Thinking About A New Car

Plus, I'm given to understand (from a friend who bought a new BMW plug-in hybrid last year) the battery range reduces by a third if all the accessories required for winter driving are switched on, so I imagine the same situation would apply to an EV ?

Or to put it another way, if a car with 75kWh battery uses 25kWh to run lights and heater

Does a car with a 150kWh battery use 50kWh to run lights and heater?

Or a car with 300kWh battery use 100kWh?

No reason why it should.

Sponsored Links
I... oooh......erm....Where to start with all of that?

Well, mostly its wrong.

lol

ok so you are disputing the experts, such as channel 4's despatches etc

people who live where they are unable to park outside there house (there are many of them in cities and towns), people who live in flats etc.

it is not mostly wrong,, but is a true reflection of where we currently are in the transition.

not to mention the additional cost of an electric vehicle over conventional vehicles, it will come down, but is so far restricted to the financially elite, or those that only require to travel short journeys.

things are changing, the likes of the MG ZS is making electric vehicle ownership available to the masses with many others who will be following shortly, but there still lies an infrastructure issue.

Plus, I'm given to understand (from a friend who bought a new BMW plug-in hybrid last year) the battery range reduces by a third if all the accessories required for winter driving are switched on, so I imagine the same situation would apply to an EV ?

there is many variables, but yes it could be the case on earlier smaller cars, (nissan leaf as an example)

My neighbours have a 63 plate Nissan Leaf......an older car by now but the batteries are (apparently) at around 90% efficiency. How this is is measured is unknown to me but I was impressed.
Recently they headed off to the Smoke, planning their route via charging points. It was a nightmare for them finding either broken / vandalised points or simply queues and they vowed - never again.....particularly in the dark and winter.
Anyway, some obvious questions....
1) Has the UK sufficient infrastructure to provide enough electricity for us all? - yes, there is many diesel and gas gensets in the UK which sit dormant, but are on a aplan where when needed they can load electricity to the grid to keep the lights on.
2) Surely the economic savings for EV users will quickly disappear? - if energy prices keep going the way they are i would presume so, the government has also got ideas on a new road tax plan also, EV's will only be cheap to run for a short while.
3) Surely the planet has limited resources of lithium / vanadium or whatever do avoid total devastation of areas of land? - yes, the batteries can be recycled, but its very dangerous and expensive (costs more to recycle than mine new) and so far only around 5% of lithium batteries are recycled, as time goes on and investments made, i'm sure this will improve rapidly..
4) Has the recycling facilities of spent units been considered? as above.
John :)

Sponsored Links
most people with electric cars they have a 2nd car that has an ICE

hybrid cars have both.

a plug-in hybrid, if you do local trips and have a socket at home, might go for months without using petrol

Recent electric cars have range of over 250 miles.

people who live where they are unable to park outside there house (there are many of them in cities and towns), people who live in flats etc.

are the people who might choose to buy a hybrid, but not a pure EV, unless, say, they worked at a place with chargers, or habitually went to a supermart or other place with chargers.

Most cars drive less than a thousand miles a month.

lol

ok so you are disputing the experts, such as channel 4's despatches etc

it is not mostly wrong,, but is a true reflection of where we currently are in the transition.

not to mention the additional cost of an electric vehicle over conventional vehicles, it will come down, but is so far restricted to the financially elite, or those that only require to travel short journeys.

things are changing, the likes of the MG ZS is making electric vehicle ownership available to the masses with many others who will be following shortly, but there still lies an infrastructure issue.
Wut?

Well, for a start, **** msm. I wouldn't trust them to be able to see the truth, never mind relay or report on it.

If you don't have off street parking then that's something you need to factor in your own suitability to own a ev and completely irrelevant to my comments.

are the people who might choose to buy a hybrid, but not a pure EV, unless, say, they worked at a place with chargers, or habitually went to a supermart or other place with chargers.

Most cars drive less than a thousand miles a month.

I'm doing 3000km/m in my EV without blinking. Except for the odd trips down the country (250km) i have never had to charge mid-trip, nor has range limitations ever stopped me from going anywhere.

Electric? There’s at least a 6 month wait and they just doubled the cost to charge it.
Nio in China have got the idea. You just buy the car , no battery, and pay a subscription fee based on usage and power of the battery you want . You don’t own a battery . Just pull into a service station for a battery swap when it’s flat. just like you’d do to fill up here.
The system here is and will be a complete joke. Theyve already priced it out of reality for sensible people . Until they address the fact that people living in high rise , terraced and other situations have no way to carry out ev ownership I don’t see it as a viable altrernative.

A mate of mine that lives in a terraced house in East Ham, London, would love an EV as it would suit his needs. Trouble is, he can rarely get to park outside his own house so he wouldn't be able to charge it. There must be hundreds of thousands if not millions of people in the same position as him. Can't see how it's going to work.

A mate of mine that lives in a terraced house in East Ham, London, would love an EV as it would suit his needs. Trouble is, he can rarely get to park outside his own house so he wouldn't be able to charge it. There must be hundreds of thousands if not millions of people in the same position as him. Can't see how it's going to work.
It just won't, let's not forget everyone in a flat or parks away from their home, even new developments being built right now do not have to fit charging points for all properties just a token percentage.

A PHEV would work for us as we not only have off-street parking, but being retired the majority of our journeys are within 25 miles round trip. In fact 50% of them are less than half that, leaving us the ICE for a rare longer jaunt.

Now all we need is for the tooth-fairy to leave £15k under the pillow for us to buy a decent used PHEV :LOL:

I sell new cars for a living, and drive a Peugeot e208. I absolutely love it. But I live literally two miles from our showroom and plug it in every Monday to one of our dealerships chargers and it will easily last me until the following week.
I retire in two years time.
Would I buy an e208 for my retirement?
Nope.
I have no facility at home to install a charge point, don't even have off road parking.
But in my current situation it is the ideal tool.

They'll have to make special trips to charge the car and sit and wait for an hour.

Sponsored Links
Back