What penalty if found guilty?

Probably the intention of getting from A-B. Don't get me wrong I am in no way shape or form advocating drink driving, dangerous driving nor driving without insurance.

Sponsored Links
The lad has been a fooking plonker, pure and simple. We don't know how far over the limit he was but from the sounds of things, it was 'the morning after' - no excuse, just trying to put things in perspective. There was no intent, per se, so to give him a sentence consummerate with someone who kills with intent 'aka murders' does seem a bit harsh, don't you think?

The lad has been a fooking plonker, pure and simple. We don't know how far over the limit he was but from the sounds of things, it was 'the morning after' - no excuse, just trying to put things in perspective. There was no intent, per se, so to give him a sentence consummerate with someone who kills with intent 'aka murders' does seem a bit harsh, don't you think?

Yes 20 years should sober him up a tad, and send out the right message. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Yes 20 years should sober him up a tad, and send out the right message. :rolleyes:

Hey, as long as it is proportional with "other" serious offences that's cool with me. But, seeing as the average "Life" sentence in the UK is 15 years, I can't see him being sentenced to 20.

The way this country has gone probably nearer 2years.

Good solicitor, an even better sob story, like his drinks were spiked, get the idea

Nearly forgot the medication story :eek:

I just heard he has been accused of driving without insurance

If true, hardly a one-off or unpremediatted criminal driver.

He can afford a Range Rover but not insurance? I wonder why that is?

...We don't know how far over the limit he was but from the sounds of things, it was 'the morning after' ...
BBC news said:
Mr McCormick, originally from Coventry, was driving a black Range Rover and was not injured in the collision which occurred shortly before 0600 BST
I don't know, does before 6a.m. Satuday sound like he'd been home and had a good night's sleep and thought he'd sobered up? Or like he on his way home after an all-nighter?

Too early to say either way...

There's only one life sentence here, and that's been given out to an entirely innocent Mum whose lost her two beloved children. Fifty years from now she'll still live in a world of grief and despair - the driver? No doubt he'll have a grown-up family of his own and a few grandchildren.

This is a profound tragedy for everyone concerned and, by everyone, I mean all of us. As a society, we have developed a far too casual attitude towards that monster in our midst, the motor car. In my opinion, access to, and the use of, a ton or so of potentially murderous mobile tin, sometimes by people who could not be trusted even to ride a bicycle, is far too easy. and, surely, the day has to come when the possession of a driving licence must be exclusive to those who are fully trained in roadcraft and are of proven competence. I know that this is far fetched and, considering our love affair with the motorcar, unthinkable to many but, that "right of passage", ie get to eighteen, get a car etc, etc, is, it seems to me, far too casual and, sadly, in far too many cases, is a prelude to tragedies and turmoil, which, in the many dangerous professions where people are exposed to danger, is just not tolerated.
In this heartrending and tragic case, I don't know what the penalty should be but, I do know that the casualness over insurance obligations, the use of alcohol etc and the competence of a twenty two year old to be driving a powerful vehicle on a busy motorway, is not unique and to many thousands of drivers it is a case of "there but for the grace of God go I".

In terms of the sentiments expressed, rather than the specific people who have suffered a bereavement in that incident, it did make sense.

Now I have to go and self-flagellate: two posts expressing support of Joe is a sign that all is not well with my psyche...

Sponsored Links
Back