Is anybody choosing to self isolate -or know a family member that is?

not tested. I personally can't see the point of focusing energy on testing people who aren't a high risk group.

You mean high risk of dying?

That's not the point. To control spread of the disease you need to know who's got it.

People who think they might be infected are being asked to isolate themselves and their families for two weeks.

If they just have a cold, that's millions of people being locked up for no benefit. Some of them will be food workers, or delivery drivers, or teachers, or nurses, or plumbers.

If, in fact, they do have the disease, then the ones who survive and recover in a month or so are a valuable resource if they are known now to be immune. They can do work which exposes them to infection, such as helping the sick, delivering food, working in care homes , arresting looters, or collecting the bodies.

Without testing, we won't know.

Testing is vital.

Sponsored Links
not tested. I personally can't see the point of focusing energy on testing people who aren't a high risk group.

That's not the point. To control spread of the disease you need to know who's got it. Some of them who don't seem ill might be working in sandwich bars.

People who think they might be infected are being asked to isolate themselves and their families for two weeks.

If they just have a cold, that's millions of people being locked up for no benefit. Some of them will be food workers, or delivery drivers, or teachers, or nurses, or plumbers.

If, in fact, they do have the disease, then the ones who survive and recover in a month or so are a valuable resource if they are known now to be immune. They can do work which exposes them to infection, such as helping the sick, delivering food, working in care homes , arresting looters, or collecting the bodies.

Testing is vital.

That's not the point. To control spread of the disease you need to know who's got it. Some of them who don't seem ill might be working in sandwich bars.

Testing is vital.

What does the WHO know?

What do all these experts know?

So all the world was in agreement and then there was the plucky UK. Now those defenfing its failed policy I hope put themselves at the back of the queue as the government starts to ramp up testing.

Like Brexit its all tough talk and when reality bites they just accept whats given.

If herd immunity was such a good idea we'd be putting everyone in Wembley stadium and asking them to cough on each other.

That was (almost) the plan, until the Premier League broke ranks and cancelled all of the footie......

Realistically then, what is your chosen solution to this pandemic?

(None of the following have any malice, side, or offence added on my part; I am just genuinely curious as to what the practicable strategies are).

Pray for a vaccine that may never come?
Lock down the world, and keep it locked down. For how long? Years?
Cross one's fingers for the virus to burn itself out, like SARS?
Hope that CV becomes like the flu, circling the globe annually, and it's death toll becoming an accepted norm?

Sponsored Links

I think that is probably a sound argument. In regard to your other point. You don't need to know who has it, to reduce the risk of people spreading it. Once you think the infection has a critical mass, you can take steps on the population as a whole to reduce the spread.

What does the WHO know?

What do all these experts know?

So all the world was in agreement and then there was the plucky UK.

Not sure I'm buying that.. You only have to see the reports in the daily updates to know that half the world at least aren't testing people.

India, Russia, US, Africa etc. that's probably 30% of the population.

I think that is probably a sound argument. In regard to your other point. You don't need to know who has it, to reduce the risk of people spreading it.

You need to know who has it if you want to isolate the infectious people, without locking up everybody.

That was (almost) the plan, until the Premier League broke ranks and cancelled all of the footie......

Realistically then, what is your chosen solution to this pandemic?

(None of the following have any malice, side, or offence added on my part; I am just genuinely curious as to what the practicable strategies are).

Pray for a vaccine that may never come?
Lock down the world, and keep it locked down. For how long? Years?
Cross one's fingers for the virus to burn itself out, like SARS?
Hope that CV becomes like the flu, circling the globe annually, and it's death toll becoming an accepted norm?
SARS is the best example of how to deal with it. SARS didn't burn out of its own free will, it burnt out because affected countries put in overwhelming and effective isolation techniques. As they are doing now.

This is harder as whilst SARS was more dangerous this is more infectious, and in particular infectious when asymptomatic.

The UK approach is assuming that we can't do that, that it's not possible to isolate to an extent where it can burn out. That appears to be happening in China and some other nations.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/03/13/science.abb3221.full

Estimation of the prevalence and contagiousness of undocumented novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV2) infections is critical for understanding the overall prevalence and pandemic potential of this disease. Here we use observations of reported infection within China, in conjunction with mobility data, a networked dynamic metapopulation model and Bayesian inference, to infer critical epidemiological characteristics associated with SARS-CoV2, including the fraction of undocumented infections and their contagiousness. We estimate 86% of all infections were undocumented (95% CI: [82%–90%]) prior to 23 January 2020 travel restrictions. Per person, the transmission rate of undocumented infections was 55% of documented infections ([46%–62%]), yet, due to their greater numbers, undocumented infections were the infection source for 79% of documented cases. These findings explain the rapid geographic spread of SARS-CoV2 and indicate containment of this virus will be particularly challenging.

Its why WHO are imploring to Test, Test, Test.

Which part of the country?

NHS is already getting filled and staff are getting close to strike as they are not being tested.

I would try to isolate as much as possible, the service will be overwhelmed unfortunately. Look after yourself.

In Preston. Yes, thanks. Had R-Chop, R-CVP, then radio, then R-ICE and then B-EAM which depletes the bone marrow. Finally got a stem cell transplant at year 10. I am self-isolating.

It seems my nieces fiancee has covid 19 -yesterday he had high temperature and sore throat but no coughing (could be tonsillitis of course)

my niece is a radiographer and so is works in a key department for corona -chest x rays, etc scans etc.

my sister has had contact with them over the weekend -so I don't think she can visit our dad any more.....

Update
My nieces fiance has now developed a cough, but he is feeling slightly better.

He is a teacher, apparently quite a few staff have reported similar symptoms. One of the staff in the school flew back from Italy in half term, was back for a week, then went off sick.

My niece has told her NHS boss who still wants her to work as she has no symptoms.

Does cow urine protect you against corona virus?

Why didbt we try herd immunity for polio?

What do you do as a day job? How your industry coping?

The question was for notch. Looks like he has skulked off.
Your nonsense doesn't apply.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back