What are you drinking tonight?

I'm not a lover of whisky and don’t drink it much as I find it burns my throat. I dont think I’ve ever had a single malt whisky. Is there a noticeable difference between a single malt and a blended malt?

I don't like Scottish single malts. Prefer something easier drinking. Someone once let me smell the Laphroig they had bought in pub - made my eyes water. More like some kind of industrial fluid than a drink. I don't know if blended malts are usually more palatable, but one I really enjoy is Monkey Shoulder. Goes down too easily without any drama. Another whisky I like is Jack Daniels for it's easy drinking, plus it gets any whisky snobs in reach on their soap boxes telling me I should drink something more local.

Sponsored Links
My sons buy me the stuff, for birthdays and Christmas.
Usually, single malts.
I’m an idiot! Why didn’t I think of that? I once told my kids that we occasionally have the odd G&T before a meal. Since then, every birthday, every Father’s Day, every holiday they go on, I get a bottle of gin. I’m drowning in the stuff - it’s all round the place! I’ll have to mention I’m into single malts and start building a collection of them. (y)

IMG_6009.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I’m an idiot! Why didn’t I think of that? I once told my kids that we occasionally have the odd G&T before a meal. Since then, every birthday, every Father’s Day, every holiday they go on, I get a bottle of gin. I’m drowning in the stuff - it’s all round the place!

I once made that mistake, and got dozens and dozens of them, for a year or more, until I told them to stop buying it.

Trouble was, it was Muller Fruit Corner piedmont cherry yoghurt. :ROFLMAO:

A nice Tuscan red tonight. 14% though! I would never have bought anything that strong. I think our daughter brought it over at Christmas. Surprisingly smooth though. (y)

IMG_0858.jpeg

That said, even I can "get" the more obvious flavours and scents from different malts, at least sometimes.
Different ingredients, different waters, different barrels, different craftsmen and craftswomen.

The most obvious flavours come from the choice of barrels and whether the barley is smoked with peat beforehand.

I think some single malts can be a bit one dimensional. I often ended up preferring blended scotch whisky. I mean traditional blended whisky, not blended malt, which seems to be a more modern invention.

Last edited:
The main reason why American whiskies like Jack Daniels and Jim Beam taste so different to Scotch Whisky, is because of the barrels. Bourbon has to use brand new oak barrels which have been charred. This new oak gives strong and distinctive flavours and is slightly sweet. Scotch whisky uses barrels which have previously been used for some other alcoholic drink, usually bourbon or sherry. This gives a much subtler and more complex flavour.

Pinot Grigio. Came as part of a £12 Sainsbury’s meal deal I bought for in the week.

I'm having a couple of Bavaria 0%.
A Christmas present from the middle lad, bless him.

Too much again. But was a lovely wake.
Lovely talking to old friends. And my favourite Irish friends.

Sponsored Links
Back