What are you drinking tonight?

Another South African white tonight with our Friday fish stir-fry. I’m starting to prefer the South African whites over the French ones.

DAFF0E0C-D8BB-42B0-9A5C-7728A28F3863.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Gin O'Clock followed by a Thai beer to go with my Sainsbury’s Thai take-away meal.
01DC29B1-9300-4E5F-91A8-723E73ED41AF.jpeg

9CF827FF-3F91-4E80-8BE5-F0AC1C6122E0.jpeg

If you like orange, I can heartily recommend Tanquery Sevilla coupled with Fentimans Valencian Orange tonic.

[BTW - duck with pancakes, julienne vegetables and hoisin sauce isn't Thai :sneaky:;)]

Sponsored Links
[BTW - duck with pancakes, julienne vegetables and hoisin sauce isn't Thai :sneaky:;)]

I know. I just bought that to bulk the Thai meal up - all you get in the Sainsbury’s Thai meal is red and green curries, Jasmin rice, four mini spring rolls and a bag of prawn crackers. £8. I bought the duck separate but had to supply my own vegetables! Not enough - the Waitrose one is bigger and better for a tenner but I CBA to go to Upminster.

Sainsburys

8880886E-6FD9-4DE9-9829-D75595C3D704.jpeg

Waitrose

2A30EB77-3C09-4C11-B8D4-C492A9CA9E41.jpeg

Trouble with Waitrose is that you pop in on your way home because you need a loaf of bread and a pint of milk and you come out half an hour later having spent £57.90.

But re Thai curries - if ever you see them, the Mae Ploy pastes are excellent. They do the traffic light set, plus various others like Massaman. If you get them, pay attention to the instructions, particularly with the green. Carelessly thinking "I'll just chuck in a couple of tablespoons and a bit more for luck" results in a very challenging dish. Even as per it is nothing like supermarket ready meals.

But re Thai curries - if ever you see them, the Mae Ploy pastes are excellent. They do the traffic light set, plus various others like Massaman. If you get them, pay attention to the instructions, particularly with the green. Carelessly thinking "I'll just chuck in a couple of tablespoons and a bit more for luck" results in a very challenging dish. Even as per it is nothing like supermarket ready meals.
I might have to give that a go. We rarely have ready meals anyway and I do enjoy a bit of cooking. Nothing fancy but when I make curries and spag Bol, I make them from scratch and I always batch cook and freeze - I can’t stand the ready made sauces so maybe it’s time to try some Thai. (y)

Good tip. I used to do a yellow curry from scratch, but can't be arzzed these days to buy all the ingredients and prepare. Will give their yellow curry paste a go.

I might have to give that a go. We rarely have ready meals anyway and I do enjoy a bit of cooking. Nothing fancy but when I make curries and spag Bol, I make them from scratch and I always batch cook and freeze - I can’t stand the ready made sauces so maybe it’s time to try some Thai. (y)

The Loyd Grossman spag bol sauce isn't bad, but I suppose making it from scratch isn't much trouble.

I'll write up my Thai curry recipe for you to try Morrie, it's an absolute blinder!
Some people were temporarily partially blinded by my curry the first time I used the Mae Ploy green and thought "I'll just lob in a couple of spoonfuls and a bit more for luck"....

The Loyd Grossman spag bol sauce isn't bad, but I suppose making it from scratch isn't much trouble.
POP really. I like to make batches of a pomodoro sauce and freeze it - can be used at any time as is, or have mince added. Or whatever.

Talking of mince - I can recommend everybody buying an old-fashioned mincer and doing their own. Its so much better.

And to drag this back on topic, drink this with your linguine al ragu bolognese:

le-xv-du-president-1184723-s318_e.png

Aussie Shiraz with my roast lamb. Someone gave it to me, a bit too syrupy for me though. Didn’t drink it all so I’ll use what’s left in my bolognese sauce that I’m going to make tomorrow.

FCB0B06E-3F10-40C9-9142-D3E3685EA6AC.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Back