Out of Repect I ask Remainers to Refrain from posting in this thread

We will be able to put into place more rigorous regulations after leaving

Pretty sure nobody in the EU is stopping local councils from carrying out building inspections properly - very likely to be due to government cuts and austerity.

Sponsored Links
It's just a made-up story Brexers like to circulate among themselves.

If they say it often enough they start to believe it.

Gosh thats a surprise, theres a much higher number of people age 25 and up, than there are 18 to 25.

Who wouldve thought that eh? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
You are still struggling with the arithmetic.
Admittedly, I was a bit rushed in making my arithmetical argument yesterday, so I'll repeat it slowly and clearly now.
First of all, let us remind ourselves of your original comment with which I disagreed
Notch said "remainers are likely to be young people".
I disagreed.

The age demographic of the population is as follows:
"21% of the overall population of England and Wales was aged under 18 years, 29% was aged 18 to 39 years, 27% was aged 40 to 59 years, and 22% was aged 60 years and over"
https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures...n-by-ethnicity/demographics/age-groups/latest
Admittedly these figures are from the 2011 census. As the population is getting older, any error is in your favour.
You will notice that the age group for the younger people is 18 to 39 years. So where you plucked your age group of 18 to 25 from is anyone's guess.

Then we look at the voting probability or actuality, by age groups.:
"The results found that 64% of those young people who were registered did vote, rising to 65% among 25-to-39-year-olds and 66% among those aged between 40 and 54. It increased to 74% among the 55-to-64 age group and 90% for those aged 65 and over."
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...eople-referendum-turnout-brexit-twice-as-high
Let us adopt an average of 64.5% for the age groups of 18 to 25 and 25 to 39.

We know the electorate amount in 2018, which is:
The total number of UK Parliamentary electors in December 2018 was 45,775,800
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...ation/bulletins/electoralstatisticsforuk/2018
Admittedly, this is a later figure than that for the referendum. We also know that there was a surge of registrations after the referendum, so the actual figure for 2016 would have been slightly less. But if we use this figure, any error will again be in your favour.

Thus we can easily calculate how many younger voters will or did vote:
Assuming that all 18 to 39 year olds registered to vote: 29% of 45,775,800 gives us 13,274,982 young voters.
I've added a bit of colour to indicate which percentage is applied when and where.
Now of those 13,274,982 registered younger voters, 64.5% of 13,274,982 did vote, giving us 8,562,363 young voters that did vote.

Now we can take these calculations even further because from JohnD's link we know the voting patterns.
upload_2019-5-17_8-46-37.png

Let's take the 18-24 group, and the 25-34 group, and the 35-44 group. Again any errors will be in your favour.
Let us assume an average of 73% + 62% + 52%, gives us 62.3%.

We know how many young voters did vote. It was 8,562,363

Now we can calculate approximately how many young voters voted Remain.

Thus 62.3% of 8,562,363 gives us 5,334,352 young voters voted Remain.

We know the Remain vote was over 16,000,000. For simplicity, let us use 16,000,000. Again any error will be in your favour.
Now we know, without doubt, that more older voters voted Remain than younger voters, by a margin of about 2:1
Your comment has been arithmetically disproved.

Respond with personal insults, throw in any number of irrelevancies, and tap-dance around the issue all you like.
Alternatively, follow your own advice.
A clever person is one that is able to adapt and change his opinion.
A non clever person is one unable to admit being wrong,

Sponsored Links
That is entirely correct.

You chart concurs 18-25 year old voted 73% remain.

Im not sure why you want to disagree with your own findings.

Its your perogative to be deliberately wrong :ROFLMAO:
You are in denial of the obvious facts. It is not just festive who is in denial.
You will persist with your opinion despite being proven arithmetically wrong.
There is no point in me trying to persuade you otherwise.
But, in closing this discussion, I refer you back to my much earlier comment, something along the lines of 75% of a little is a very much less than 90% of a lot.
Which you are fully aware of
Gosh thats a surprise, theres a much higher number of people age 25 and up, than there are 18 to 25.

Persistent needling removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
You only needed to go back 2 pages, can you count to 2 ?
Yes, I can count to 2 (and beyond).

And I did see that chart. Which shows UK payments to the EU budget. It does not show anything which relates to the growth in the UK economy since 1974 relative to other countries.

You said you have posted a chart which was relevant to this:

And since 1974, growth in the UK has outstripped Germany, France and even the US...

Whilst being in the EEC/EU...
So why are France & Germany worse ? They're in the EU.
Can you show me where it is?

If you really are determined to claim it's the one about budget contributions then what you are doing is providing proof that making net payments to the EU has a beneficial effect on a country's economy. Is that a claim you wish to make?

persistent needling removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Although it could be argued that young people are more likely to vote Remain, it doesn't follow that they actually did so.

You are in denial of the obvious facts

Who in denial of the facts?

You said: 'It doesnt follow that they actually did so'

Err it does follow, because they did.....as yours figures confirm.

Time for you to eat your hat old bean :ROFLMAO:

Brexit Party / UKIP party manifesto`s state that their MP`s do not want to represent the UK in the European Parliment .

So what is the logic in that , OK so they do not want the Job, so why do we have to vote for them ??

Dont vote for them and they wont get the Job (simps (n))

Brexit Party / UKIP party manifesto`s state that their MP`s do not want to represent the UK in the European Parliment .

So what is the logic in that , OK so they do not want the Job, so why do we have to vote for them ??

Dont vote for them and they wont get the Job (simps (n))
It actually makes a mockery of democracy.

I can see the greens doing well, their time has come.

Who in denial of the facts?

You said: 'It doesnt follow that they actually did so'

Err it does follow, because they did.....as yours figures confirm.

Time for you to eat your hat old bean :ROFLMAO:
This is getting extremely tedious, old bean.
We know that of 8,562,363 who voted, 5,334,352 young voters voted Remain.
Therefore the rest voted Leave or spoiled their paper. That's 3,228,011 who voted Leave.
We know that of the 13,274,982 eligible young voters, only 8,562,363 did in fact vote. Therefore the rest didn't vote.
So those that didn't vote is 13,274,982 - 8,562,363 = 4,712,619.

Therefore only 5,334,352 voted Remain out of the eligible 13,274,982 young voters.
The non-voters (4,712,619) and the Leave voters (3,228,011) total 7,940,630. Considerably more than the Remain voters.

Whichever way you look at it, however much you tap-dance around it, however many irrelevancies you try to introduce, your statement was wrong.

I suggest you take your own advice.
If you won't take your own advice, how do you expect others to pay any regard to it?

You don't have to vote for them...

In the same way as people don't have to vote for Sinn Fein ;)

Sponsored Links
Back