Report on the news

Sponsored Links
So, this boils down to people thinking 'abnormal' means undesirable no matter what it refers to even though it is sometimes used for derogatory purposes - like ignorant.

This has nothing to do with it being undesirable which is what people seem to think.
Those people being lexicographers, and, by extension, those who use dictionaries.

upload_2021-10-7_18-41-43.png

Cambridge: different from what is usual or average, especially in a way that is bad

Oxford: different from what is usual or expected, especially in a way that worries somebody or is harmful or not wanted

Attachments

• upload_2021-10-7_18-38-36.png
    upload_2021-10-7_18-38-36.png
    79.6 KB · Views: 28
  • upload_2021-10-7_18-41-2.png
    upload_2021-10-7_18-41-2.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 30
Sponsored Links
I honestly believe that teachings were designed so that "mere mortals", especially those who were non-believers, would become frightened into accepting what they were taught.

I also believe violence was a part of this.

Do we now have to have a discussion about what 'typically' and 'especially' mean?
How long would that discussion have to last before you accepted the truth that "abnormal" really does not mean simply the opposite of "usual", or "average" or "most prevalent" etc?

How long would that discussion have to last before you accepted the truth that "abnormal" really does not mean simply the opposite of "usual", or "average" or "most prevalent" etc?
Yet it does mean the opposite of 'normal' - oh well.

Bear in mind I did not introduce 'abnormal' into this or the other thread.

Yours too.

I consider the homosexual people (that I know) as 'normal' yes. I would not consider a missing limb an abnormality no. An additional limb - yes.

Be that as it may, if a one legged homosexual came onto me I'd tell him to hop it.

Yet it does mean the opposite of 'normal' - oh well.
ATTEMPT #2.

Please read what I wrote.

"abnormal" really does not mean simply the opposite of "usual", or "average" or "most prevalent" etc.

Did you read the quotes from dictionaries?

Do you want to try arguing that "normal" does not mean "usual" etc?

Amazing what you can do by removing parts of someones post without showing that you have done so, and leave it out of context, isnt it.

Could almost be regarded as falsifying.
I just asked you what you meant, Troll.

I can also quote your own comment, on which you might reflect (sic):
If hole-digging was an Olympic sport youd win more gold medals than anybody else in any sport.

Can I suggest we replace the word' abnormal' with the word 'unusual'.
I think that might put an end to an argument, where some are using the definition of 'abnormal' as not usual, and others see the definition of abnormal as not normal.
Normality, is not just about what is usual. It is also about what is acceptable, or an expected standard.
Whereas 'usual' could refer to a majority, but has no implication that unusual is abnormal.

It would be unusual for me to drive my neighbour's car, but it wouldn't be abnormal.

On the news

over 200000 children abused by the “french” Catholic Church :eek:

the actual figure quoted was

216,000 :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back