A lot of people want to come here and who can blame them......

but other workers rent normal flats, and obviously, they will be available to rent before they come, and they will then be available for other people to rent after they leave.

I don't understand your idea that these homes are somehow vacant the day the seasonal workers arrive, but had been unavailable for anyone else to move in. Why didn't your local resident move into them when they were empty?

You said

foreign pickers that come over here for the seasonal work (and take up housing we don't have spare),

How can they "take up" housing that was not vacant?

Sponsored Links
I can't believe that you don't understand this John, so I can only assume that you are being deliberately argumentative. Did you wake up in a bad mood this morning.

It's because I don't agree with your belief that an itinerant takes a home from a local person.

A short-term seasonal worker has far less chance of finding a vacant rental home than a local person who registers with agencies and is looking 52 weeks of the year.

foreign pickers that come over here for the seasonal work (and take up housing we don't have spare),

If the housing isn't spare they can't take it.

Last edited:
I see this happening all the time where I live - not sure what you're area is like though. Agents asses a property, and set the rent, most of the grotty properties in my area go to either the locals on benefits, or the itinerant workers. Now the inbred locals think they are entitled to a bedroom for each of the kids, and the foreigners are happy to sleep in the living room, so they fit more people in a property, and each pays less rent. There are currently 7 or 8 people living in the 3 bed ground floor flat next door to me, and I suspect that the real number is actually a lot higher, but they view life differently, work harder, will get their deposit sorted out, and handle things better than the locals on benefits do.

The local person who looks for 52 weeks of the year, has decided that "this is the type of property I want", and I'm entitled to it, so I'm not settling for anything less". The foreigners look at a property, and say fine, we'll take it. I wonder how many generations before they become the same as the locals.

Properties are available to anyone to rent, as long as they can pass the agents criteria. This is not a case of what I believe, it's a case of what I see happening.

Sponsored Links
The local person who looks for 52 weeks of the year, has decided that "this is the type of property I want", and I'm entitled to it, so I'm not settling for anything less". The foreigners look at a property, and say fine, we'll take it.

So the home IS spare, because locals don't want it.

A bit like the job, which is vacant because locals won't do it.

There was a lovely couple living next door to me, and he was a farm worker for a few years, and he had other jobs on the farm the rest of the year; and there's a Russian who lives in the block of flats that I manage, and he finds other jobs after the picking seasons over.
I see this happening all the time where I live - ... There are currently 7 or 8 people living in the 3 bed ground floor flat next door to me,
Doggit inventing his anecdotes to suit his political persuasion. :rolleyes:
A lovely couple one side, and 7 or 8 people in the 3 bed flat the other side.
:rolleyes:
We must assume that doggit lives in a rented ground floor flat. Probably social housing like **** end!

Was the Russian an EU migrant worker? :rolleyes: You seem to know an awful lot about these peoples' business. Are you prying all the time? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
A lovely couple one side, and 7 or 8 people in the 3 bed flat the other side.
We must assume that doggit lives in a rented ground floor flat. Probably social housing like **** end!

Was the Russian an EU migrant worker? :rolleyes: You seem to know an awful lot about these peoples' business. Are you prying all the time? :rolleyes:
You come across as a bit of a snob, why are you sneering at people who may or may not live in social housing.

So the home IS spare, because locals don't want it.

Actually, and in this case, the Latvian guy who was renting it before hand, seems to have sublet it to even more people than before. I know that the Landlord realised that he could get more from renting it out as a mid way HMO, and we suspect he's ignoring the new tenants because he's still getting a good rate. It's been rented to locals in the past, so no, it's not that the locals don't want it, it's that they're not prepared to pay what he's after.

These foreign land lords are the worst ;) rent props then sub let them by cramming loads of workers into one room ;)

the props are not up to standards , dangerous , health hazard etc etc rip off the system as well ;)

The UK is to lenient with them imo

wonder if way R bee is a LL ????:sneaky::sneaky::idea:

Unfortunately Transam, it's an English landlord, and it's the wife that arranges the tenants; and they're a right pair of useless buggers to say the least. But what's even worse, is that the local environmental health won't do anything about the property, or the landlords either.

I put in a formal complaint to the email address they gave me (because no one would speak to me on the phone) and 2 weeks later, I got an invalid email address, message undelivered response.

He even manages to adjust his imaginary anecdotes to suit any criticisms. :rolleyes:

Actually, and in this case, ...

Unfortunately ..., and it's the wife that arranges the tenants; ...
I put in a formal complaint to the email address they gave me (because no one would speak to me on the phone) and 2 weeks later, I got an invalid email address, message undelivered response.
He has already demonstrated his fallible memory. Maybe his imagination is what is at fault.

But employers know they don't need to increase the wages they pay, because the benefits system will top the wages up. The likes of Sports Direct have a lot to answer for.

What would you suggest the solution is?

What a shame there's no such thing as a Minimum Wage that a person can actually live on.

Is there any organisation with the power to implements some kind of rules? Maybe we could get together and have some kind of a vote.

Sponsored Links
Back