Worst insurance quote?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Aviva / price comparison thread got me wondering about those stupidly high car insurance quotes many of us have got over the years.

My worst valid quote (where they didn't just laugh and put the phone down) was £2000 for Third Party only on a £500 MG Metro Turbo when I was 17...

I pay £650 a year for my current car, but most of the "we sell cheap insurance for young blokes / sensible drivers / high performance cars" companies quote me anything from £2K - £2.5K, so I can only assume that 29 is old, I'm a terrible driver and I drive an Austin Allegro. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
It isn't the price of your car which makes the quote high, it is the price of the car which you are likely to hit! (& compensation etc)

The different classes of insurance for various cars and ages and experience, etc, are simply because the higher performance cars are more likely to be in an accident, especially if driven by a younger or inexperienced person.
There is also a premium for the amount of damage potentially caused by the insured vehicle, e.g. by a 4X4
I have also been surprised by the difference in locality, to the premium.

i don't even pay that for my van !! (£450) the car, Pug 406 estate cost me less than £300
my sons insurance is only £850 corsa 1.2 and he is only 19 (2nd year driving 1st year insured on his own)

Sponsored Links
My Citroen Berlingo van = £180
Skoda Fabia vRS = £165
Honda Blackbird = £190
Nissan Note= £190
All with that nodding dog and confused .com.
Unbeatable for me!
John :D

My first car was a VW Polo with a 1 litre petrol engine producing 59 BHP and having a meaty 4 gear manual box. It was 10years old and cost me £400. It cost me £1250 with £500 excess to insure it TPFT for 6months. 10years on and i now drive a 1.3l Fiesta and it costs me around £225 with £100 excess for 12 months fully comp, protected no claims, legal cover, gauranteed courtesy car.

The nodding dog company used to consistently give me the lowest quote but more recently my local brokers finds me at least one quote which gives same cover for less money, even if its only a few quid cheaper.

I was quoted £4000 when I was 25 for a 911 turbo. I never bought the car though.

Now I'm older and the premium would be about £1200, but I have kids now so can't afford the car!!

Dan

got a quote for on a nissan zx cheery turbo,3rd party/fire/theft for me and the missus to learn to drive in £2600 from the aa,ok this was about 18 years ago but the car wasnt worth that much,
BUT BOY DID IT SHIFT.oh the fun i had in that.

had a quote on an old renault 17 ts,from 1 insurance broker iro £1200
went down the road and got the same insurance from another for £300.now this was 20 years ago.
so insurance companys have been ripping peeps off for years,pays to shop around.
paying just short of £400 fully comp.me and missus windscreen cover/breakdown cover protected etc on a ford galaxy.

i got quoted £5k for my old XJR. unsurprisingly i went for a different £250 quote.

I was quoted £4000 when I was 25 for a 911 turbo. I never bought the car though.

Now I'm older and the premium would be about £1200, but I have kids now so can't afford the car!!

Dan

I'm 35 with 5 points, one short ban and pay £735 fully comp on my 911 turbo with Direct Line Can't u persuade the wife? :cool:

Well the worst quote i ever had was from NATIONAL TYRES (beware)

VAN FAILED MOT on disc brakes so called in this scam merchant
at the counter the chap says your disc pads and plates come to £460

i said yea mate see yea then he says hang on a minuite i will give you a discount but dont let my boss know new sum was £260

i said no way i had my last ones done on my other identical van done for £96 then he says ok i can do them for £112

so from £460 to £112 scammers dont go there

I feel sorry for young people these days. They have to pay £1000s for the privilige of sqeezing themself, 5 of their baseball-capped mates, and the odd jail-bait chavette into a 950cc Fiat Panda! You see them cruising around the centre of Bristol at night. Not sure what sort of attention they are trying to attract.

At least in my day, we could afford a reasonably decent set of wheels. The insurance didn't seem to be a really big deal. It certainly didn't cost anywhere near the price of the car.

My first car was a 1.6 Cortina. Some mates even had Capris as first cars! :cool: Being 6'4'', don't think that I would bother if I had to dislocate my hips to get into the driving seat of a Corsa.

Well the worst quote i ever had was from NATIONAL TYRES (beware)

VAN FAILED MOT on disc brakes so called in this scam merchant
at the counter the chap says your disc pads and plates come to £460

i said yea mate see yea then he says hang on a minuite i will give you a discount but dont let my boss know new sum was £260

i said no way i had my last ones done on my other identical van done for £96 then he says ok i can do them for £112

so from £460 to £112 scammers dont go there

What's this got to do with the price of insurance?

Dan

I'm 35 with 5 points, one short ban and pay £735 fully comp on my 911 turbo with Direct Line Can't u persuade the wife? :cool:

Do you live in the posh part of Birmingham? I was paying that on a Civic Type R at 26/27 with full no claims, no points protected NCB. I am in Streetly, and was paying less than that living in Rugeley though.

Sponsored Links
Back