UK points based immigration system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fruit picking has been a problem for a number of years.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44230865

There's only a couple of options. Make all these seasonal jobs more appealing to the young Brits (students etc) and the price will rise for the consumer. Personally though I think the government will just change point systems to suit shortages in certain sectors, as and when it's needed.
The fruit growing do not want students , they refuse them, they want regular employees who will care about the job .

Sponsored Links
UK has shortage of:
agricultural labourers
factory workers
carers
chamber maids
waitresses
NHS hospital auxilliary staff

I always thought that the unqualified spouses/long-term partners of the qualified immigrant workers traditionally filled those positions? I can’t see how a single person could afford to live over here doing those type of jobs unless they were living 10 to a room and sharing bathroom and kitchen facilities with 20 others which is no life for anybody.

When a foreign national, who can barely speak English, secures a job that an English person has applied for then surely it says more about the English person than the foreign national?
Maybe it says more about the employer?

Well, possibly.

When I was managing flats, as a rule, I much prefered foreign tenants.

None of them was living on benefits.

Sponsored Links
I'm happy with anyone who wants to come here if they contribute - not so bothered by their marital status though I should imagine that if they get married the rules will change.. Why do families with children contribute more btw? And why are they wild if they're single?

The point system is a step forward - people in the UK said they wanted something to happen and it's happening. It won't be fair for everyone but something needs to be done.

If a single person comes across and their aim maybe just to earn money and then send it back. Money leakages through international transfers.

If a person came with their family then they would spend more of their income in the UK having to support their family.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F526bdfc6-5357-11ea-b4ee-385bb4c8d255.jpg

If care homes shut down then the NHS will face even more severe bed blocking. Perhaps that is the plan to make it look like the NHS cannot cope when it's note the remit of the NHS.

The biggest problem at the moment is social care, home care etc. Many people working in this field are from overseas, on low pay and often with no good contract, which means they could all get sent home at any moment.

https://qz.com/1804756/uk-social-care-sector-hit-hard-by-new-immigration-plan/

Maybe all the out of work factory and warehouse workers will be able to retrain as social care professionals. I mean, if you can drive a fork lift and stack a shelf, surely you can look after somebody with dementia or COPD?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/20/uk-visa-fees-deter-nhs-staff-scientists

At £1,220 per person, or £900 for those on the shortage occupation list, the fees are among the highest in the world – and this is before charges for using the NHS and costs for sponsoring employers are taken into account.

Comparisons with fee structures in other countries, published by the Institute for Government (IfG) thinktank, show that a family of five with a five-year work visa for one individual will have to pay £21,299 before they can enter in the country.

This is double the fee charged by Australia and about 30 times the amount charged by Canada, where it costs just over £10,000 for a family for five years. Germany charges £756 for entry for a family of that size.

Yes this will go down like a lead balloon.

Britain will be stronger and better for it, obviously!

The biggest problem at the moment is social care, home care etc. Many people working in this field are from overseas, on low pay and often with no good contract, which means they could all get sent home at any moment.

https://qz.com/1804756/uk-social-care-sector-hit-hard-by-new-immigration-plan/

Maybe all the out of work factory and warehouse workers will be able to retrain as social care professionals. I mean, if you can drive a fork lift and stack a shelf, surely you can look after somebody with dementia or COPD?

Incorrect. It's the libertarians view that people can simply do other jobs. Being a care worker requires a certain temperament and caring attitude.

Stick a warehouse worker in that role or someone not suitable and it will be ripe for abuse.

It's the RWR mantra that people can simply be retrained.

I was being sarcastic!

Do the Torys make policy over a pack of fag paper?

Do they even think things through other than getting a three word slogan to sell to the masses.

No more Freedom.

No More Freedom.

I can see a job centre interview,

well John there are many care home jobs going, there is one just round from where you live, you don't need to interview for it, you can start tomorrow, in fact if you don't start tomorrow we will suspend your benefits. You said you were good at lifting things, whats the difference between lifting a box and an old person?

Why are the highest skilled EU workers not welcome?

because brexiteers told them to **** off back to their own country, so they did.

I know a few who have done that - a wealthy client of mine, bought a farm in Normandy and her husband got headhunted by a Dutch firm, so off they went.

If care homes shut down then the NHS will face even more severe bed blocking

The social care system is broken.

what happens is that healthcare trusts fiddle continuing health care (CHC) funding assessments so the patient fails the criteria. Then social services and the NHS trust argue over whose responsibility it is to pay and the the patient stays in hospital.

or if the patient is self funding, then the hospital may fiddle the physiotherapy assessment and insist on discharge without following the care act guidelines.

as regards care homes -NHS will only pay a certain amount for places and that doesnt cover the costs, so the care home have to make self funders pay a premium to subsidise.

our local care home charges £6,000 per month for nursing care...my FIL is likely to have to go there soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back