Physics Puzzle

Spark123 said:
For an aircraft to take off (i.e. have lift) it must have forward momentum through the air which is theoretically still. This forwards force is caused by the engines thrust pushing the aeropane forwards against the still air (not the moving runway).
True that there is no force against the runway, but not true that there is a force against the air, since that's not how jets work.

The thrust comes from the principle of conservation of momentium - you bung a bunch of hot gas out the back of a jet engine, at high speed, and the engine reacts by being forced in the other direction (equal and opposite reaction). The engine is attached to the wing, which is attached to the plane, so the whole kit and caboodle moves forward.

Spark123 said:
This force needs to overcome the air resistance and any other forces acting against it for the plane to move forwards. Now comes the tricky bit when you consider what was being said about the runway moving, it depends on how you calculate the speed, wether it is done relative to a still point (the air or terra firma) where the wheels will spin at twice the rate which they would normally or wether it is calculated between the wheel and the moving runway. It is an impossible concept for the runway to be moving at the opposite but equal speed to the wheel and for the aircraft moving forwards, the only time this holds true is when the aircraft is stationary so this is where the treadmill falls down. As soon as the wheel moves forward say 1m, the treadmill will have to move backwards 1m to compensate causing the wheel to move 2m which means at the same time the treadmill has to move 2m to compensate etc etc etc....
This is all very nice, but irrelevant. The plane will move forward if the jet thrust overcomes the friction at the wheels.

johnny_t said:
It is kind of the same difference as you would get between having a car in neutral on a moving conveyor belt, and a car in 1st gear. The Car in neutral would not move backards at the speed of the conveyor belt, even though the wheels were turning at the same speed as the conveyor was moving underneath it.
The car analogy is a poor one, because the motive force requires friction between tyre and ground, therefore the car velocity is non-zero relative only to the conveyor belt, since we're told that the conveyor always moves at the same speed as the car, but in the opposing direction.

big-all said:
rubber wheels on rubber conveyor would give you probably about 90% of the weight as avalable grip for acceleration and deceleration
Grip between airplane tyre and runway has nothing to do with take off. It is vital when landing because the plane is slowed down using brakes on the wheels.

empip said:
The (unladen) aircraft having surplus power is well placed to overcome the added friction.. it accelerates through the air, relative to terra firma up to take off velocity then leaves the runway/ belt, with wheels spinning very quickly.
Utterly correct, but really only a long-winded repeat of what I wrote earlier. The wheels will be spinning precisely twice as quickly as if the conveyor was not moving at all, and the friction will be precisely twice as great, assuming that the increase in friction of the bearings and tyres is linear.

Spark123 said:
I thought in order for the plane to move forward the wheel speed must exceed that of the conveyor??
No. No no no no no. No.

A positive net forward motion of the plane on the conveyor requires only that the thrust from the engines can overcome twice the frictional force that arises at the wheels, which is twice as big as when taking off from ground that is stationary.

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
Spark123 said:
For an aircraft to take off (i.e. have lift) it must have forward momentum through the air which is theoretically still. This forwards force is caused by the engines thrust pushing the aeropane forwards against the still air (not the moving runway).
True that there is no force against the runway, but not true that there is a force against the air, since that's not how jets work.

