UK points based immigration system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought that the unqualified spouses/long-term partners of the qualified immigrant workers traditionally filled those positions? I can’t see how a single person could afford to live over here doing those type of jobs unless they were living 10 to a room and sharing bathroom and kitchen facilities with 20 others which is no life for anybody.
lots of English people have to manage on those wages whilst paying a huge amount for rent

no wonder so many people are suffering in work poverty.

Sponsored Links
Are you all hoping to be able to work in the care 'industry' or pick vegetables when the wages have been raised to £25,001.

Australia have a system for those on temp working visas. That is you do a stint picking fruit you can then extend your stay in Australia... Plenty of young Brits take that up...

Last edited by a moderator:
The minimum wage limit and Australian points system mean nothing, then

Just words to placate the not so bright.

Sponsored Links
The way it was explained to me was highly educated university students from Canada Ireland the UK would bulk up the fruit industry I was told the farmers liked this sort of labour as these were intelligent youngsters with new bright ideas that often improved the industry. This could work for other low skilled industry's

There's a fella down the road from me a little older.. He's made his money in life so retired. Got bored and found a warehouse job. Far more educated than the management he started restructuring the way the warehouse run...

It's not rocket science using highly educated student workforce from across the commonwealth.

Well, possibly.

When I was managing flats, as a rule, I much prefered foreign tenants.

None of them was living on benefits.

HMO opposite me. Full of foreigners. Generly all been good a gold and all work. The only problems we have had with drugs and other things has been when there is English in the there.

When a foreign national, who can barely speak English, secures a job that an English person has applied for then surely it says more about the English person than the foreign national?

Some on here can barely write in legible English, yet claim to have done / be doing alright for themselves.

Not sure what you mean
Well, the Government says they are going to implement an 'Australian points system' and a minimum 25k (I think - was 30k before reduction) salary for immigrants, now you tell us Australia has seasonal fruit pickers.

Well, the Government says they are going to implement an 'Australian points system' and a minimum 25k (I think - was 30k before reduction) salary for immigrants, now you tell us Australia has seasonal fruit pickers.

No I'm telling you that Australia have back packers from overseas who can extend a work visa if they work on Fruit farms. They are neither residents or citizens that come on the points system. Along with the Grey Nomads they account for alot of seasonal fruit farmers year round.

No I'm telling you that Australia have back packers from overseas who can extend a work visa if they work on Fruit farms. They are neither residents or citizens that come on the points system. Along with the Grey Nomads they account for alot of seasonal fruit farmers year round.

About thirty years ago my sister did some temping and for a few months did the accounts for a large vegetable farm. Most of the pickers were itinerant farm workers or travellers who moved from farm to farm as needed. It was obviously piece work and these blokes could earn £500 a week whereas students might only earn a third of that and last a few days. Back breaking work I would imagine. It's probably a generational thing but these itinerant workers aren't around in anything like the numbers they were so we do need foreign workers for this type of work.

It's probably a generational thing but these itinerant workers aren't around in anything like the numbers they were so we do need foreign workers for this

Back packers would be foreign
Australian Canadian. New Zealanders all have the right to work here on Temporary work visas. Generally in there gap year.

It is hard work. I did a patch in Shepperton Victoria.

As much as its hard work the Grey Nomads follow the sun and pick fruit all year round.

Grey nomads is new term for me

They are old age pensioners who sold or rented their houses and travel and live in camper vans or converted buses. They would follow the sun around Aus picking fruit... Wonderful life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back