Thinking About A New Car

I'd have preferred a rebuttal of my rebuttal to the statement that i am straight out dishonest in my comment.

Obviously math isn't your Forte so verbal bullying is all you have.

*Slow hand clap. *

Sponsored Links
I'm still amazed that you'd be able to guarantee (a) finding a vacant charges when you arrive at the EV charging station, (b) finding that it's a compatible charger, (c) finding that the charge point works and finally (d) the vehicle itself would actually charge properly. I still think that we are a way off having an adequate charger network in the UK. Just saying...

All of those comments are completely none issues except the last one.

The charging network is in its infancy.

I'd have preferred a rebuttal of my rebuttal to the statement that i am straight out dishonest in my comment.

Obviously math isn't your Forte so verbal bullying is all you have.

*Slow hand clap. *
I'd still like to know which wonder car it is.

Sponsored Links
A rapid charger takes 30-35 minutes to put an 80% charge in. That's the maximum you can put in charging this way. How many of the current crop of EV's will do 210 miles in an 80% charge???

Wrong question.

Remember, you can now buy the car to suit your needs.
It isn't difficult to find a EV with 400km range. Most modern medium size cars will have that. (60KW+)

Wrong question.

Remember, you can now buy the car to suit your needs.
It isn't difficult to find a EV with 400km range. Most modern medium size cars will have that. (60KW+)
I'm talking in pounds, shillings and pence, not Euros.

Sorry, but this thread is ceasing to be of interest to those wishing to discuss pros/cons of EV/hybrid ownership. There may be many on here contemplating making the transition from ICE cars & would find such experiences invaluable when all they currently have to go on are the claims of manuf. & probably bias motoring journo's.
Personal muck flinging posts are not what the majority want to read.

I can and will vouch for EV ownership where it is suitable.

I'll never go back to an ICE vehicle. Driving a ICE vehicle now just seems so agricultural.
I have saved an utter fortune as well.

Most of the criticism thrown at them is nothing more than luditeism (is that a word? lol).

So far all reports from top gear to guy Martin, itv special and Chanel 4's despatches currently all advise that electric car ownership to travel the length and breadth of the country is currently an extremely stressful and time consuming affair, and currently doesn't suit the majority of people's lives.

Add in if you heavily load the car for a family holiday the mileage drops significantly, and then added to that the degradation of the batteries in just a few years currently means that for most people with electric cars they have a 2nd car that has an ICE, with the electric car being their primary daily driver

Personally I would like an electric car to travel to and from work, and then have the family car with a petrol engine to do the job of ferrying the family up and down the country.

At present it's to early in the transition period for most to be a complete convert to electric car ownership.

So far all reports from top gear to guy Martin, itv special and Chanel 4's despatches currently all advise that electric car ownership to travel the length and breadth of the country is currently an extremely stressful and time consuming affair, and currently doesn't suit the majority of people's lives.
Add in if you heavily load the car for a family holiday the mileage drops significantly, and then added to that the degradation of the batteries in just a few years currently means that for most people with electric cars they have a 2nd car that has an ICE, with the electric car being their primary daily driver. Personally I would like an electric car to travel to and from work, and then have the family car with a petrol engine to do the job of ferrying the family up and down the country.
At present it's to early in the transition period for most to be a complete convert to electric car ownership.

Plus, I'm given to understand (from a friend who bought a new BMW plug-in hybrid last year) the battery range reduces by a third if all the accessories required for winter driving are switched on, so I imagine the same situation would apply to an EV ?

the degradation of the batteries in just a few years

Is actually not bad.

"This is the second year running we’ve asked EV owners (across all available car class types), and again the results show that as an electric car ages there is a slight but definite reduction in the average battery life available. While owners of new electric cars can rely on their batteries, with those up to two years old having around 98% of their original range available on average, drivers of older models (dating back to 2014) report a steady decline in usable battery life, with the oldest models capable of 91% of range from new."

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/1...ou-be-worried-about-diminishing-battery-life/ - Which?

Last edited:
My neighbours have a 63 plate Nissan Leaf......an older car by now but the batteries are (apparently) at around 90% efficiency. How this is is measured is unknown to me but I was impressed.
Recently they headed off to the Smoke, planning their route via charging points. It was a nightmare for them finding either broken / vandalised points or simply queues and they vowed - never again.....particularly in the dark and winter.
Anyway, some obvious questions....
1) Has the UK sufficient infrastructure to provide enough electricity for us all?
2) Surely the economic savings for EV users will quickly disappear?
3) Surely the planet has limited resources of lithium / vanadium or whatever do avoid total devastation of areas of land?
4) Has the recycling facilities of spent units been considered?
John :)

Add in if you heavily load the car for a family holiday the mileage drops significantly, and then added to that the degradation of the batteries in just a few years currently means that for most people with electric cars they have a 2nd car that has an ICE, with the electric car being their primary daily driver

Personally I would like an electric car to travel to and from work, and then have the family car with a petrol engine to do the job of ferrying the family up and down the country.

I... oooh......erm....Where to start with all of that?

Well, mostly its wrong.

Sponsored Links
Back