More questions than answers......

Sponsored Links
Frightening, but no sense in worrying yourself to death over what we don't know.

Frightening, but no sense in worrying yourself to death over what we don't know.

I'm not, but I am concerned that how we're living now is the new normal , going forward.

Not that it is particularly bothering me at the moment (furloughed), but shoite for the kids (team sports, school, "courting" when the time comes).....
Bars and restaurants.
Holidays.
All manner of jobs will be untenable.

Last edited:
I'm not, but I am concerned that how we're living now is the new norma , going forward.

Not that it is particularly bothering me at the moment (furloughed), but shoite for the kids (team sports, school, "courting" when the time comes).....
Bars and restaurants.
Holidays.
All manner of jobs will be untenable.

Will you be wearing a mask then?

I suppose the antibody test will be a gamechanger or a breakthrough vaccination or treatment.

Sponsored Links
A new vaccine doesn't fill me with confidence to be honest.
The thalidomide vaccine, which was hailed as a wonder drug to combat morning sickness, still springs to mind.
New drugs/vaccines need to be thoroughly tested on a wide range of people with controlled groups and placebo groups amongst other criteria.

I'm not sure when or if I'll be going back to the office. I work away from home, the Journey to my place of work requires significant train travel (ok, I could drive) but also entails staying in an hotel, which I'd imagine will be a hotbed for spreading the virus.

A new vaccine doesn't fill me with confidence to be honest.
The thalidomide vaccine, which was hailed as a wonder drug to combat morning sickness, still springs to mind.
New drugs/vaccines need to be thoroughly tested on a wide range of people with controlled groups and placebo groups amongst other criteria.
Was Thalidomide a vaccine? There has been many very effective vaccines, some have side effect some don't where would we be without BCG, Polio,Smallpox vaccines etc?

Was Thalidomide a vaccine?

No.

it is still in use (as an effective leprosy treatment), but is not prescribed to women who are, or might become, pregnant unless they commit to reliable contraception.

Sadly the rules are not always followed.

I'm not sure when or if I'll be going back to the office. I work away from home, the Journey to my place of work requires significant train travel (ok, I could drive) but also entails staying in an hotel, which I'd imagine will be a hotbed for spreading the virus.

Hotels aren't even open, AFAIK. And I can't see how they safely can, any time soon.

Hotels aren't even open, AFAIK. And I can't see how they safely can, any time soon.

No, they're not even taking bookings until the end of May, but that looks extremely optomistic in my view, plus with my situation, I can't really think work will want me back in the office anytime in the foreseeable.

Fortunately I can work from home, sadly though..... I've never liked working from home!

No, thalidomide wasn't a vaccine it was a tablet. My mistake for typing quickly and not proof reading before posting. But the basis of my point is still valid. Thorough testing over a large controlled group before general release. No point in finding a 'cure' if the longer term situation is to cause another problem.

I once asked my kidney consultant about having the flu jab because the GP I was registered under at the time kept insisting I have it. After a long discussion about my health from childhood to mid 50's he asked if I wanted to have it. I said no because, as far as I was concerned, I had never had flu and during my life had built up a fairly robust immune system to most things in my opinion. He agreed it would be 'silly' to introduce a bacteria/virus into my body at my age when I had no reason to suspect it would help me personally. A friend I met while undergoing kidney treatment was in a similar health frameset, (not had any major illnesses, had coped with the usual childhood things and never had flu etc), but he was persuaded it would be best if he had the jab. Poor bloke had an allergic reaction and they were unable to save him, so, thanks but no thanks.

Heard something yesterday, or read, that many colds are caused by other types of coronavirus, and it may have been the case that with each wave in the past many people would have died. We know that when Europeans went to the Americas in the 1500s, huge numbers of natives died from what they believe to be the common cold, amongst other diseases (some reports that around 10% of the world's population was wiped out by Europeans taking their diseases to the Americas).

So it really might be a case that our only hope is that in time most people get immunity, maybe not entirely, but to the point that the body can cope with future infections. And the only way to do this is to let it spread slowly, giving the NHS as much chance as possible to save lives, and reducing deaths. This won't go away, unless there is a vaccine, so things are not going to change in a hurry.

No, thalidomide wasn't a vaccine it was a tablet. My mistake for typing quickly and not proof reading before posting. But the basis of my point is still valid. Thorough testing over a large controlled group be fore general release. No point in finding a 'cure' if the longer term situation is to cause another problem.

I once asked my kidney consultant about having the flu jab because the GP I was registered under at the time kept insisting I have it. After a long discussion about my health from childhood to mid 50's he asked if I wanted to have it. I said no because, as far as I was concerned, I had never had flu and during my life had built up a fairly robust immune system to most things in my opinion. He agreed it would be 'silly' to introduce a bacteria into my body at my age when I had no reason to suspect it would help me personally. A friend I met while undergoing kidney treatment was in a similar health frameset, (not had any major illnesses, had coped with the usual childhood things and never had flu etc), but he was persuaded it would be best if he had the jab. Poor bloke had an allergic reaction and they were unable to save him, so, thanks but no thanks.

It not a bacteria, its a weakend (i.e. its payload is removed) 'flu virus.

Sponsored Links
Back