The thrust comes from the principle of conservation of momentium - you bung a bunch of hot gas out the back of a jet engine, at high speed, and the engine reacts by being forced in the other direction (equal and opposite reaction). The engine is attached to the wing, which is attached to the plane, so the whole kit and caboodle moves forward.
We live and learn, I'll stand corrected ;)
Spark123 said:
This force needs to overcome the air resistance and any other forces acting against it for the plane to move forwards. Now comes the tricky bit when you consider what was being said about the runway moving, it depends on how you calculate the speed, wether it is done relative to a still point (the air or terra firma) where the wheels will spin at twice the rate which they would normally or wether it is calculated between the wheel and the moving runway. It is an impossible concept for the runway to be moving at the opposite but equal speed to the wheel and for the aircraft moving forwards, the only time this holds true is when the aircraft is stationary so this is where the treadmill falls down. As soon as the wheel moves forward say 1m, the treadmill will have to move backwards 1m to compensate causing the wheel to move 2m which means at the same time the treadmill has to move 2m to compensate etc etc etc....
This is all very nice, but irrelevant. The plane will move forward if the jet thrust overcomes the friction at the wheels.
My point was the aircraft moving forwards makes the initial statement false, the treadmill can't run at an equal speed in the opposite direction to the wheel relative to the runway and the plane move forwards. I understand what you are saying i.e. the plane will have to move with the jet thrust but I can't see how the conveyor belt will compensate for this movement and the initial statement still be true other than taking the speed of the wheel from a fixed point which agreed will cause the wheel to double in speed.

The Aircraft is full of terrorists and they blow it up :rolleyes:

Softus said:
johnny_t said:
It is kind of the same difference as you would get between having a car in neutral on a moving conveyor belt, and a car in 1st gear. The Car in neutral would not move backards at the speed of the conveyor belt, even though the wheels were turning at the same speed as the conveyor was moving underneath it.
The car analogy is a poor one, because the motive force requires friction between tyre and ground, therefore the car velocity is non-zero relative only to the conveyor belt, since we're told that the conveyor always moves at the same speed as the car, but in the opposing direction.

Maybe so, but you can't deny that my winch analogy is a peach...

Sponsored Links
Spark123 said:
johnny_t said:
Turn the winch, the plane goes forward. Wheels and conveyor keep spinning below, but the plane goes forward. The conveyor matches the wheel speed, not the plane speed. In fact, given a good contact between the two, they can't do anything but match each other.

I thought in order for the plane to move forward the wheel speed must exceed that of the conveyor??

I used to think that too, but then I had a moment of zen-like enlightenment when all became clear, but unfortunately I can't communicate it very well.

Under normal circumstances, the speed of the wheels matches the speed of the plane, but it is a side-effect of the planes movement. There is no actual tie between the movement of the wheels and the movement of the plane - no gears, no motor, no nothing like that, and the two movements can exist completely independently if they are, for example, put on a big, backwards moving conveyor belt.

breaking news

someone accidently put the conveyor into reverse so the planes gone and

we all got it wrong :D :D :D :D ;)

no different in principle to the tracks on a tank, ie at some point they are in contact with ground and not moving...but they are if that makes sense.

anyway it will take off as the conveyor belt will be operated by some neanderthal who will mix it up with the luggage belt and the plane will end up flying around the terminal building while the suitcases hurtle down the runway

johnny_t said:
...you can't deny that my winch analogy is a peach...
You're right - I'd failed to spot that post of yours. It is indeed a peach, and a perfectly ripe and succulent one at that.

Thermo said:
no different in principle to the tracks on a tank, ie at some point they are in contact with ground and not moving...but they are if that makes sense.
Excuse me disavailing you of that theory Thermo, but it absolutely isn't the same principle.

A tank, much like a car, puts a force to its tracks (or, in a car, the drive wheels), relying on friction (aka traction) to transfer that force to an immovable object, i.e. the ground.

A plane, on the other hand, puts no tractive force to the ground, by any means whatsoever. Instead the force that "pushes" backwards is the expulsion of combustion gases from the jet engine, and the engine "pushes" forwards with an equal and opposite reaction to that of the gases.

Where?...im half ****ed after watching the football and the computer has gone funny on me..the screen has gone blurred for some reason!

Tell you what, guys, just e-mail me the right answer when you're done!!!

Nige F said:

Or full of asylum seekers..in which case even if it could take off it woulndt be allowed to until Libery interfered and forced the UK to allow them all to stay

Zampa said:
Nige F said:

Or full of asylum seekers..in which case even if it could take off it woulndt be allowed to until Libery interfered and forced the UK to allow them all to stay

Only until they, the (Libery) Library, got their books back surely?
:D :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
Back