We Need These Signs On Our Motorways!

You have conveniently forgotten that the intercity motorway was NOT built for the private motorist to be able to commute miles to get to better paying jobs just so you and your ilk can greedy greedy your lives whilst stuffing up the transport network... etc.

I get the impression that you'd prefer it if cars were banned from all three lanes.

Then you'd all be able to 'overtake' each other even more. I envisage seeing three HGVs: one in lane 1 at 54mph, another in lane 2 at 55mph and yet another in lane 3 at 56mph. :LOL:

Seriously, is there anything to be gained practically by HGVs overtaking each other at a speed differential of one or two mph?

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately "Common Sense" is probably the rarest commodity in the World today.
Ain't that the truth.

How did this come about?
When was the ability to think and work out things yourself lost?

I wonder whether we have a chicken and egg scenario here.

Has common sense evaporated because of the government's nanny state activities instructing people to do the right thing, causing them to lose any need for common sense,
or was the nanny state created after the general loss of common sense in order to account for it?

In any event, I sometimes feel I am the last person to have retained any! :LOL:

Not wishing to change the direction of the thread but we all know that there is a very good reason why common sense on the roads has disappeared. I can't mention it though because it might lure DC back to what has been a relatively calm forum for a few weeks.

;)

Not wishing to change the direction of the thread but we all know that there is a very good reason why common sense on the roads has disappeared. I can't mention it though because it might lure DC back to what has been a relatively calm forum for a few weeks.

;)

Yes. How do they manage to pass the driving test?

Or perhaps they don't bother.

Or perhaps they 'get a friend' to sit it for them.

You have conveniently forgotten that the intercity motorway was NOT built for the private motorist to be able to commute miles to get to better paying jobs just so you and your ilk can greedy greedy your lives whilst stuffing up the transport network.

You're NOT supposed to be leaving the shire, so you can use Public Transport to get to your place of employment.

The Motorway network was built to move GOODS not people and now you have the audacity to complain WE are getting in the way of YOU !

What's that crap all about ?

We don't come into your place of employment and stuff your job up so GET THE HELL OUT OF OUR PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT (the road)

But that's not going to happen is it ?
Just like the morons who buy houses next to entertainment stadiums and then whinge about the noise !

As for forcing Commercial vehicles to stay in the inside lane.. Just lol
I wonder how you are going to get anywhere near a motorway after the gridlock the wall of steel in the inside lane will create and the muppets who don't know how to merge correctly causing the tail-backs leading to the motorway!!

The freight came off the rails because it was realised that road freight was MUCH MORE efficient and cheaper.

The government built special roads to allow the rapid movement of goods. They are called MOTORWAYS.

An average goods train can take up to 60 lorries off the road.
Get shut of them and their (nobhead drivers) and that's a lot of congestion gone straight away.

Taking goods by train over road produces an average 76% reduction in co emissions per ton carried.

Lorries are disproportionately responsible for road casualties (those nobhead drivers again).

On average a gallon of fuel will move a ton of goods 246 miles by rail and only 88 miles by road. Do the maths.

Rail freight produces less than a tenth of the nitrogen oxide and fine particulates of road haulage per tonne carried.

So just how is road transport much more efficient and cheaper?

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links
An average goods train can take up to 60 lorries off the road.
That depends where the lorry and train are going.

Get shut of them and their (nobhead drivers) and that's a lot of congestion gone straight away.
You don't want food or goods any more then? -
or your new gadget by next day delivery.

Taking goods by train over road produces an average 76% reduction in co emissions per ton carried.
However, it does not take them where they are wanted.

Lorries are disproportionately responsible for road casualties (those nobhead drivers again).
Perhaps we should have three times as many smaller ones.

On average a gallon of fuel will move a ton of goods 246 miles by rail and only 88 miles by road. Do the maths.
Do the maths counting the mileage from factory to railhead to railhead to customer.
Hang on, how do they get to and from the railheads?

Rail freight produces less than a tenth of the nitrogen oxide and fine particulates of road haulage per tonne carried.
However, it does not take them where they are wanted.

So just how is road transport much more efficient and cheaper?
Time is money.

Dear Mr.Sooey,
Thank you for using Amazon for your order of a new computer.
When we have enough similar orders from your area to fill a container we will put it on a train and notify you of its despatch then three days later you should be able to collect it from your nearest rail depot which you will find at Crewe.

If you want 10,000 tons of coal and live by a railway track you can have it tomorrow.
Yours...

Yes, we know it's not practical with the rail system and infrastructure we've got at present.
Shopping centres have moved out of town, factories and distribution centres have been sited for easy access to motorways.
The ideal would be rail for longer journeys, with goods vehicles for local distribution.
But that would require railheads, docks, shopping and distribution centres all to be sited within easy access to each other...not going too happen I know. That's not to say we can't have a moan about the present shortcomings though.

Do freight trains go door-door now?

I've already explained that freight trains could more efficiently transport goods over long distances, such as are presently done on motorways.
HGVs would still be necessary for more local transportation.

If the inside lane is clear or moving steady then obviously I would pull into it, that doesn't happen too often though does it?
There's always some lorry or whatsit moving slow up ahead somewhere, so there's no point pulling in just to let some mad arzes past when you're going to have to pull back out again further up.

If there is a good enough space you should always pull back into the near side lane even if you are only in there for a minute. Regular lane changes keep you alert, it shows you are aware of what's going on around you and that you are constantly using your mirrors and watching the road. Our Highway Code is one of the best in the world you know!

• Thanks
Good point, but I'm usually too busy day dreaming to be using my mirrors constantly and watching the road. :LOL: :mrgreen:

You need one of those new fangled self-drive cars! :LOL:

I don't see what lorries have to do with anything. I drive on the same motorways and when the left hand lane is clear I move over and when it's not I don't. It couldn't be simpler. The real reason the centre laners want to sit in the middle and f*ck everybody else is that they are lazy gits and as long as they are alright that's all that matters. Their words!

• Thanks
I'm not sure I've ever seen lorries as a problem; lane hoggers and pensioners who have clearly lost their wits are the real dangers.

10-30mph over the limit makes no real difference to safety if you are sensible.

Yes, unfortunately. Thankfully you don't get 'too' many on motorways, and they're normally easy enough to spot.

I've never had a ticket; now that I've written this, I'll get 5 on the way home.

Sponsored Links
Back