahead of the cars , Why isn't that good enough for you?

FOLLOW THE RULES

Make me Mr sour grapes!

If I ever drive through a green traffic light and suddenly find myself with a cyclist as a new bonnet badge

Are you a bit slow?

Which bit of "if there is no traffic coming" do you not understand, anyone who goes through a red light into oncoming traffic is going to get what's coming to them.

You already have a space to stop ahead of the cars , Why isn't that good enough for you?

Because I can do as I like :mrgreen:

You have to ask yourself when at the traffic lights:

Would I like a cyclist to be sitting right in front of my bonnet right now preventing me from accelerating away?

Or would I prefer he gets out of the way so I can pass him easily up the road?

It's in YOUR interest that we do it.

If I ever drive through a green traffic light and suddenly find myself with a cyclist as a new bonnet badge when he slides off my bonnet in a pool of blood he will get a kicking off me as well as I will have to lose my no claims bonus to get my car fixed.

This is why I am all in favour of cameras at traffic light junctions. No, I realise that cyclists can still go through red, safe in the knowledge that they are anonymous. However, if and when (because it's inevitable) one gets squashed there will be photographic evidence of who is at fault (and who deserves all they get).

Sponsored Links
Back