Honour our commitments on leaving the EU ? Sod off...

Sponsored Links
I couldn’t find a liquidated damages clause in the treaty. No doubt if one existed or even something vaguely resembling one, it would have been found.

It's happening people. Deal with it
The Brexit referendum is an example of how the constitutional and political order of the UK is in a highly questionable state...
A House of Commons Briefing Paper 07212 (pdf download), published on 3 June 2015, pointed out to MPs, members of the House of Lords and other readers that the referendum was advisory only, and would not be binding on Parliament or government...
The referendum is advisory’ (Hansard for 16 June 2015). Yet the Brexit ministry has chosen to treat the referendum outcome as binding and mandating, in defiance of the explicit nature of the Referendum Act itself.
This and the inconsistencies of this referendum with other referenda raise a serious question of constitutional propriety. To arrange things as convenient for a given occasion – in effect making them up as one goes along – without any question of conformity to a due process and a propriety of constitutional order, throws the legitimacy of the process into doubt. This applies in a major way to the EU referendum in 2016....
Deliberate restriction of the franchise is gerrymandering: the EU referendum was gerrymandered.
http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2017/09/28/the-eu-referendum-was-gerrymandered/

Brexit is not the will of the people in the UK. It never has been.
http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2016/...will-of-the-british-people-it-never-has-been/

Britain has found itself running into numerous problems with Brexit because its strategy for exiting the EU has been a textbook example of failed strategic thinking.
http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2017/...extbook-example-of-failed-strategic-thinking/

That is BS though, despite the author's substantial irrelevant qualifications and beliefs.

An electorate of 40M+ are invited to vote on a matter. 17M say yes, 16M say no. 7 have said, don't care, on the basis that they didn't vote. They have abstained.

If you read his bio - lives in spain, works in the UK, he clearly has an agenda

Sponsored Links
however, it would not be accurate to claim that the population has expressed a firm desire for Brexit, less still for any particular form of Brexit.

They weren't told they would lose free access to the single market, they were told they would get an extra £350million a week for the NHS. Farmers were told they would continue to get landowners subsidy. They were told the falling pound and loss of finance sector jobs were just fear rumours. Even Knobhead Nigel said that a 48/52 split wouldn't be decisive and a further vote would be needed. Remember?

4852.jpg
BrexitRice.png

That is BS though, despite the author's substantial irrelevant qualifications and beliefs.

An electorate of 40M+ are invited to vote on a matter. 17M say yes, 16M say no. 7 have said, don't care, on the basis that they didn't vote. They have abstained.

If you read his bio - lives in spain, works in the UK, he clearly has an agenda
Authors'
There is more than one, just three mentioned there.
Which one were you referring to?
Grayling lives in Peckham
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._C._Grayling

Adrian Low is an Essex man,...He is still on the National Accreditation Committee of the British Computer Society (despite being resident in Spain) and regularly visits universities across the country and occasionally internationally, to chair accreditation panels.
He plays the piano, builds dodgy-quality websites and enjoys summers in his family’s French house.
http://www.staffs.ac.uk/staff/profiles/aal1.jsp

Introduction Dr Tim Oliver is a Jean Monnet Fellow at the European University Institute in Florence. He is also an Associate at LSE IDEAS and Director of Research at Brexit Analytics.
https://www.blogger.com/profile/03768087679163958425

Are you suggesting that the Brexiteers do not have an agenda?
Are you suggesting that other remainers do not have an agenda?
Are you suggesting that anyone who 'has an agenda' should not voice their 'learned and experienced' opinion on Brexit?

Last edited:
@wannabeDIY everyone has an agenda. I would expect academics to be a bit less silly though. Prof Low, I'm calling out his paper as flawed in my opinion. We all have to be careful not to defame however.
@JohnD - I agree [ finally we agree on something ;) ] 42/52 was way to close for anyone to say we voted for "this" or "that".

I think we narrowly voted to leave the EU and a sensible strategy would be to maintain as close ties as possible without hampering our global desires. This would have a good chance of keeping a decent majority reasonably happy. The Referendum was flawed, because we had a deal on the table for a better relationship with the EU, which was pretty much seen as not good enough by most. So we had the choice of rejecting it and imagining something new or accepting. It becomes very easy to imagine something very good as an alternative.

@wannabeDIY everyone has an agenda. I would expect academics to be a bit less silly though. Prof Low, I'm calling out his paper as flawed in my opinion.
Because he lives in Spain and 'summers' in France, his paper is flawed?
Perhaps Nigel Farage has an agenda:
Nigel Farage sharing £4million house with female French politician
Laure Ferrari, who is 15 years younger than the former UKIP leader, was photographed taking the bins out at the property in Chelsea
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-secret-house-french-politician-a7563426.html

@JohnD - I agree [ finally we agree on something ;) ] 42/52 was way to close for anyone to say we voted for "this" or "that".
48/52!

I think we narrowly voted to leave the EU
Those that were allowed to vote!

less still for any particular form of Brexit

It was a binary choice, Its only after did we start talking about soft or hard boiled or anything in between.

48% to 52% if that had been remain at 52% Im sure remainers would be saying, its a clear victory.

Remain 16,141,241
Leave 17,410,742

diff 1,269,501

1.2 million is quite a few.

It all depends on how one wants to present the numbers

The question asked was flawed. The remit should have been narrower or more specific and the government should have made the case for both sides - not it's side. It was a derliction of duty from Cameron. Something which he will walk away from the richer and this is the rub.

Our politicians have no skin in the game, they are insulated from their actions. Cameron losing the PM job is of little consequence, the policies remain.

As long as we have an electorate believe they have the same interests as billionaires - we won't get the reform the public deserves.

@wannabeDIY his paper is flawed :
- He uses post-vote polls to establish a strong remain vote. As we know polls rarely canvas a valid opinion. People have yet to understand what is going wrong with polling methods. Be it human mischievousness, flip-flopping, sponsored agenda or lazy sampling.
- He talks about a large portion of the population being against brexit because they did not vote for it. Had it been the other way around we could say a large portion of the population did not vote to remain in the EU. We could actually take that further and say a large population didn't vote to join. It means nothing.
- he fails to address buyers remorse or the pain of defining the new against an unwilling partner (i.e. the EU not wanting us to have a good deal, cake and eat it, punish the leavers to deter others etc.)
- He talks of a growing demographic of young who would vote remain and an aging group of old who will die off. He doesn't take account that people change. When I was a student, I hated thatcher and voted labour. When I became older I voted differently. I will vote to get me and my family the best deal as do many.

He also has a silly mustache

@Kankerot - I agree with some of what you say, its possible that some even voted against Cameron, for the hell of it.

He should have said, vote stay and we will do X, vote leave and we will do Y. benefits and risks of both.

however, it would not be accurate to claim that the population has expressed a firm desire for Brexit, less still for any particular form of Brexit.

Thats democracy FFS.

More voted one way, so that's the way it is. Like it or not.

For how long are you going to bleat on about it, just because you don't like the result?

Accept it, move on, it's happening.

do please tell me what progress the Cabinet of Chaos has achieved so far.

They don't have to have acheived anything.

The timetable is -
  • The notice to leave is triggered
  • The UK leaves the EU

Nothing can be done in between. The rules we must follow prevents us doing much else until we have left.

Meanwhile, people such as yourself continually talk the UK down in the meantime.

Sponsored Links
Back