Of Course Brexit is Working

• Thread starter Deleted member 174758
  • Start date
I suppose you think the Allegro, Marina and their ilk were champions of engineering with their poorly fitting doors, difficult to start engines and their horrendous handling? Similar to the Yank tat. I think some of the worst cars on the planet are US made.
More twaddle. Rather strange that large factory car parks were full of UK made cars in daily use and people not having problems with them. 100's and 100s of them.

Sponsored Links
I suppose you think the Allegro, Marina and their ilk were champions of engineering with their poorly fitting doors, difficult to start engines and their horrendous handling? Similar to the Yank tat. I think some of the worst cars on the planet are US made.

Thank God for the Germans and the Japanese.

Marinas and allegros er no

As for your love of German engineering

I have purchased more German engineered / built / imported products than you ever have or ever will

That has recently stopped due to German redesigning

Basically take a decent product and
Over think it turning into tat and

P*** poor tech back up from a company that no longer appears to give a S***e

Probably not even sold in Germany ? A sort of dump yer rubbish into the UK and charge an arm and a leg
For spares ??

Bit like Audis stuff yer Vorsprung Durch teknik :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
I have fond memories of the multiple 70's/80's cars of my youth. I used to buy bangers for £250'ish & run 'em till any money wanted spending or something better came along. I can never recall any of the Allegro's, Viva's, Capri's, Avengers, Cortinas etc etc giving me much mechanical trouble other than honest wear / tear & rotting bodywork. My ultimate goal was the 2l twin cam Fiat Mirafiori (GTi eater) which I would travel country wide to snap up but if you drove through a puddle the floorpan would drop off.

523 walkouts over a 30 month period, stood in 4 general elections for the Communist party, fairly obvious what was going on.
He was often a bit of an asset for both Leyland and Mrs T.

My ultimate goal was the 2l twin cam Fiat Mirafiori
I always wanted a Daimler Dart and a Sunbeam Tiger. Never found a Dart but made offers that were not accepted on a couple of Tigers. And a daft one on a swb 4.2 e type soft top that was accepted. Those would do 150 with a bit of work.
Also wanted a TR4 or 5 until I sat in one. Seat wouldn't go back far enough. Oddly it would in any Lotus around at the time as Chapman was 6ft. I ran a Europa for a couple of years.

rotting bodywork
A feature of German cars of that period as well. Just about all from anywhere other than maybe Saab. Early rhd 911 had to weld the floor back in all round. Bloke I sold it too paid someone to make up a brand new floor for it.

Japan fixed that even on their early cars. Probably because they used a lot of reprocessed steel.

I always wanted a Daimler Dart and a Sunbeam Tiger. Never found a Dart but made offers that were not accepted on a couple of Tigers. And a daft one on a swb 4.2 e type soft top that was accepted. Those would do 150 with a bit of work.
Also wanted a TR4 or 5 until I sat in one. Seat wouldn't go back far enough. Oddly it would in any Lotus around at the time as Chapman was 6ft. I ran a Europa for a couple of years.

My mate has a complete V8 engine that was fitted in the Daimler dart
( plod used darts for a while )

Retired Bloke around the corner from my place has a sunbeam tiger that he uses as a daily driver

( Not the V8 version )

It was japanese cars that set standards for engineering and reliability in the 70's.

Blup

My grandfather who was an RSM in the Military police in India in WW2 and dealt with the returning POWs from Burma. Needless to say he swore never to buy anything form Japan.

Cut to when he needed to change cars and the rabble were on strike so 6 month delivery at best. Only option was a Datsun D100 ( not sure about the D) estate. He was ashamed that it was so much better than the British car better quality design and construction.

That's what red Robbo delivered. Now that must be nearly 50 years ago and have I forgiven the commies for shaming my Grandfather who served his country with distinction.

Was red robbo also responsible for BL selling the mini at less than cost price?

The unions didn't help, but nor did the management. It wasn't all of any 1 side, it was both together. Then there was Thatcher that didn't want manufacturing anyway, and look where we are now.

Can't remember where I read it, but it was an interesting opinion nonetheless.

German cars are less reliable than Japanese cars in general, because

the German mentality is that, if a part is designed to be adjusted or replaced at a certain interval, it should be. And the owner will follow the instruction. And all will be well.
However, owners are not always as reliable as the German manufacturer thinks they should be.
And so, the car goes kaput.

Whereas, the Japanese manufacture similarly well-designed and built components, but know that the owners are unreliable humans, and that indicated intervals are treated as advisory, rather than mandatory.

Who knows how much veracity is in this.........

Can't remember where I read it, but it was an interesting opinion nonetheless.

German cars are less reliable than Japanese cars in general, because

the German mentality is that, if a part is designed to be adjusted or replaced at a certain interval, it should be. And the owner will follow the instruction. And all will be well.
However, owners are not always as reliable as the German manufacturer thinks they should be.
And so, the car goes kaput.

Whereas, the Japanese manufacture similarly well-designed and built components, but know that the owners are unreliable humans, and that indicated intervals are treated as advisory, rather than mandatory.

Who knows how much veracity is in this.........
Really don't know how true this is, but from experience, Korean and Japanese models generally have less repairs needed than the European models. the downside is that any parts additional to servicing can be very expensive and slow to obtain in comparison.

It is a personal observation, so no facts and figures to support it.

Sponsored Links
Back