What are you drinking tonight?

Ah - Stella tortoise.

This reminded me of my first (serious) encounter with the stuff...

My mate who's returned from Australia...

At Bisley doing target marking during Queens Prize week. In one of the clubs one lunchtime for a couple of pints before my afternoon stint. Long time ago (late 60s) it wasnt a widely available tipple. And the law on minimum drinking age wasnt widely known in the clubs either (y).

Got chatting to a member of the Australian shooting team who was moaning about not being able to get any decent beer since they arrived. "Have you tried Stella?" I asked, "Its pretty good". "No mate" he said, draining his glass, "I havent".
"Would you like one?"
"Cheers, mate".

Turned out to be the best value pint I ever bought, as one by one the rest of the team turned up, and as each one arrived it was "Whaddya drinking?"
"Some stuff called Stella - its OK"
"Aright - so thats 2/3/4... pints?"
"Cheers, mate".

Sometime later, and 8-10 pints the worse for wear I returned to the hut, having missed my stint (and, natch, the pay for it), to lie down for a while. By the time that while was over Id missed the evening meal as well. I was not feeling 100%, shall we say.

Even after a night of more sleeping followed by an army fry-up I was still a tad peaky, but I did manage to resume work.

Sponsored Links
snapshotimagehandler_412243458.jpeg
11467998658590.png

Actually, the Tesco G&T was a revelation. Hard to say for sure that you cant tell the difference, as of course the CO and I knew we were drinking it, but honestly, it was pretty damned close. I think that if you like your g&t not head-bangingly strong, you could easily be fooled if you were just given a glass with ice and a slice. Something I shall try when we next have guests.

I'm absolutely going to buy more - I wont mind at all drinking that. Shall also try an experiment with adding a small amount of gin - it was so close that I wonder if adding just a little might make it indistinguishable, but still come in at only around 3% ABV

A 'Graham Norton' New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc with our Friday fish. Personally I found it a bit sharp. Mrs Mottie liked it though. She said "I bet Graham Norton has had nothing to do with that bottle of wine". I do. I think he pyssed in it but I didn’t mention that to her! It cost me £9. I think I could have bought a much better bottle of white for that sort of money. :cautious:

A2BB4876-4DCF-4085-AD7A-8F5C11A886BA.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Shall also try an experiment with adding a small amount of gin - it was so close that I wonder if adding just a little might make it indistinguishable
I did, and it did.

20ml of Sipsmiths VSOJ, which according to my calculator brought it in between 4 and 4.5%, so equivalent to a half-pint of normal beer.

A Venetian Pinot Grigio blush tonight with my mushroom ravioli. £8 from Marks's. Not bad. Not bad at all.

B5CAB518-DD54-4F0F-841C-F639EE6AC6FF.jpeg

Tonight with our Venison…….House red wine! Just wine that’s red in colour. Light and fruity with raspberry and cherry flavours. Not a classic but we still had a third of a bottle of Pinot Noir left from in the week which, quite frankly, put the 'red' to shame but at £4.50 a bottle, what do you expect?

8426A6CF-9D26-4AD6-9071-76786ED80B84.jpeg

Tonight with our Venison…….House red wine! Just wine that’s red in colour. Light and fruity with raspberry and cherry flavours. Not a classic but we still had a third of a bottle of Pinot Noir left from in the week which, quite frankly, put the 'red' to shame but at £4.50 a bottle, what do you expect?

View attachment 236862
How are your kidneys ?

Just finished off the dregs of these two bottles tonight. I used some of the white to make the best risotto I’ve ever made!
C66DDEA5-8BCD-429A-AFFF-2DB53000547A.jpeg
I had already boiled up the frame of Sunday’s roast chicken and made my own stock from it. I then just followed THIS recipe (halving the ingredients as it was for just the two of us) and added some fried mushrooms. Absolutely bloody gorgeous. :)

Sponsored Links
Back