Tesco

Sponsored Links
Oi, stop hijacking my shyte Supermarket thread with your half arzed attempt at growing veg!!
Most allotment owners just use chemicals to bring on their veg, more E numbers in a carrot than a Packet of Haribos!!
:p

:)

I didn't have that trouble because had all the tools anyway, pinched off my better half and stuff had from gardening in the old house. There's also ways to cut costs, I always buy my seeds at the end of the season at a fraction of the price - Wilco's for example sell off branded seeds for 50p instead of £2-3, same as netting, plant food etc. And things like fruit bushes, Tesco sell them in March for £2 - one punnets worth of raspberries for example and got the money worth back. As you can tell, I quite enjoy trying to do my allotment on the cheap, part the fun.

Sorry your allotment folk are a pain... nearly all of mine are ace luckily. We do have a lazy council tho who don't insist unused plots are given up, am surrounded by overgrown allotments and have been like it since I started 3 years ago. £20 a year for a half plot is too cheap for them to pay and keep just in case they change their minds I suppose.

Lol, probably! :)

I buy most of my seed from garden centres although the guy on the plot next to me buys all his stuff online from justseed.com. I find stuff in bags like potatoes and onions from the garden centres is generally of poor quality. Had better luck using potatoes from the shop. I think the quality of seed does matter definately.. I certainly think that expiration dates apply as well, never had much luck with seed passed it's use by. Often the seed takes ages to root and the size of the crop is not as good.

Recently bought 2 blueberry bushes from woldens garden centre, £12 each primarily because they were huge, well established bushes. I love raspberries, and at £2 is a steal but a lot of space needed. So long as you have a plan on how you are going to train them the briar fruits are one of the most productive in terms of effort/reward ratio as you know.

Declining profits, dodgy accountancy practices & shrinking market share.

I'd pay more for a Pint of Milk to help the Farmers.

Tesco's fruit & veg has always been rotten!!!
Yeah, I would if I could. First thing we did when we moved here was look for a decent farmers market - nowt around at all.

I think most fruit and veg is fairly old before it hits the supermarket innit? My ol' mum used to buy King Edward spuds by the sack from local farm shop, lasted for months whereas I think Tesco King Edwards last about a week if lucky :(

Oh and agree, Tesco's is a horrible shop, expensive too.

Sponsored Links
Oi, stop hijacking my shyte Supermarket thread with your half arzed attempt at growing veg!!
Most allotment owners just use chemicals to bring on their veg, more E numbers in a carrot than a Packet of Haribos!!

Not since that well known brand of herbicide was proven to be a carcinogen and massively increased the risk cancer. In fact there's a guy on my site that used to spray his plot with weed killer and he's now battling cancer. I never use chemicals, don't even use the slug killer pellets. You mainly grow stuff like tubers (carrots/potatoes/garlic) which can't be affected by such pests. Can't worry about it to much as the environment is polluted to fukc anyway.

I buy most of my seed from garden centres although the guy on the plot next to me buys all his stuff online from justseed.com. I find stuff in bags like potatoes and onions from the garden centres is generally of poor quality. Had better luck using potatoes from the shop. I think the quality of seed does matter definately.. I certainly think that expiration dates apply as well, never had much luck with seed passed it's use by. Often the seed takes ages to root and the size of the crop is not as good.

Recently bought 2 blueberry bushes from woldens garden centre, £12 each primarily because they were huge, well established bushes. I love raspberries, and at £2 is a steal but a lot of space needed. So long as you have a plan on how you are going to train them the briar fruits are one of the most productive in terms of effort/reward ratio as you know.
£12 isn't too bad.. I don't think, esp from a garden centre! I've bought 3 raspberry bushes so far from Tesco, the first year I bought two and even tho took a while to get going, had fruit that year. This year they went mad, pleased to say! Anyway, if you've the time and can be bothered there are fab ways of getting things on the cheap. Most seed packets have a couple of years on them too, so end of season bargains really save the dosh.

Potatoes, I've only ever bought one bag of seeded spuds and they were awful. All of the spuds (King Edwards and Charlotte spuds) grown on from sprouting spuds in my food cupboard have done me great, grins. Thought I'd take my chances as would've thrown them out anyway and I'll probably never buy a seeded spud again!

Not since that well known brand of herbicide was proven to be a carcinogen and massively increased the risk cancer. In fact there's a guy on my site that used to spray his plot with weed killer and he's now battling cancer. I never use chemicals, don't even use the slug killer pellets. You mainly grow stuff like tubers (carrots/potatoes/garlic) which can't be affected by such pests. Can't worry about it to much as the environment is polluted to fukc anyway.
Chicken poop - that's what I get :) Smells choice.. ug!
I used copper tape around plastic bottles, or wire around boxes connected to a 9v battery for tender plants, works a charm, slugs and snails soon turn around.

Oops, hijacked again, sorry PullerGas :)

Speak for yourself, London is polluted its a shYte hole!!

No, they generally use what most growers use.

Farmers use NPK fertiliser, which is all Miraclegro is.

I recently started going back to tesco, I was fed up with long queues, moldy bread and rotten fruit and veg, which I often get at lidl.

Our local Lidl is great!! Fantastic bread & Baker section, their fruit & veg is also very good.
Perhaps the locals around your bit are too posh to be seen in Lidl & their goods don't turn over very quickly??!! See anyone with a balaclava on in your Lidl MB?

I used to make my own curries from scratch, and the cash-and-carry was the place to go. Not a Costco-type place, but a local minimarket or sorts, run by, and mostly frequented by the pakistani / bangladeshi local community.
Making huge batches in a stock pot for freezing, it made sense to buy in bulk.
12lb of onions, a pound of fresh garlic, and a pound of ginger (enough for about forty meals-for-two), for a fiver or so.
2lb of cumin / chilli powder / paprika etc, for less than 2 oz of the same for the supermarket.

You just need a big freezer for all of the plastic tubs full of homemade curry sauce!

Another excellent item from Lidl is their steaks!! Wonderful value meats.
Tesco's meat products are rancid, I wouldn't even feed it to the dogs.

Sponsored Links
Back