Shot across the bows....A Warning to heed

B

Big_Spark

I have not had a drink in many months, not by choice, simpy circumstances, anyway I picked a mate up today to finish a job and then dropped him in Chelsmford, but we had a PINT in his local. As I was hungry I went into town to get some fish and chips (shut so settled for Chicken Kebab) I had to drive for 25 minutes thorough country lanes to get into town where I live.

The Police were doing randam stops of people, no problem, I took a breath test and it came back as WARNING!!!!!!!

The copper was good as gold, I explained that I had only had ONE pint but had not eaten all day, he gave me a load of facts and figures I won't bore you all with but what it boils down to is this..

If your not a regular drinker (not heavy) and you don't eat a lot, be careful if you have to drive. I didn't, and don't feel like I had a drink, but the machine gave me a shot across the bows about how easy it is to cross the line unintentionally. Having just bought a new van I have no intention of risking my license, and I don't want to risk mine or someone else life either, so this is simply to say, Guys and Gals, PLEASE be very careful, It would certainly appear to be easier to be over the limit than we normally think, and I would hate to see anyone cross that line.

I have learnt a valuable lesson, please don't make the mistake I almost made.

Sponsored Links
If I recall from some of your previous posts, you're quite a big chap so if one pint shows up then it shows even the one can be a bad idea.

Good thing you aren't one of these people who reckons they can have 2 pints and drive. Having had a lift off a mate who believed he could have 2 pints of stella and drive, I can safely say, you can't! He didn't crash, but there was an ABS incident that I saw coming half a mile off. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I wonder if there is a 'discretionary zone' with breathalisers? This would alleviate the problem of where to draw the line between legal/illegal - The difference of 0.001 mg (or whatever?)

If the police create a fuzzy line between the two, the circumstances can be taken into account. For example: Person A, has been pulled over because one of his brake lights is inoperable and is breathalised because he smells of alcohol. He registered in the 'zone'

Person B was seen to be late braking approaching a set of traffic lights which caused him to skid momentarily and is stopped and breathalised because he also smells of alcohol and likewise is registered in the zone.

Do the Police proscecute the second driver because he is deemed as to be a risk? Where as the first driver wasn't witnessed as being a danger???

I just wondered if there was such a thing as discretion in the case of breathaliser results, as I've never heard of a 'warning before? But would seem to make sense, but then...

Thanks for the links Breezer and Ninebob. Ninebob, sorry to hear about the outcome, but at least your pragmatic about it.

MMJ, the breathalizer actually said WARN on it's display, the Police do not chjoose this it is set by the manufacturers at Gov Guidelines. I think it is a good idea as It showed me quite clearly that although, as has been said above, I am a big bloke, the old wives tail about size etc is not true. I hardly ate a thing yesterday and I think that was more influencial on the result than anything, but what it has taught me is that One Pint = NO DRIVE.

I cannot afford a ban, it would a be a TOTAL DISASTER. I think the law should be changed to get rid of this ambiguity, many people I have spoken to this morning seem to be of the impression that one pint or two pints would be fine and they are shocked to learn that a second for me would have put me over the limit. I don't think this is a case of the Police getting it wrong, but the legislators. It should be If you Drink Alcohol, you don't drive.

I cannot fault the Police last night, the Officer was good as gold, Polite and helpful (It's not like me to say this about the Police either!!)

jasy said:
1 Pint is TOO much. It should be ZERO tolerance!

problem with zero tolerence is your body produces its own alcahol plus you have 3 pints have six hours sleep no breakfast you could be over the zero level :rolleyes:

Yes, the breathalyser has 3 lights, green=ok, orange=warning and red=dead. It's quite simple, and Jasy has got it right. If you intend to drink, then leave the car at home. Not exactly rocket science is it.

mildmanneredjanitor said:
So what about the morning after?

seen it on tv, its quite surprising, even after you have been asleep (next day) you can still be over the limit

After a heavy night you can still carry enough alcohol in your body the next morning. And you can get a 'red' result on the breathalyser.

So the moral is. If attending an important appointment tomorrow, don't go and get rat a*sed tonight

In Sheffield the police do random roadside tests the morning after new years eve and despite publicising it in the local papers etc they still catch a fair few people over the limit.

Incidentally, I passed a breath test once after six pints of stella. The warning light came on, and the officer said - " I have to advise you not to drive, but legally there is nothing I can do so on your way" I was fairly hungry, and weighed 11 stone, so it's a pretty grey area to say the least. I had been pulled for speeding during the annual D+D christmas campaign ie 44mph in a 30mph zone, but did not feel drunk and was confident throughout that I would not be nicked. The speeding offence was not even mentioned. Which suggests to me, society accepts speeding, but have a drink OH MY GOD......

(stand by for incoming...)

Sponsored Links
Back