Babies With Earrings: ARRRRGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My niece had her ears done when she was six. :eek: :eek: :eek: I was more than a little shocked at this but, as my brother-in law said, "She insisted on it!" Yes, they live in Essex. No, he's not what is commonly known as a 'chav'. Actually, he used to be a solicitor - and my sister too. That's just the way they do things down there. :) :) :) When our own daughter asked about this we told her - honestly I hope - that her ears hadn't finished growing yet and it was too early to be putting holes in them. :( She got them done when she was sixteen.

This ear piercing business is complicated. Women have been doing it throughout recorded history, partly in an attempt to attract a mate but also because a swinging weight dangling from the earlobe provides continuous low-level sexual stimulation. They don't tell you that in those fashion magazines. ;)

There are worse things that parents can do to their children. Male circumcision has already been mentioned. There is of course no such thing as female circumcision. The correct name for that procedure is clitorectomy and it's been illegal in the UK for a long time now. But this was not always the case. If my memory is correct, the first two European countries to outlaw this particularly barbaric act were Denmark and France. To our shame, we lagged somewhere behind. :( :( :(

Sponsored Links
i dont understand how you can feel so strongly about this subject. i dont like earings on babies but i dont see it as abusive orthe sign of a bad parent.

john what are you talking about piercings always bleed? what are you basing this on? have you had many piercings yourself? or do you do you moonlight as a body piercer?

ive had my ear pierced and it didnt bleed had my eyebrow done and same thing. but whats the big fascination with blood anyway, if they do bleed its only for a few mineuts. theres no risk of infection if there properly cleaned with the solution they give you at the shop. if a childs ear gets infected because a parent hasnt used the peroxide solution on them then i would say that is abusive.

getting your ears pierced is not pleasant but its not nearly as painful as being slapped.

my niece has beautiful curly hair but getting it brushed is a stressful experience for everyone involved. doesnt matter what magic ointments or brushing techniques you use she is always in floods of tears. the easiest solution would be to shave the girls head and be done with it, but my bro would rather subject his only daughter to daily pain because he thinks she looks better with curls. imagine putting your child threw pain because of fashion.

John, you might want to read Lenny McLeans biography and watch his interview by Ruby Wax.

You don't smack your children (so you say) but you support other people abusing their babies by having their ears pierced, possibly leading to deformity or infection. And yes, they do always bleed.

There is a big, big difference between smacking a naughty child and hitting it.

John, I dont agree with babies getting their ears pierced. Have you not understood that yet? I have not in any post said I thought it was OK. Your are either stupid, ignorant or blinkered to think that. In fact I stated that in an earlier post!

Smacking is not hitting then?

Would you like to consider the words slapping, striking, wholloping, levelling? All alternative words for 'smacking'!

I cannot begin to reason with you, as you are ignorant and in my opinion a bit stupid (albeit you can spell). Maybe your drunk when you post?

David

Sponsored Links
Moving on from earrings, how many folk here would "force" their children to eat what they eat (ie if you're vegan, so are your kids) or to worship in the same place you do?

And if you do, is that acceptable?

Not in the same category, but I'm interested how people feel on this one.

Personally I would not make my child eat anything they did not want to eat, let alone force my diet onto them.

Same as religion: I would not take my children to my place of worship.

I think things like this can only be decided when the child feels she/he can make their own decisions.

Forcing kids to do things they might not want to do is all part of being a good parent. We even force them to do things when we ourselves would not want to do it.

I was forced to go to bed when I wanted to stay up,
I was forced to get up when all I wanted to do was sleep,
I was forced to go to the doctors for injections I did not want,
I was forced to go to the dentist to have teeth pulled out,
I, was forced to attend school,
I was forced to stay at home, sometimes in bed while recovering from some illness,
I was forced to have an operation aged eight to remove my appendix,
I was forced to take disgusting tasting medicine when not well,
I was taught (some might say forced) to be polite to my elders, even if I did not want to be polite,
I was forced to learn the Green Cross Code,

Thank you mum and dad. :LOL:

Addendum,
My parents even lied to me as a child, for that I also thank them. :LOL:

I have spent most of my life full of self doubt.

Thank god for general chat on Diynot, I now know compared to you people I'm a effing genius.

John, all of those things were done for your own benefit, permanently scarring a child for the sake of aesthetics or religious belief is just stupid.

if the child wanted to bungie jump at the age of 6 would you let them?

as for religion, I see on harm in taking a child to church and educating them about a religion, if they choose at a later date to not go that's up to them.. if at any time they say they do not want to go you don't force them.

it's like everything else, if you took them to karate and they didn't like it you wouldn't force them to go every week..

John, all of those things were done for your own benefit, permanently scarring a child for the sake of aesthetics or religious belief is just stupid.

You are pushing against an open door. I do not believe in ear piercing or forcing kids to bungee jump.

I was, pointing out (amusingly I thought) that sometimes you dohave to force kids to do things they don't want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back