Of Course Brexit is Working

• Thread starter Deleted member 174758
  • Start date
Sponsored Links
Have had a few Jap cars, Daihatsu 4 track, brilliant, Mazda Eunos (MX5) , and 3 Mitsubishi Shogun 2.5 diesel , all great cars and you could mend them, not like the throw away European Sh1t

German cars are less reliable than Japanese cars in general, because

the German mentality is that, if a part is designed to be adjusted or replaced at a certain interval, it should be. And the owner will follow the instruction. And all will be well.
However, owners are not always as reliable as the German manufacturer thinks they should be.
And so, the car goes kaput.

I believe VW have reduced the oil change intervals on the 2 ltr diesel because of 'premature acidification' of the oil. Similar problems with landrover & Rangerover, excess diesel from failed dpf regens finding it's way into the sump. I much prefer diesels to petrol because of the torque, but I think the ultra low emissions targets are causing quite a few problems, as usual I don't think we're getting the full story from the manufacturers.

Retired Bloke around the corner from my place has a sunbeam tiger that he uses as a daily driver

( Not the V8 version )
? Badge change ? The Tiger was a V8. :( I did have an Alpine for a while. Nearly drove to Greece and back in it, Rome and back was another, bit shorter trip. One French toll roads wanted to charge me a fortune so had to open the bonnet and say 16 horses. Couldn't afford to use them much.
Only V8 I have had was a manual Stag soft top with overdrive,

Sponsored Links
My grandfather who was an RSM in the Military police in India in WW2 and dealt with the returning POWs from Burma. Needless to say he swore never to buy anything form Japan.

Cut to when he needed to change cars and the rabble were on strike so 6 month delivery at best. Only option was a Datsun D100 ( not sure about the D) estate. He was ashamed that it was so much better than the British car better quality design and construction.

That's what red Robbo delivered. Now that must be nearly 50 years ago and have I forgiven the commies for shaming my Grandfather who served his country with distinction.
He sounds a principled man. But in practice it was difficult to completely avoid anything japnese because they dominated the electronics market. It's another thread but the japanse, individually and as a nation, got off lightly to say the least, for what they did in ww2

Blup

? Badge change ? The Tiger was a V8. :( I did have an Alpine for a while. Nearly drove to Greece and back in it, Rome and back was another, bit shorter trip. One French toll roads wanted to charge me a fortune so had to open the bonnet and say 16 horses. Couldn't afford to use them much.
Only V8 I have had was a manual Stag soft top with overdrive,

Had a series II Alpine. Nice car.

I believe VW
Two British army engineers got VW up and running again. There was talk about knocking the huge factory down due to bomb damege but they took a look and found some of the kit was fine, sorted it out and ran it for a few years. They sold beetles as run arounds for the forces there, started investing profits and had some criticism so found someone suitable to run it all,

Really. It depends on what period you are referring to. In more recent years they have become more similar to others. Also most manufacture have followed some of Japan's original ideas. I don't think some of Taguchi's ideas have continued though, His methods survive,

Marinas and allegros er no

As for your love of German engineering

I have purchased more German engineered / built / imported products than you ever have or ever will

That has recently stopped due to German redesigning

Basically take a decent product and
Over think it turning into tat and

P*** poor tech back up from a company that no longer appears to give a S***e

Probably not even sold in Germany ? A sort of dump yer rubbish into the UK and charge an arm and a leg
For spares ??

Bit like Audis stuff yer Vorsprung Durch teknik :ROFLMAO:

Had more than one allegro - saloon was OK except as a tow car, needed suspension assisters that made the ride really hard and bouncy. Estates were very practical.
Had a Metro - again was on the whole a good car let down by the French made distributor.

BMC/BL really needed less accountants and more engineers doing the design work. That may even have placated the unions to produce quality cars. When Honda were involved they produced some really excellent cars - had a Rover 416 (a rebadged Honda Civic Concerto) which started me on owning Honda's.

Worse car make I owned is VW - Golf no1 - Oil pump external to block, leaked constantly from 6300 miles - gasket failed. Bolt at inside hinge point on front suspension wishbone came undone and nearly dropped off whilst driving. Bottom fixing of steering column broke - clutch pedal shared mounting point (known failure, appears several cars had the steering column fall off completely). Had three battery's in 21 months - so small the battery just couldn't take the starting load.
Second Golf - Injector failed, 2 years later the retaining bridge bolt failed and injectors No's 1&2 blew out of the head, covered the engine bay in diesel. Handbrake cable seized on - had to get car transported garage for repair.

Now on our 6th Honda and likely to have another. They just work when needed.

Sponsored Links
Back