Brexit one year on - so what are the advantages?

• Thread starter Deleted member 174758
  • Start date
It's worth considering what would have happened if the remain vote had won. The continued influence the leave party (or parties) would have on UK politics in the same way the SNP has on Scottish politics. You'd end up with a growing nationalist movement taking millions of votes away from the real issues, continued parliament time and energy discussing leave etc... UKIP were on the verge of a break-though into parliament, who knows where it would have gone? They'd continue to be a nuisance in local elections, getting inappropriate people into local power as a protest vote, not to mention the skew that PR gives for MEP elections

this is very interesting point, it’s not something we ever see discussed.

How much did the British public care about EU membership? Without the referendum the majority of people would’ve had little interest.

Most of the EU hatred has been stoked by decades of gas lighting by the media and the govt playing a blame game.

We’ve left the EU now, we will all suffer the damage and restrictions on our freedom for a long time to come. Let’s hope this govt which is damaging this country gets kicked out soon.

Sponsored Links
IMHO this has been the problem all along. Conflating the government in charge with the referendum question. The leave vote was not supposed to be a vote for Nigel Farage, or even a vote for 'Vote Leave'. It was not supposed to be a vote for the next government. It was not a vote 'against Europe' We were supposed to have a bipartisan, grown-up discussion about the merits of membership and then make an informed vote. I didn't see much of this outside of the usual political discussions between the parties involved, and the usual mud-slinging about dog-whistle racism/xeonophobia vs lack of sovereignty or whatever. The trouble is, that the detail counts, and we don't get to vote on most of that detail. We just get the one question: Are you happy with what you got, or do you want to try something else? As for the last election we had an opposition leader who didn't know his arse from his elbow. I didn't feel I had much of a choice there. I do sympathise with your position on how it played out (badly), but have you considered the alternatives?

you make some interesting and valid points.

“There was never a grown up discussion of the merits of membership.”

True, half the problem is The British public have never had much knowledge of EU membership and still don’t.

It’s easy to persuade people the grass is greener if the benefits of the status quo are not even noticed.

there has never been a sensible discussion of either the benefits nor issues with membership.
Nor has there ever been a discussion about the comparison of EU membership and the Brexit destination.

Did Boris start this thread, did a brexer start this thread? The thread was started by a remainer for the sole purpose of remainers jumping in and having their own little w@nkfest over how badly they perceive brexit to have gone. Pathetic.
They don't like it when someone steps in and disagrees, and even less so when that someone exposes their lies.
It’s funny how the really angry one is Fillyboy.

but hey you’ve got a hard job fabricating bulls hit everyday to prop up the Brexit clusterfluck.

it’s frankly pathetic how you fawn over the endless Brexit failure…..when are you going to take responsibility for the damage you have inflicted on this country.

Sponsored Links
Fastest rate of growth among G7 countries in 2021 and the same is forecast for 2022

Record year for the LSE with the highest levels of fund raising since 2007

Tech investment into the UK was 26 billion in 2021, up from 11.5 billion in 2020. That's double the investment in Germany and three times more than France.

Unemployment at a record low of 4.2%

We now have one of the highest 'living wage' levels in the world

Despite being over 40% owned by Renault, Nissan chose to stay and invest their big bucks in Sunderland, their most efficient plant in Europe. Now they've chosen Sunderland for their new giga factory, 1000's of new jobs.

Royal Dutch Shell announced it will move its global headquarters and tax residency from the Netherlands to the UK

UK has jumped from 8th place to 4th place on the International trade barrier index.

Highest vaccine booster rollout in Europe, (excepting Iceland), double the EU average.

We got the fish.

And that's just for starters.(y)

That's why they are still members. They are no less nationalistic than us. They make it work for themselves

The EU worked very well for the UK

we had more opt outs than any other nation and were a major player with a great deal of influence.

UK enjoyed considerable inward investment due to single market access.

the major problems the UK is suffering now is due to loss of being in the Single Market and we’ve yielded no benefits from leaving.

