What are you drinking tonight?

Just quaffing it now. Not too impressed so far. My first mouthful had an overpowering aftertaste of cig ash!
Imagine drinking beer while inhaling deeply from an overflowing pub ashtray!

The next and subsequent mouthfuls were not as bad, but that's probably the senses getting acclimatised.

Sponsored Links
I can understand that. But things have come a long way since then.

The best of the AF lagers and IPAs are really nice drinks - the point of them is that they taste like beer.

The Infinite IPA above, Brewdogs Punk AF, Becks Blue need no excuses made for them. Citra do a nice one, there are some good wheat beers....

But not, AFIACT, any bitter worth having.

Sponsored Links
I imagine you'd drown. :whistle:
Although there is supposed to be some automatic epiglottis response that stops liquid going into your trachea.
I believe it only works while you're conscious, so don't try drinking beer while inhaling deeply from an overflowing pub ashtray, while unconscious. :whistle:

The trouble with bitters is the lower the alcohol, the more difficult to make it palatable. Too far below 4% and the taste isn't there. Maybe that explains the challenges with AF bitter.
I dont know why it is. IPA is traditionally a high-ish ABV, but I've not had a bad AF one yet. They are of course hoppy, which helps the flavour, but then bitter is called that because of the hops. And I recently had an AF milk stout which was fine. So I dunno.

But I do know that with a cheese, onion, and crisp sandwich an AF beer goes better than any soft drink.

Give them a try - a 4-pack of Brewdog Punk AF or Becks Blue won't set you back much, and even if you go "meh - wouldnt bother again" I very much doubt youd find them so unpalatable that youd have to pour them down the sink.

Just quaffing it now. Not too impressed so far. My first mouthful had an overpowering aftertaste of cig ash!
I knew someone once who used to flick the ash from his cigarette into his pint. He was from Belfast - apparently it was a thing there. :confused:

A Sauvignon Blanc from Republiek van Suid-Afrika with my Friday fish tonight. Turned out to be quite nice but using all my skills of wine selection that I honed over the years, I chose it because I liked the look of label! :LOL:

Being a sad bastard, along with the fact that we used to regularly visit the Stellenbosch vineyards when we lived in Cape Town in the early eighties, I looked it up online and there is an explanation for the label.

"Journey’s End has launched a new range of six wines with Augmented Reality labels. The Identity range has labels which show views over False Bay, each depicting different elements of the Stellenbosch vineyard, all of which come to life through Augmented Reality. The 80 foot medieval trebuchet, which throws cars, wine barrels and other objects during events on the farm to raise money for the local community is the centrepiece of the label and swings into action through the technology. The bees from the 40 beehives which help pollinate the vines’ flowers during flowering season, buzz busily across the label, as the national flower of South Africa, the Protea, waves in the breeze. They’re joined by the Egyptian Geese popping up while Eagle Owls and Blue Cranes soar over the solar powered winery".

There you go. Consider yourself educated. I just consider myself mildly p issed! :rolleyes:

6F7561B4-052F-4B99-9E7F-E4A7647D47F9.jpeg

That Sauvignon Blanc has given me a right thirst so I’ve switched to a Malbec while I try to give Bodds quiz thread the kiss of life. :mrgreen:

4A63DBD7-798F-4FCD-A0FB-5C89F4AA5E32.jpeg

:):)
Vile stuff. But it started the whole AF beer thing off.
Anyone remember Coaster? a watery beery tasting soft drink, I remember someone buying a few cans on a school trip when we got home they were (feigning) being blind drunk, I think Barrs Shandy had more alcohol

In my last year at secondary school, at lunchtime we used to go to a local health shop and have a foaming pint of Sarsaparilla!

A Sauvignon Blanc from Republiek van Suid-Afrika with my Friday fish tonight. Turned out to be quite nice but using all my skills of wine selection that I honed over the years, I chose it because I liked the look of label! :LOL:
Haven't seen it for a few years, unfortunately, but I used to buy a very nice unoaked chardonnay made by Danie de Wet.

Sponsored Links
Back