Yeah shame the reality is very different.

it’s easy to have a faster growth rate when you start at the bottom :ROFLMAO:

so far
Port trade volumes down substantially (EUs have recovered to pre pandemic)

farmers are forked
Fishing is forked
massive shortage of workers
Inflation is outstripping wage inflation
Critical damage to supply chains
Massive increase in Brexit red tape costing more than membership

Brexit is a complete disaster, only muppets think otherwise.

nevermind more Brexit damage is happening this year, support for the sh1tshow is falling more each day :D:D:D

no wonder your stomach acid is boiling you alive :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

QUOTE="AngleEyes, post: 5131202, member: 292032"]I'd have a bet, but I suspect I won't live long enough to collect my winnings.
Is there about another 49 years left for JRM's prediction to come good?[/QUOTE]

So you promise not to keep creating sock puppet accounts every couple of months on GD for the next 49 years? Bet accepted, I'm young so I'll pop on and say hi in 2071 if you are!

CrownGlasses.jpg

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1543345/brexit-success-Boris-Johnson-pint-glasses-beer-EU-ont

So you promise not to keep creating sock puppet accounts every couple of months on GD for the next 49 years? Bet accepted, I'm young so I'll pop on and say hi in 2071 if you are!
Are you still rolling home drunk as a skunk and beating your wife? :rolleyes:

Italy has more deaths per million, than the UK, which is a more honest comparison.

But since when did it become a competition, disgraceful.
Since you introduced the concept, disgraceful.

The EU worked very well for the UK

Isn't there a similar argument along the lines of "Women/minorities should just shut-up and accept lower wages because the system is making us all rich"? An abused wife is going to be poorer outside of the relationship, but that doesn't necessarily mean she shouldn't leave. Iffy analogies perhaps, but bear with me...

There's a tendency amongst the left-wing to prioritise the individual and their rights over the rights of any entity whether it's a country, a company region or whatever. There's a tendency for the right-wing to over-state the importance of national identity. But at the end of the day people are people. They want their identity, be it country/race or whatever and I don't see that changing any time soon, it's just human nature.

The EU, meanwhile has this strange mix of the two, where they allow for instance freedom of movement to some extent, the rights of the individual... to some extent, and yet they have a system for punishing national governments for the (in)actions of the few (e.g. pollution targets) and indirectly individual tax payers. If they get things wrong from an individual's perspective (ECHR judgements) can be considered bad luck, if they get it wrong for a country it could affect large numbers of people in that country, perhaps more psychologically than in real terms.

The EU itself seems to prioritise certain things. It doesn't just sit there impartial letting markets decide. For instance it prioritises keeping food production in the EU. You could make similar arguments about other industries, how they also need to be kept in the EU, but it's funny how this always seems to suit the members with the most voting rights. If these policies disadvantage certain countries (e.g. the ones with small amounts of agricultural land) then it doesn't matter how much money everyone is making. People get a bad taste in their mouths. They *feel* disadvantaged. And it's the feeling that counts here.

FOM is a great example of something suiting industry. It gets you 100s of strawberry pickers when you need them, but if you don't count in the right number of midwives, teachers, doctors, you're going to have some problems. Industry makes $$$, at the expense of health service provision. How do you measure this? Or do you just believe the HS reduction is negligible? Is it just a temporary glitch that you discount completely from any arguments. It isn't negligible if it affected you, I can assure you. In fact it makes your ****ing blood boil. A common argument (usually without any supplied figures) is to just say people are 'scapegoating', another argument (Abbott's favourite, again figures are not her strong point) is to point out migrants are 'propping up the NHS'. You may have seen a couple of migrants working in the NHS, but that doesn't mean anyone is propping up anything. 'Tory cuts' are another favourite, but if you actually check the number of open positions in some of these professions (and I have) you invariably see that the NHS is hiring... or trying to hire... an awful lot of people.

In summary you need an answer to these problems instead of shouting abuse at people for not voting the way you want. If you want to re-join you simply have to do better. It really is that simple. That's why I said I believe we can re-join with the right approach, just not the way we run things now.

Are you still rolling home drunk as a skunk and beating your wife? :rolleyes:

Nah mate, I don't drink since I saw what too much French whine does to people. There is hope for you though if you turn off your modem for at least one hour every day and try and leave the house you may have a wife one day. 48 years, 364 days and counting til we can settle our bet.

Sponsored Links
Back